New Viper Mod

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
He did design and build that intake. He has been doing some inventive stuff for a while. Give credit where credit is due :2tu:

I stand corrected as I did not know he was the designer of this intake style. I have seen at least 3 other intake's exactly the same and did not think it was him.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it is a serious engine, if he did the work himself for better or worse a lot of work was done and he is passionate and serious about improving his viper, I feel people like this overall help the viper community by testing products that may yield results and if they dont we learn from their mistakes, either way the viper owners win because of people like his, crazy or not I like innovative people

There are many people out there painting dolphins on hoods, adding neon lights, spinners, 24" wheels, cup holders, side gills, front chrome things, etc, etc, etc...

All of them are passionate about the crap they do to their cars, still does not change the fact that this guy is no different than them.

The people you should be praising are people like Greg good, Stryker, autoform, Heffner, UGR, DC performance, stoptech, AEM, etc, etc.... These are the people that have improved the viper far beyond its original intent.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as i mentioned I like innovative people and the engineers/designers at those companies fall into that category, in your last post you mentioned that guy was "clueless", now you associate how you feel about him with other members that have installed side gills, cup holders and chrome piece...ect, where do you get off insulting so many viper members, why are you so aggressive? bad valentines day? :poke:

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What were the gains from that dual intake mod? Would an extrude honed intake make any difference to air flow?

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the wing and the "spiked" wheels are a little much...

But the hood has possibilities.
That design is one of the best for covering a big blower or turbo intake.... IMO
It is hard to design a raised hood with the existing lines of the Viper hood.

I'm referring to a "race" application and not an everday street car....of course...;)

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood looks OK. Diamondback made a 4" riser that looks more Viper-like (less dragster like) if you want some serious clearance.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, did you catch that this started out as a GTS? He converted it to an RT...much have been quite the salvage case...aftermarket hood, le mans front bumper, but....that wing is SOOOOOOOOOOOO UGLY!!!!

Also, he is doing all that work because two cylinders are running a little lean??? Maybe that has to do with his strange intake setup....and, did I get that right, there are FOUR tb's...two upper and two lower?????

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I m going to bring up my question again. Why is stacking two intakes better than a single extrude honed intake?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I m going to bring up my question again. Why is stacking two intakes better than a single extrude honed intake?

This is a loaded question, and you are assuming that **** contraption gains power.

Simple answer is it does not add power, and it is not better.

There are plenty of ways to improve the vipers intake manifold, unfortunately this guy did not go with any of the conventional or even the unconventional methods of doing so. He just welded 4 pieces of crap together to make 1 big piece of crap.

But to answer your question further, assuming you mean as to why a good aftermarket intake would be better than an extrude honed factory one. You can only gain marginal benefits from extruding or porting, lets say your factory intake flow like 190cfm per port(not sure on exact number but its somewhere close to this) a well extruded intake can get to say 210-220cfm or so.

There are plenty of people that can design and build an intake that flows say 300cfm per port or 400cfm per port and more if needed. Building such an intake does not mean your power is going to sky rocket you have to have all the other component capable of supporting such numbers heads/exhaust/cam/etc...

Hope this kinda makes sense, but there is no way to explain whats going on easier than this(to me at least).

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont know if it is actually better, i'm personally more interested in the wedge plate angling the throttle bodies 7.25 degrees, the plates are on the gen 3 according to the guy, they seem like they would be a cheap and easy mod if it in fact provides benefits, it also seems like it would be somewhat easy to test the results

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the rear cylinders run lean, doesn't that mean it is getting more than enough air?

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
not sure, anyone have an idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyViper
i agree thats one crazy wing, but I think this guy is more function over looks, that engine is serious

Does painting the engine a funky color and adding 2 more throttle bodies make it serious?

I will bet any amount of money that a bone stock intake will make much more power than that pos he put on that poor car.

All you need to do is watch the video and realize he is clueless, he makes several statements that contradict each other.

1) 7&8 are leaning out.
2) Air flow is being restricted due to turbulence to 7&8

Those 2 statements tell me he should be selling electric turbo's on ebay.

A lean cylinder will be because it has too much air, and not enough fuel.

This was my 2nd reply on the subject, just goes to show that YOU as well as many others don't even bother to read the points they are trying to argue.

If you don't know anything on the subject your best is to stop typing instead.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
russ i guess you did have a bad valentines day, even people like you will someday find love, hang in there kitten :poke:

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I give the guy credit for the engine work, seems like he knows more than me, but to quote a famous man, "A man's got to know his limitations". He needs to stop there and yeah, the Ben Hur wheel spikes and the cartoon - like wing, please ....

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i agree it is over the top with the styling, but i do respect the ability to make those types of engine changes :drive:

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
russ i guess you did have a bad valentines day, even people like you will someday find love, hang in there kitten :poke:

Someday people like me meet people like you in real life also. Oddly enough people like you never seem to have much to say at that point.

You can go ahead and make your personal insults, if it makes you feel any better about yourself.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh but you are the one that started it by insulting a bunch of viper owners which is why you posted a second time instructing people not read the thread after i called you out on it and russ trust me i would have a lot to say to you in person, hope to meet you at the next VIO and we can have a cup of tea

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I come in peace...

I also come in peace... Maybe the guy meant 7 & 8 are running too rich? Could be. I just know two things...

1. I would not want to get to close to his car with those spikes on his wheels. (Maybe that is his intent)

2. I know the Gen 1/2 needs some type spoiler/wing for some downforce at higher speeds, but I'm just not sure that spoiler would do it? However, I remember that the very high spoiler on the 69 Superbird was criticized only later to be found out its advantages and quickly outlawed because it beat the crap out of everything else...

I have always enjoyed kind of odd/over the top thinkers. Filter out some of the stuff and you can usually find some interesting and valid ideas. So, Doug... have fun--just stay away from me with those wheels... :) As my students say -- peace yo...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just saw this thread and for once..I agree with RussM..and that takes a lot from me. I find it funny no one has mentioned the impact harmonics and resonance across the operaating envelope has on intake design, flow, runner diameter, runner length, injector location, etcetera. Its not at all about max flow of this and that. This POS has garnered wayyyy toooo mannnny comments...and some actually come off as being serious about this "THING" on his engine. I'm all for playing around with this and that...Lord knows I do that enough...but this has got to be the epic fail of the century. My Gawd man...

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont disagree with the problems this intake design may have, the thread is really about a possible new mod which is found on stock gen 3s being the wedge plates, i was not referencing the other modified items on the engine when i said "new viper mod", isnt it possible that the wedge plates could provide benefits....yes, would it be simple to install..yes, would it be easy to test the results..yes, would it be able to uninstalled easily if it is an epic failure....yes, I just think something good could come out of this guys work for all of us, I dont have the ability to fabricate these plates but I would think it would be cool if someone with the ability to take a stab at it

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can he mean it is rich but say lean? You can only make that mistake if you don't know what you are talking about. Maybe it was opposite day when he filmed? hehe

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont disagree with the problems this intake design may have, the thread is really about a possible new mod which is found on stock gen 3s being the wedge plates, i was not referencing the other modified items on the engine when i said "new viper mod", isnt it possible that the wedge plates could provide benefits....yes, would it be simple to install..yes, would it be easy to test the results..yes, would it be able to uninstalled easily if it is an epic failure....yes, I just think something good could come out of this guys work for all of us, I dont have the ability to fabricate these plates but I would think it would be cool if someone with the ability to take a stab at it

I think the guy to be rather talented. However, I would not believe what he says or his results to be. He would proabably claim they make 100 extra hp. He just seems like a BSer that believes his own BS... :dunno:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang