Next Gen Viper have a Hemi?

fairway2002

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok I live in Detroit area. Every other person is a big thee engineer. I was out at a local island on our boat. A couple people asked me about my car. One of the people said she was working
on the RandD of the new Viper motor. It is a V-8 Hemi motor. She did sound very knowledgable. Not that I am. Anyone have info?

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, yes it does. 390HP HEMI V8, the same one that's used in the Ram 1500.

The new C7 Corvette will also get a new powertrain starting next year, 380hp turbocharged inline-5 with 8-speed Automatic Vertical Shift Overdrive transmission. Since the EPA is trying to screw us all and stop us from having fun, Chevy needs to squeeze 40 mpg out of the Vette in order for the Cobalt to compete with the Dart. I know, doesn't make sense to me either but hey, I don't work in Washington or Detroit. :dunno:

--RS

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe the HEMI design would be too tall and wide to fit under the low hood of a Viper.

The HEMI engines of the 60's were large and in charge.

A pure HEMI also tends to guzzle gas and not be the cleanest for EPA.

Current hybrid HEMI designs make the HP and Torque, but are physically smaller, bet better fuel economy, and run cleaner.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that would ****, for both the Viper and the plastic Chevy......

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't foresee that happening. Lol That is a rumor that has been floating around for a while.

I think it is fair to say that if SRT wanted to go that way, they would already have. But I highly doubt for such a limited volume car, they would make tooling changes to support a second engine, never mind the negative image of watering down a vehicle marque.

Have some faith folks in SRT. They get it. And despite EPA mandates, a car with as small a production number actually does not affect the Cafe numbers that much. With the amount of Fiat 500s being sold (to offset the CAFE), the V10 is safe I would say. :)

canadian venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A viper should be a V10 .....always..... evem if it's a 2.0l v10 with turboSSS or superchargerSSS :crazy2:

Last edited:

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If there is one thing the good folks at SRT (and Chrysler are good at, it's keeping their mouths shut about future products. If you did talk to an engineer she was pulling your leg, she worked for GM, or she hates her job and was looking to collect unemployment.

ACRucrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I live in Detroit area. Every other person is a big thee engineer. I was out at a local island on our boat. A couple people asked me about my car. One of the people said she was working
on the RandD of the new Viper motor. It is a V-8 Hemi motor. She did sound very knowledgable. Not that I am. Anyone have info?

Thinking about this, I believe half of what she was saying. It was probably the 6.2 liter hellcat that will be used in other SRT vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960