News from the SRT Seminar-long post

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you interested....for some reason I felt compelled to take notes, as no one else has shared any of this so far, some of you, especially the Bruntons of the Viper world who have one on order as I do might like to know this stuff ....This seminar had all the engineer guys present who developed the car from suspension to engine to interior etc and Herb Helbig and John Fernandez, and they were very candid both in their talks and in response to questions. So in no particular order from my scribbles on hotel stationary....

Performance...and this quote is from John Fernandez in response to questions..."the car magazines are currently under an embargo to say nothing until the magazines come out next month..the numbers I expect to see are 0-60 under 4.0, braking from 60-0 in 99 feet which is unheard of, drag reduced 7%, continuous lateral acceleration 1.19", he did not mention 1/4 mile performance and unbelievably all of us dummies, myself included, forgot to ask, we were falling all over ourselves about delivery dates, etc.

More stuff....car has what they call "smart glass" when the door is opened the glass automatically comes down on both sides an inch or so to clear the top, when you hit the start button the glass on both sides comes back up so it seals INSIDE the top for aerodynamic effeciency and sealing...as in rain, something even GTS owners understand afer the last several days!

Get this..car has a unique storage feature allowing you to hit a button on the remote and put the car to sleep, turns off all functions except essential memory like radio and computer codes and allows the car to put itself in storage for 140-180 days. put the key in the ignition and the car instantly wakes up again!

How about this...the car has an shift light! they modified that lowly white light telling you you are going from 1st to 4th to also be a RED upshift light ala race car style!

HID lights, both low beam and high..Herb Helbig spoke up..." We went to the proving grounds at 4:00am, we could not outrun these lights at 190mph!"

"Bean blade wipers" Their term means one straight blade with no other stuff hanging on it.

I missed stuff on the stereo , not an expert anyway, caught 50-80 hertz subwoofers, they said stereo guys would be impressed. Also 6CD in dash, feed em' in one at a time.

Size of the car...many misconceptions by the magazines, CAR IS THE SAME SIZE AS CURRENT CAR, however track increased 2", wheelbase increased 2.6"

How about this one...Torsional stifness increased 31%!

Wheels.. 18" front, 19"rear

Emergency brake..an extra stand alone caliper.

Aluminum radiator, hydraulic fan, no mufflers, 2 side resonators meet 80db target. My comment, sounds better than 80db.

Really amazing stuff...at least to me...lots of stuff on the car is from the GTSR...the heads are developed off the GTSR and THEY OUTFLOW THE HEADS ON THE GTSR. That is a quote. Also from the GTSR, a single piece drive shaft, upgraded gearsets that are heat treated, 44.4 Dana special bearing differential, CV joints/HALFSHAFTS, and hydralock limited slip. Cracked steel rods, investment grade rockers. All from the GTSR! By the way they mentioned you can still buy a GTSR, price is $325,000.

Other engine stuff...4.030 bore, 3.96 stroke, 505 cu. in. 3-2-1 headers. Very interesting..cylinder block being built by Zeuss, a Formula 1 company.

Ready for this...85% of torque available from 1600 to 5600 rpm!

In response to a question about Viper Days Racing...Roll bar package WILL be available after the first of the year, not developed by DC but with their input,

Only question that was not realy answered was regarding a hardtop....basically not yet.

Trivia...Front fascia is IDENTICAL to competion coupe as is the windshield surround and front light fittings.

jgfurr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great reporting! Lots of those are things I wouldn't even think to ask about, and I'd end up finding a couple months after owning the car. Definitely sounds like this sucker was engineered very well.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know stereos, but in response to the 500 watts rumor, they said 310 watts, and something about some dual something...??

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, and one other note about the stereo, it was going to be an in-dash 6 CD player, i.e., you load them one at a time, stores 6, can select which ones to eject, i.e., not a 6-disc cartridge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jandrix302