Next... 9500ci Radar/Laser Detector and Laser Shifter

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK so now I've had the car a bit more than a week and I've gotten a few things that I needed. I ordered a cover (Coverking custom), a pair of floor mats from Lloyd's and the clutch pedal mod from Roe. I have not gotten any of them yet, but they're coming.

Now I am moving onto the radar detector. I am a die hard ****** user. To me, there is no better out there. I have had a few of them and the 9500ix I currently use in my Charger SRT8 (no slouch... It's a supercharged 600HP toy :D ). No with the Viper I am likely going to take the step of going with the 9500ci. In particular, I am looking for a shifter because it has become more and more prevailing here in south Florida.

The problem I have is that I can't seem to find any previous installs of any integrated detectors on a Gen II which seems odd. I was wondering who out there may have done one. Where did you put the controller? Speaker? Display? Button pad? Ect. I have an idea of what I want to do, but others can give me some tips tricks....mistakes... Whatever... It all helps.

One thing is for certain... When I do the install, I will definitely share what I do in case the forum would like to add it to the DIY section...

So who's done a 9500ci or an 8500ci?

345s-bspinnin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you considered radar mirror? This method is prevalent in the lambo crowds and others not wanting to really mod any interior pieces.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Can't remember what model this is as it's a couple years old now but here is where I installed mine.
You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have you considered radar mirror? This method is prevalent in the lambo crowds and others not wanting to really mod any interior pieces.

Seen it but it's another $500 to an already pricey detector... I am looking for options... Good idea though! I saw one installed on an M3 once at a car show.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can't remember what model this is as it's a couple years old now but here is where I installed mine.

That's the SRX. It was the predecessor to the 8500 and 9500 series.

This helps because now I know there is space behind the center console bezel...

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score
the 9500ci is the best out there.
you dont have to modify your interior at all if you dont want to. you can have the wire run between dash panels and the tiny display will sticky back where you want it. the speaker can be zip tied underneath the dash somewhere.
thats how i did it in my spf gt40.

Timmer

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are pics of an install in a gen 4...

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are pics of an install in a gen 4...

What did you do with the GPS antenna? Since we're non metallic bodies we can mount it hidden under a body panel. Did you do that? If so where and does it work fine?

Thanks!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
That mount looks pretty interesting - would it work to mount the detector to the right and high of the mirror? I don't like having the detector hanging down and prefer it to be almost out of sight.

Also - has anyone used the new ****** Live system? Also looks pretty cool.

I JUST installed the EXACT setup that you have on my 99 rt last weekend.

I ran the wires over to the mirror with this http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120751149215&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

and the jammer (seperate unit) I ran under the car and through the firewall. It of course is out of sight and audio only.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
****** Live is okay...try the app Wayz. It is great! Better in my opinion than ******...for now.

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What you have is the 9500ix.... I am talking 9500ci... The "ci" is the concealed install unit. Everything is hidden. The only thing. Need to have in the car, that will be seen, is the control pad (mute button, ect) and the display. About 3/4" x 2" total...

The 9500ix is awesome with the additional jammer it must be great and similar to the installed version.

As for the mounting location, on the Vipers, mounting under the mirror or low in the windshield, is only a 4" difference. In theory, the best place for the windshield mounted detectors is as low as possible while keeping line of site out the front window. The reason is the laser detection. Since a laser tag (signal spread of the laser) is about 20" square, you risk not getting a signal/hit/warning if the detector is too high. I have had hits passing through traps where a buddy did not 1/2 mile behind me with his detector mounted at the visor. He subsequently lowered it.

On my charger, the height difference is far greater. On the Viper it's mere inches. I'd say your fine moving it higher...

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a Euro Sunday event a little over a week ago and at 7:30 am the CHP had laser guns about every 3 to 4 miles for my 35 mile drive on I-80. I couldn't believe they'd set up speed traps that early in the morning (guess they figure you'd speed more in light traffic and perfect weather conditions and the officers obviously like to work in the cool temps versus the heat of the day). I have the awesome 9500xi, but without the laser shifter it is very deficient for CHP speed traps that I've witnessed of late.

Cheers,
George

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's pics of mine in a Gen III. It's the older SRX, but it has (especially the laser shifters) saved me many times.

Attachments

• dashfront.jpg
    dashfront.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 43
  • New Dash Lights 1.jpg
    New Dash Lights 1.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's pics of mine in a Gen III. It's the older SRX, but it has (especially the laser shifters) saved me many times.

Awesome install! I had to look to see the display bar. Kudos to whomever did that work!

OP
OP
L

Luisv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now I'm leaning towards the 8500ci Plus... was looking at it closely and I see it is the same tech as my 9500ix but in a built in. I can get it for less than half the price of the 9500 ci. I lose the shifters, but I can add them for $250 down the road...

In any event, install is very similar...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper