Newbie, Viper in my near future! GTS or SRT?

marky marc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am new to this forum and I am sure that this comes up alot. I am torn on what type of Viper to get.I fell in love with the viper years ago, especially the GTS. Just looks so sinister! I do like the SRT also. With the GTS I can go with a modded or do some modds myself, considering the budget. The SRT would have to be pretty much stock for a while. Give me some feedback on your thoughts.

Sleekride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A subjective question which u may have answered yourself. "I fell in love with the viper years ago, especially the GTS. Just looks so sinister!" Have you driven either/both yet? That may get you a better perspective on which way to go. Good luck in your search. :2tu:

OP
OP
M

marky marc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have only riden in a RT10, many moons ago! I am hoping to get the chance to ride in both in the near future. I am in the Houston area, and I need to meet some local owners.

OP
OP
M

marky marc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
let me know if anything goes on in Dallas or Fort Worth, I would love to get together with some Viper owners. My brother lives there.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Partial to the GTS, and have not looked back.
I've seen SRT's in traffic before and have no idea what they are until right up on it.
Can't say that about a GTS...

HEYYYYY, watch your mouth,:firedev: DEVIL-DAVE!!!~~~:nono: :omg: :eater:
The guy doesn't NEED a Viper to want to find where Vipers 'nest', now does he? He wants to SEE them up close and personal, the more the better...the better to make his decision for WHICH Viper suits him...and markymarc???----We have an '05 BLACK SRT which is outstanding (GTS Vipers ARE the best style--agreed!)....AND we just purchased an '08 LS3 436hp paddle-shifting vette...vettes are owned by a LOT of Viper people...never apologize~~~you fit right in! Good Luck on whatever Viper you decide upon. :2tu: ~juli
(don't let that Dave6666 fella fool you...;) ...he's actually quite a good guy)

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome Marky.

I am a new owner myself. My vote (obviously) is for the GTS. :D

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
mike & juli
no offense taken, by the way I have a vette also C5 vert.
Red Snake
Great looking car

Great--good to have you onboard!! Yes, Red Snake has a gorgeous GTS, rare to find red w/black stripes...see viperjon's!!!! AWESOME GTS's....we love 'em! ~juli

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
what are your thoughts on buying an already modded viper?

Questions to ask them and/or yourself.

Who did the work?
Is it a track car in any sense?
What are the mods? Cosmetic or performance?
Receipts please...?

There is nothing wrong with buying someone else's mods if they were done right. You'll save a ton of money.

I paid 50ish for my GTS and will have 70ish in it before long. Those 20K of mods worth maybe 5K on a sales sticker.

V

Venomiss

You might want to contact some of these guys right in your back yard.
This is Houston Viper website.

Page 1

See if they will let you check out a Viper from a fellow member or tell you about a car event where you can see them. Good luck and now back to Dave...;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had gen2 and now gen3..

Im gonna go with the Gen3...

On a visual scale were an F430 is a 10 and a C5 is a 5..

I think the GTS is a 9.5 and the SRT10 vert is a 9.0

But the **** pit of the GTS is a 6.0 and the SRT10 is an 8.0

The GTS power is an 8.5 while the SRT10 is a 9.0

But heres the thing..

When you drive an GTS..Well it could be an 35K$$ 1996 or it could be an 50K$$ 2002. Only you really know.

But with the SRT10..Well it's a minimum of a 50K$$ 2003 Viper..And with the eway the 2008's look people will have to get a good look to see if your driving an 2003 or 2008.

So that was a factor for me. Did I want people seeing me in the maybe 1996 and up Viper? Or the maybe 2003 and up Viper..

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the car that dominated sports car racing and won Lemans 3 times.I might decide to get a new one when they go back and dominate once again.That is to add to my GTS not replace it.Not a Lemans pedigre car then not interested. GTS Bruce

Badazzv8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went out specifically looking for a late model GTS and ended up with a Paxton '05 Mambe instead.

I still think that the GTS looks the best, and if the SRT wasn't blown, I may have gotten the GTS. However, there's something about being able to drop that top and still go fast. To me the RT/10 was never an option, so the only vert was the SRT. I would love a coupe though, so I can take it to the track. The SRT beats the GTS in every department except for looks.

Drive both and make your decision from there.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get an 08 ACR and track it.
If you can't get that then get an 08 Viper and track it.
If both are out of your price range then get a Gen II and track it.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Marky, Not sure what you want to spend but I have an '06 Blue with White stripes coupe for sale in the classified.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ive had gen2 and now gen3..

Im gonna go with the Gen3...

On a visual scale were an F430 is a 10 and a C5 is a 5..

I think the GTS is a 9.5 and the SRT10 vert is a 9.0

But the **** pit of the GTS is a 6.0 and the SRT10 is an 8.0

The GTS power is an 8.5 while the SRT10 is a 9.0

But heres the thing..

When you drive an GTS..Well it could be an 35K$$ 1996 or it could be an 50K$$ 2002. Only you really know.

But with the SRT10..Well it's a minimum of a 50K$$ 2003 Viper..And with the eway the 2008's look people will have to get a good look to see if your driving an 2003 or 2008.

So that was a factor for me. Did I want people seeing me in the maybe 1996 and up Viper? Or the maybe 2003 and up Viper..

You are an idiot too concerned with what other people think of you.
This is the most inane post made in a long time, congrats newbie.

Last edited by a moderator: