New Viper Mod

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could this be a new viper mod angling the throttle bodies down 7 degrees? I found this on youtube today, this guy has 4 other videos posted also :2tu:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcxp4Nf_OjU&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/media]

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would you listen to anything someone would say that has a wing like that?

I'm still dizzy from the video.

'Trust'

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting concept. A lot of times when the back two cylinders lean out it's because they are usually the last to get coolant and fresh air = hot, which makes them prone to detonate. I'd be curious to see how that works.

On another note, his TB setup is crazy, and that wing is absolutely horrible. My gen 3 intake should solve the issue if he's correct.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice swimming pool on the inner fender.:)

Interesting idea, is there a follow-up that discloses the results of the plug test? Did I miss it?

Jerome Sparich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Changing the angle of the TB's won't change the flow characteristics of the intake manifold.

Might as well add a Tornado.

dipapa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a freakin big rectangular shoebox. flow problems...go figure

I guess others doing uniquely designed flow shape studied intakes should of thought of that.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you see the 4 throttle bodies? i agree this might be a mad scientist/engineer at work but I admire that he knows how to make those kinds of modifications

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he also makes a good point if the throttle body's on the gen 3 and 4 are angled seven degrees down he may be onto something with the wedge plates, he admitted in the video that this mod alone could correct some of the problems with the cylinders without his intake manifold setup, we should not discount this mod because of some questionable styling choices especially since this could be a super simple bolt on

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt he is the one who designed the 4 TB intake. It has been around for a while. It is very large and I forget what other vipers were using them but basically it is 2 gen 2 manifold stacked on top of each other.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt he is the one who designed the 4 TB intake. It has been around for a while. It is very large and I forget what other vipers were using them but basically it is 2 gen 2 manifold stacked on top of each other.

He did design and build that intake. He has been doing some inventive stuff for a while. Give credit where credit is due :2tu:

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see the video again, but he needs someone with a steady hand... man, I don't know about any of you but I started getting dizzy after a while and turned it off.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wait, what?

A 2001 and a HALF, Dodge Viper! 2001 1/2!?!

It's a LeMans version!? but wait that would make it a 94', how did he make it street legal?

IT'S A FASTBACK!?! Mustang influence too, wow love that, must have a serious amount downforce. According to another video it's pretty rare. It's been to Nurburgring and is 4 of 14. That means 13 more of these gigantic hooded, huge winged RT/10 LeMans Nurburgring cars out there! We have to find them and add them to the registry.

Man, I feel sorry for the suckers that bought them red and black ACR's. This thing blows my mind! The coefficient of drag must be crazy!:omg:

:D

--RS

VJR3

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh brother. I didn't know that a Viper made it into Disney/Pixar's new CARS 2 movie. It just needs some eyes on the windshield. :rolaugh:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
his viper styling does bring back to mind the Ridelow RT/10 with the leopard engine, but like I said with that aside is it possible that he stumbled upon something that is a easy bolt on that would improve all our vipers? it should be easy to install and to test out, I wish he had the results posted

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That wing has got to go in the garbage.
I didnt see him post any video of the plugs after a run? :dunno:
Did it help...who knows and you would have to try it on a stock intake anyway not that 1 off thing.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree, the thing that made me go "he might be onto something" is that these wedge plates are on the gen 3 throttle bodies according to him

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting idea, is there a follow-up that discloses the results of the plug test? Did I miss it?

it should be easy to install and to test out, I wish he had the results posted

I just called and spoke to Doug. He said he can't really feel any difference, but has not pulled the plugs yet. He said he'll prob drive it a couple more weeks and then pull the plugs to see what they look like. He did say that his idle has gone from 600RPM to 500RPM and they had to resynch all the throttle bodies since they added the spacers.

i agree, the thing that made me go "he might be onto something" is that these wedge plates are on the gen 3 throttle bodies according to him

He said that the 7 degree angle (he said its actually 7.25 or something like that) is what the Dodge engineers credit with correcting the tendency for cylinders 7 and 8 (and often 9) to run lean on Gen 3-4s.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The flow characteristics of his manifold would be completely different from a stock Gen 2 making the results of his test irrelevant. I do love the fact he is trying different things. He should definitely focus on engineering and not styling though....

The wing and centercaps on the wheels are out there.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree thats one crazy wing, but I think this guy is more function over looks, that engine is serious

Does painting the engine a funky color and adding 2 more throttle bodies make it serious?

I will bet any amount of money that a bone stock intake will make much more power than that pos he put on that poor car.

All you need to do is watch the video and realize he is clueless, he makes several statements that contradict each other.

1) 7&8 are leaning out.
2) Air flow is being restricted due to turbulence to 7&8

Those 2 statements tell me he should be selling electric turbo's on ebay.

A lean cylinder will be because it has too much air, and not enough fuel.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a serious engine, if he did the work himself for better or worse a lot of work was done and he is passionate and serious about improving his viper, I feel people like this overall help the viper community by testing products that may yield results and if they dont we learn from their mistakes, either way the viper owners win because of people like his, crazy or not I like innovative people

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a serious engine, if he did the work himself for better or worse a lot of work was done and he is passionate and serious about improving his viper, I feel people like this overall help the viper community by testing products that may yield results and if they dont we learn from their mistakes, either way the viper owners win because of people like his, crazy or not I like innovative people

Yeah, don't slam the guy so hard, after all, many of the innovations that have been mainstreamed into automotive design came from "out of box" thinkers. This is the very spirit of innovation that America has been all about. This car might not have universally approved aesthetics, but whatever floats his boat on that score. Few non "experts" are brave enough to tamper with these motors outside of the Viper tuning establishment. Considering the fact that I don't have multiple motors lined up to blow, I don't deviate from the tried and true either, but something about this type of effort makes me smile--in a good way; all the cheese not withstanding.:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth