No Front Plate in a Front Plate Required State

JeremyS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was really bummed this weekend when I got a $60 ticket for not having a front plate on my car. I consider it a (somewhat) fair deal considering the day before an officer let me off for doing Mach 10.

I am still annoyed and, more disturbing, I am gun shy about taking my car out. I'm afraid to get another "no plate" ticket. I REALLY don't want to put a front plate on my car but I guess I have to . Someone once told me there is a "clip-on" frame available that you can put the plate in and then just keep in the car. If you get caught you pretend you forgot to put it back on ... you know.... blah, blah, blah...bs...

Well, $60 and a paragraph later, here I am asking ... where do I get one of those clip-on frames? Who sells them? How much?

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got pulled over by a State Trooper and he gave me a warning about not having a front plate. I have four cars...and none have a front plate...I just plain refuse. How long have you had the car? What is the likely hood you will be pulled over for the same thing? And can you afford $60 every time? I will not deface my cars for a stupid plate. Motorcycles don't need them, why do we?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you kept the front plate, in the cabin of your viper and WHEN he pulls you over you just place it in the front window before you pull over? When he ask's why you don;t have a plate on the front say "Say the Vipers don't come with front plates and your not drilling holes in your 50, 60, 70+ thousand dollar car SO you keep it in the front window?

Anyone think that'll work? Thats what I do know but haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood)

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been pulled over a couple of times for no front plate, but have never had a ticket.

I am polite to the police man. Ask him (nicely) if this were his car, where he would put the front plate?

I have had a couple of parking tickets for no front plate. Cost was $16 each. At that cost, I will just continue to go without.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Parts Rack has that item. Give Jon B a call there. Our sympathies on the future disgusting look your car will have.

Agreed. We keep the front plate under the front passenger floor mat...at least then we can SHOW a trooper that we HAVE one...never got stopped (knock on wood) yet for no front plate....and we don't want one on there either...no look-a good!~!~! :cool: ~juli~

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was really bummed this weekend when I got a $60 ticket for not having a front plate on my car. I consider it a (somewhat) fair deal considering the day before an officer let me off for doing Mach 10.

I am still annoyed and, more disturbing, I am gun shy about taking my car out. I'm afraid to get another "no plate" ticket. I REALLY don't want to put a front plate on my car but I guess I have to . Someone once told me there is a "clip-on" frame available that you can put the plate in and then just keep in the car. If you get caught you pretend you forgot to put it back on ... you know.... blah, blah, blah...bs...

Well, $60 and a paragraph later, here I am asking ... where do I get one of those clip-on frames? Who sells them? How much?

What about this excuse: "These cars have a tendency to run very hot. Having the front plate restricts air flow and can cause overheating. DC could have designed a better cooling system for these cars".

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fumbling for something laying on the floor board as a trooper approach's the vehicle is a good way to end your day, or life.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving through NY without a plate for years. The ticket is the cost of looking good. dont bother with one.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fumbling for something laying on the floor board as a trooper approach's the vehicle is a good way to end your day, or life.

Right--I would NEVER do that...I just said we keep the plate under the passenger side floor mat...I didn't say I try to whip that out after being pulled over!! Can get ourselves shot here!!! IF the trooper wanted the plate produced, I'd tell him it's under the floor mat and do I have permission to get it out for him...you ALWAYS ask permission when reaching for ANYthing in your vehicle...see, I knew all this...I just didn't state the full disclosure!~! :cool: ~juli~

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What if you kept the front plate, in the cabin of your viper and WHEN he pulls you over you just place it in the front window before you pull over? When he ask's why you don;t have a plate on the front say "Say the Vipers don't come with front plates and your not drilling holes in your 50, 60, 70+ thousand dollar car SO you keep it in the front window?

Anyone think that'll work? Thats what I do know but haven't been pulled over yet (knock on wood)
That is what I do and it works everytime I get pulled over. I keep the plate under my seat then when I get pulled over I pull it out and the cop says he swore he never saw it!!!:lmao: I'm not putting a plate on my baby!!!:nono:

Jim Wilson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a suggestion for those of you that live in a state that requires a front plate…Start a petition and get other car clubs involved. Contact your law makers and let them know what a cost savings it would be to the tax payers and how it will help the environment by producing half the number of plates.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get stopped for them to check that I didn't steal my Viper and they usually give me the excuse "Well son, you do have no front plate" and I usually answer "Officer, I know, it's that the car came from out of state and I just couldn't bring myself to punch holes in the front of this car....it just seemed incredibly wrong".

$60 ain't bad....I'll send you a $1 if you provide an address.

Regards,
Aaron

HYPRVYPR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Been driving my '02 GTS on Long Island for 5 years now. Only had one cop who thought this was an issue. He pulled me over a quarter mile from my house. My mind raced - I wasn't speeding -so what horrible infraction could I have commited? When he told me he had chased me down for lack of a front plate I had to stifle a laugh (laughing is NOT a good idea in this situation). Anyway I tried telling him there was no front plate bracket which bought me a 10 minute lecture on DOT regs. He let me go and said he'd better not catch me without that front plate (which incidentally WAS on the front floor mat) again. Fast forward 4 months. I'm cruising to my local Starbucks at 7:00 am and pass my local firehouse. There in the driveway is officer Obie. He pulls me over lights and sirens (I haven't even had coffee yet) and screams at me that he warned me once. I replied that putting a front plate on the Viper was like painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa and suggested that he go ticket one of the 20,000 Vettes on Long island for the same offense. I then said "If you want to write me a $50.00 ticket please do so but please...no more lectures". Believe it or not - he let me off again.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you live in New York and buy a Viper, it's just the cost of doing business. I know that if I don't put a front plate on the car, I will probably get a ticketor two. It's no more than an equipment violation so I could give a s^*t. Since owning my first Viper, I've only got 1 ticket for no plate. Most cops don't want to be bothered and won't write you a ticket anyway.

V

Venomiss

Wow! the only time I feel lucky for living in Kansas. No front plates required.
They still like to write tickets here....but for other things.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a suggestion for those of you that live in a state that requires a front plate…Start a petition and get other car clubs involved. Contact your law makers and let them know what a cost savings it would be to the tax payers and how it will help the environment by producing half the number of plates.

Exactly. Applying that point in reverse, recently a state senator in NC proposed a bill to require 2 plates (all for "safety" :rolleyes: ), and I contacted her to express my opposition. The response I got was that the matter was studied and would have multimillion dollar costs associated with it, so it was dropped.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been driving through NY without a plate for years. The ticket is the cost of looking good. dont bother with one.

I've had four no front plate tickets myself, three in one year in New York.
$95.00 a pop with the surcharge.
Cost of ownership.
No plate here. Ever.

Dave Moore

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Got mine on Jon B's bracket in the trunk. My guess is that i won't be getting pulled over for no front plate...it will just be an added bonus for the officer.:D :omg:

Whoaa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been pulled over Multiple times and the front plate is often mentioned even if that isnt the initial reason for the pull over. Get the front plate bracket from Jon b. put the front plate on the front floor and when they ask you just say "I just washed the car and forgot to put it back on." It has worked everytime so far without question. Cops dont care if there is a spot to drill holes, how much the car cost, or how much you feel it would destroy the look.

ulllose

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was thinking 60 sounds cheap.......the last one I received was 115.00 if i remember correctly. This also works, but its considered lying.....lol I was pulled over for no front plate in my C5, he issued me the ticket and I went to my buddys local body shop had him write me an estimate for front end damage and also the front plate bracket, but the bracket was listed as "back ordered." I then took that to court with me and they dismissed the case, no cost except alittle time of work which didn't really hurt.... I kept the estimate in the glove box for a good 6 months but the date on the estimate was kinda getting old so I really needed a new Dated estimate. Moral of the story.....It worked well and would really would have saved me a trip to court if I had it when the cop pulled me over in the first place......

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Problem is not that you have no front license plate, but more that you were doing mach 10 the day before. Don't kid yourself that, that bit of information tidbit was not passed around the donut shop. Pulled over a Viper! Those are the stories the cops talk about.

Drive within or close to the boundries of the law and you will almost never have a problem. I own 5 vehicles in Colorado and no front license plate on any. Can't say more about no tickets as I do not want to jinx my clean 11 year record on that one.

Ignore it, slow down and move on. It will probably not happen again unless you were giving the evil eye to the cop who pulled you over. They just want to show you their authority. Consider the two pull overs the best warnings you have ever received.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good question that I have been wondering about as well. I just got my viper here in Denver 7 days ago and leave the Plate in the front windshield. So far so good but again just 7 days. It of course depends on what cop you are dealing with and what mood they are in, but I am a friend with one and he told me he wont give anyone a ticket for not having the front plate on a nice car like a viper, he understands that it makes the car look bad with it on. Again depends on who and what mood though, but I think for the most part, unless you get pulled over for something else, they wont pull you over just for not having your plate on the front.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's ridiculous because it is selectively enforced. Yes it is a law. So is the 55MPH speed limit. But nobody gets pulled over for 58. And 99 out of 100 times you can pass a cop with no problem. But you get the one dick who is jealous of your car and there you go.

I got stopped by a NYC highway cop in Queens on the LIE at the tail end of rush hour. He was a few cars in front of me, and must have saw me in his rear view. So he puts on his siren and pulls way over to the right on the shoulder. I thought he was pulling over to respond to something elsewhere. I'm thinking I'm home free.

Sure enough, he comes roaring up behind me with the sirens and lightshow. He is on my bumper, a foot behind me. We were going about 35, so I knew it wasn't for speeding. I ease oever through heavy traffic on to the shoulder.

All that show for a front plate ticket. Needless to say, imagine the rubbernecking and delays he caused with having pulled over a bright red Viper. The backup was for miles. Risking people slamming into each other, tying up traffic. All for a front plate ticket.

Good judgement!

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a good question that I have been wondering about as well. I just got my viper here in Denver 7 days ago and leave the Plate in the front windshield. So far so good but again just 7 days. It of course depends on what cop you are dealing with and what mood they are in, but I am a friend with one and he told me he wont give anyone a ticket for not having the front plate on a nice car like a viper, he understands that it makes the car look bad with it on. Again depends on who and what mood though, but I think for the most part, unless you get pulled over for something else, they wont pull you over just for not having your plate on the front.

I live in Colorado. I don't think you will have an issue with it. The fine is only $20 or so anyway, even if someone does ticket you.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4