New Viper teased?

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any plans to sell my Vipers. I've gotten to that point where I start keeping the cars I like, and just replacing the cars I'm "okay" about. At least we are not part of the AMG Benz club, where we lose 50% of value in the first 2 yrs :)

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya AMGs take huge hits. I've shopped around for a few. They seem to have great value on the used market..
Not every day you can buy a 130k car for 30-40k

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad I read this about the AMGs,was getting ready to get a 14 E63 AMG S beeter. Never knew they lost money like that....

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's primarily the SL, CL, and S class AMGs that depreciate so much.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd be careful with a used one (that's out of warranty). I got lucky with my E55. Bought it with 30k on it and drove it 100k with basically no "major" issues, but I've heard horror stories from other owners on repair costs for a lot of little things. The engines themselves are pretty damn tough, but tons of little nagging things that go wrong and the costs can really add up.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of the problems with AMG cars is that in a couple years the standard Mercedes model is just as fast and well handling with better fuel economy and smoother more comfortable ride. Really hurts that resale.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What residual value does Mercedes use on a lease? Maybe it makes more sense to leasae one.
Glad I read this about the AMGs,was getting ready to get a 14 E63 AMG S beeter. Never knew they lost money like that....

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final Generation Blue
Motortrend Sadness Blue
Tears of Shame Blue
Z07 Blue Past You

What a marketing fail. Might as well call it "Rad Blue". Because, well, it is rad.

:rolleyes:

At least they are consistent...consistently fail. So sad my beloved Viper brand will certainly not be around past 2015 at this rate.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can picture it now...

Beth Perretta: "Ralph, Ralph, I think I just saved the Gen V slump in sales!!!"
Ralph Gilles: "Okay, let me see..."
Beth: "Look, I added a little bit of white paint into the mix of our GTS blue color and ta-da!!!"
Ralph: "Get that on Facebook ASAP with a naming contest. Sergio will be impressed!!!"
(Everyone else at SRT listening to this conversation): :confused::dunno::omg::rolleyes::smirk:

Hilarious.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd think this was a Corvette forum or something. I've never seen more negativity from a supposed "fan" site about their own beloved car! Come on guys, Chevy comes out with a nice new vette, and everyone seems to think the sky is falling! Oh well, I like the new car.....

The negativity is not directly against the car or the manufacturer. It is pent up frustration toward SRT marketing...a group of people lead by someone who does not possess the experience, education, talent, or even passion for the Viper. Who knows how she got the job. Many of us here are very upset that the car that we love and are "fans" of will be killed off by these bumbling marketing people.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That lady was terrible at Pebble Beach Concours when SRT displayed the B&W Launch Edition Gen V the first time. Nobody was representing the car. The car looked really cheap with all that black Chevy Avalanche plastic, the gaps.. At the most prestigious car show you don't bring a car like that. The stryker show car with all the carbon fiber bling should of been there instead..

When I went to the SRT tent I saw Maurice Liang,and told him that the car looked cheap,and why there wasn't anybody representing the car. He shrugged his shoulders too,and then asked Beth if he could walk down to the car,and show it to the folks . She said ok go ahead,but don't pop the hood open, or the trunk. I was like ha ha ***!? Was that even a working car! The car was displayed on the front green at the Pebble Beach Lodge. To me Beth looked like she didn't even want to be there. No passion for nothing period.. This was also after the 1st Motor Trend article when the ZR1 spanked the Gen V at Laguna Seca. So you put the two and two together. I knew it wasn't going to be good for SRT..

I didn't know that Beth did that. Very sad. Does anyone have any idea how she got the job? She literally has no real qualifications.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you bashing Beth or anybody else at SRT?! They're just doing the best they can... ?!

Respectfully, I don't think you have any clue how bad the marketing has been. Beth is the head of it. I know for a fact that she was given a full marketing proposal by a multifaceted marketing company...essentially a roadmap to success. She categorically said no to every idea and did the opposite. As it turns out, many of those ideas are now being posted here on the forums under "why didn't SRT do this/that".

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My support for Ralph and SRT was purchasing the car-giving dozens of positive write ups during my first 4 months and 8000 adventurous, exhilarating, and trouble free miles!! I am planning on getting a 2nd-HOW MUCH MORE SUPPORT CAN I SHOW!!
I NEED and WANT the car to SURVIVE and THRIVE!! I am getting FRUSTRATED for Ralph and SRT because they have done such an EXCEPTIONAL job in bringing the Viper "back to life"-only to let a "SELECT FEW" almost SINGLEHANDEDLY "butcher" the
"coming out party" for this INCREDIBLE vehicle!! If the car was SELLING more-than the CONCERN being shown would SUBSIDE!! Everyone who posts on this forum that owns a Gen 5 seems to be EXTREMELY HAPPY- Mr. Bush aside. It takes "one bad
ingredient" to ruin the "cake"-and for the majority of the posters on this forum -who by the way are EXTREMELY SMART AND INTUITIVE- there seems to be that "feeling" of "negative uncertainty"!!! It's not the CAR- it's just the perception that is
troubling!! BTW-small teams should be SUPERBLY EFFICIENT-not extremely incompetent!! All the money in the world can't make up for a lack of common sense- put your best foot forward 24/7 and there would be BETTER results-in SALES and
PERCEPTION- which-guess what-wait for it.........would lead to MORE FUTURE VIPERS AND THE CONTINUATION OF THIS AMAZING AUTOMOBILE!!!!!!!!

+1. I don't think anyone is bashing Ralph. The only thing he did wrong was hire Beth, who has no clue how real high level marketing is done. Plus, she was never a Viper fan (doubt she is even now). Why the heck would you do that? Ralph should have known better. He should have looked at what happened with University of Michigan hired Rich Rodriguez as it's head coach...the first time they hired a non-U of M fan. He was HORRIBLE! Ralph should have engaged a marketing team that gave a sh*t about the Viper. He had that opportunity and amazingly denied it. It's not too late Ralph to change directions.

theviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever is the head of SRT marketing needs to be **** canned immediately. We do not need some idiotic second grade "name that color" contest. We need a real Viper that can compete! *** SRT and Ralph?

Beth Paretta. Want to see how pathetic Beth is? She can't even market her own Twitter page:

"I like everything automotive: racing, driving, & people. SRT & SRT Mororsports. Opinions are mine. *griffon optional."

Seriously, she can't even spell "motorsports". Didn't even bother to spellcheck. And folks, that sums up Beth. If she can't write one sentence correctly, how in the world is she going to lead the marketing of a major automotive brand? Sheesh.

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Time to apply "Occams Razor" to the marketing dilemma!! Ralph needs an "alter ego" to head up the marketing department-WHO might that be??!!

tattooed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'd be careful with a used one (that's out of warranty). I got lucky with my E55. Bought it with 30k on it and drove it 100k with basically no "major" issues, but I've heard horror stories from other owners on repair costs for a lot of little things. The engines themselves are pretty damn tough, but tons of little nagging things that go wrong and the costs can really add up.

That's the truth! Engines and drivetrains have been great for me, but the interior trim, like wood pieces and interior door handles, are crap. With the V12 TT AMG cars, the engine parts are insanely expensive, so get an extended warranty or be wealthy.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys are terrible!

Why are you bashing Beth or anybody else at SRT?! They're just doing the best they can... ?!
It seems like nothing they do will make some people happy.

So rude!!

Time to edit these posts..me thinks.

Well stated vipernut! Unfortunately, you are a voice in the wilderness. As for editing posts, I don't think this forum is being moderated at all, based on the bashing of Viper/SRT that the VCA has allowed...the sole reason for the VCA's existence. Let's test my theory shall we?

Aside from being an *******, theviper above, is nothing more than a jilted lover :lmao:

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't know that Beth did that. Very sad. Does anyone have any idea how she got the job? She literally has no real qualifications.

I'll be punished for this but upper management in the real world knows the answer to that. Legislation. Sad but true. Qualifications are a tiny part of what gets you important public positions at large public companies. Hire a questionable woman CEO for a positive imagine = have a team of highly qualified men doing her job behind the scenes.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Time to apply "Occams Razor" to the marketing dilemma!! Ralph needs an "alter ego" to head up the marketing department-WHO might that be??!!
Occam's Razor suggests that Ralph Gilles and the Viper marketing team should be let go.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we might want to be a little careful about how we discuss named SRT employees. We really do not know who screwed the pooch here. For instance, I heard that the car that went to MT that was not prepped properly was "prepared" by an independent contractor who does this sort of thing. If that is true, then we would need to know who, if anyone, oversaw that person's activities and why there were no consequences, at least that we know about, for the screw up.

The politics both internally to SRT and externally are unknown to us and will never be known to us. So the last thing we need is to be accused of more "peculiar behavior" by asking for someone to be fired. Believe me. I feel as frustrated and angry as anyone but for reasons unknown to us, things have been off track on more than one occasion since the successful reveal in NY which was, by anyone's standard, a great success.

hammerofgods

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finger pointing is not an effective strategy.
I think we might want to be a little careful about how we discuss named SRT employees. We really do not know who screwed the pooch here. For instance, I heard that the car that went to MT that was not prepped properly was "prepared" by an independent contractor who does this sort of thing. If that is true, then we would need to know who, if anyone, oversaw that person's activities and why there were no consequences, at least that we know about, for the screw up.

The politics both internally to SRT and externally are unknown to us and will never be known to us. So the last thing we need is to be accused of more "peculiar behavior" by asking for someone to be fired. Believe me. I feel as frustrated and angry as anyone but for reasons unknown to us, things have been off track on more than one occasion since the successful reveal in NY which was, by anyone's standard, a great success.

mikesax

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Without Ralph there is NO Viper-THANK YOU Mr. Gilles for your persistence, guile, determination and ALL of your effort to bring back this CLASSIC American automobile!!! Considering ALL of the
NOT so positive DRAMA with regards to the launch and REINTRODUCTION to the automotive "establishment"- My wish for you and ALL of the Viper owners out there who love this car is a wholly
committed effort from your marketing "team" to inject the marketplace with the DYNAMIC and AWE INSPIRING presence that is the VIPER!!! Tease that !! This car ROCKS!!!!!

ipetrov

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While we are busy discussing color names and marketing department flops, the C7 guys are busy arguing whether a base stock car can get an 11.4 time (and potentially 10's with tune/headers/DRs), after a bone stock C7 with a driver mod just got 11.6x @ 120.

Anyways, back on topic, sorry for the distraction. What's the consensus opinion on the right marketing person to be fired to fix the Gen V problems?

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without Ralph there is NO Viper-THANK YOU Mr. Gilles for your persistence, guile, determination and ALL of your effort to bring back this CLASSIC American automobile!!! Considering ALL of the
NOT so positive DRAMA with regards to the launch and REINTRODUCTION to the automotive "establishment"- My wish for you and ALL of the Viper owners out there who love this car is a wholly
committed effort from your marketing "team" to inject the marketplace with the DYNAMIC and AWE INSPIRING presence that is the VIPER!!! Tease that !! This car ROCKS!!!!!

Amen brother, well said.

V10lover

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Man oh man,
Sometimes I wished they waited 1-2 more years doing their homework before trying to effectively bring the new Gen V back.

We don't have a competitive engine and transmission for todays world. We have an ultra fancy luxurios interior that doesn't win races at the street or at the track.

This car needed a NEW, slightly smaller higher rev/high compression V10 engine with DOHC and DCT transmission or even an 8spd auto as an option for the ones that like to drag race and roll race. I was insulted on this forum when I said that.

Last, but never the least, the company that build vipers needs to be a little smarter and work with the aftermarket tuners and builders and also make the ECU tunable. That would increase sales dramatically and have guys like me ( racers) interested on buying the new product. The only way to improve is to change the minds and mentality of the ones that designed the powertrain on these cars with the pushrod in mind. If they don't want to change the way they think (winkles) even though they were great for the car in the past, they should move on and not kill the car that once helped to build . This is not 1992 anymore. You can't just design a Pushrod, Naturally aspirated motor with 10.3:1 compression in 2012 and hope to beat everyone changing your own gears just because you Squeezed a little more out of the engine and made the trans. shift smoother than before. And Yes, they had money to do it but spent it mostly in the racing program. I can't accept that excuse and if you don't have the money and a a solid plan you need to wait 1-2 more years in order to bring out something concrete. I am not saying anything about the SRT marketing because I agree with most of you anyways... Fiasco... Fiasco... Next time, SRT, a little less carbon fiber and interior finesse in the car and more on the MOTOR and tranny, and friendly computers please..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper