No Cats - Smog??

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thinking about removing my cats. I live in Nevada where they do the sniff test.
Maybe a dumb question but do you think I would pass?

Anaconda

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you can do it with a Viper, but I used to have a 95 Mustang, and a guy on a Mustang forum said that he passed the California emissions by retarding his timing a lot. Stock was 10 degrees BTDC, and he had it like 5 or something. The car barely ran, but he did pass the sniffer.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you can do it with a Viper, but I used to have a 95 Mustang, and a guy on a Mustang forum said that he passed the California emissions by retarding his timing a lot. Stock was 10 degrees BTDC, and he had it like 5 or something. The car barely ran, but he did pass the sniffer.

Be careful though...don't run with the timing backed off for very long or you'll heat up and burn rings.....if you're going to try it I'd do it right around the corner from where you get sniffed. Low probability of passing and risk of damage if you sputter too long. Just my 2 cents.

GimmeTheSpeed

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure about NV, but here in CA you also have to pass a "Visual" test... you will not even make it up on the dyno without cats....

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not sure about NV, but here in CA you also have to pass a "Visual" test... you will not even make it up on the dyno without cats....

OR.... At least something that looks like cats... :shocked:

I wonder if your normal corner-garage that does CA-smog tests will know what a Viper cat should look like, anyway? I just got my truck smogged last week (first I've had a smog done since they instituted the mini-dyno test), and I watched him pretty closely, and he never looked under the car. But, granted, they are supposed to visually check for all emissions components.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960