No heat

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's everyone doing? I have a question for you. I recently purchased my 96 GTS. Today in IN the weather started to get somewhat cold in the evening. I went to add a little heat and nothing. I then turned up the heat all the way and still nothing. I know these cars are for the most part only summer cars but I would like to drive it in the fall before I have to put it up for winter. I know for sure these V10's can make some heat so have any of you experienced this and know what the issue is. I hope it isn't the heater core or something major. The dial on the dash for the hot/cold setting feels like it is turning the cable so I'm not sure. For all I know the car maybe has never has the heat turned on but that shouldn't stop the heat from working. Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The heat only works when the vent selector is on floor. No heat will come out of the top vents.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
true, if you don't have the knob turned toward the right, or the heater/defrost side, no heat will come out. also, its not uncommon for the temperature knob cable to become disconnected from the heater valve (looks like the picture below, located on the right rear of the engine compartment), but that might not be the problem since you said it feels like the cable is still connected.

7107heater_valve.jpg

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Viperjohn & Snampro thanks a lot for the info. I did have the top vents on when I turned the heat up. I didn't know you have to have the floor or defrost on, in order to have the heat work. I will try that today or the next time I take the car out. Snampro thank for the picture of the controls also, it did feel like the cable was turning but I will make sure to check it out.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
I was going to ask the same question as I tried to turn the heat on last night driving back from Pittsburgh and no heat.

Was just fine with the windows closed and ac turned off but good to know that the heat works only with the vents down.

OP
OP
V

Viper44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked it out today after reading this and it works fine. I didn't know you have to have the defrost or floor on in order for it to work. Thanks again for all of your help.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I checked it out today after reading this and it works fine. I didn't know you have to have the defrost or floor on in order for it to work. Thanks again for all of your help.

I'm still trying to figure out what idiot designed the heating/cooling system in these cars! Even the ford focus has heat & cold air that comes out of the vents.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm still trying to figure out what idiot designed the heating/cooling system in these cars! Even the ford focus has heat & cold air that comes out of the vents.

I was wondering the same thing. Anyone ever modified their Snake so the heater is actually functional besides keeping your feet warm?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just saying that to the guys that are complaining

The position of the blocker gates is determined at the control knob (there's a pressure manifold as well as an electrical switch, so any change would need to be there. I would expect all we have to do is make the vent door open when the heater/defroster are selected...maybe I'll play with some other switches of that vintage and see if I can't make a mint off of this...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the Viper systems are rudimentary. That was the whole concept in the beginning remember? No ABS, low tech, high HP... ring a bell?

As snampro said. Corvettes are pretty comfortable...

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
snampro, some day we'll meet and come up with vintage Viper upgrades.

Unlike other cars, where the air passes over both the heater core and AC evaporator before entering the passageways with the doors, in the Viper the air passes:

1)through the evaporator
2)then through door #1 which directs to either dash vents or defrost/heat vents
3)if selection is AC, it comes out the dash vents with AC compressor on, if selection is vent, the AC compressor is off.
4)if selection is defrost/heat, only then does the air pass over the heater core and goes on through door #2 which selects defrost/mix/heat. Defrost and mix have the AC compressor on.

You can't fiddle with the door openings to blend the cooled air because you'd really have to make the air go back upstream to get cooled-then-warmed air to exit the vents.

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the info, you've obviously looked into this much more than I have.

you're a mechanical engineer, aren't you? we aerospace guys are better when the air is on the outside!!! I just dabble in mechanical stuff...

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well, its painfully obvious why no one has fixed this "problem" after hearing that description

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, there is a potential fix for "too-cold" AC. I'm working on it, but seems more like curing away a luxury most want to have.

Too cold AC??? I didn't think that was possible on a Viper. I seriously doubt you would have many takers to correct that.

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of the Viper systems are rudimentary. That was the whole concept in the beginning remember? No ABS, low tech, high HP... ring a bell?

As snampro said. Corvettes are pretty comfortable...

You guys crack me up. I do not see why wanting your feet to be cooled in a Houston summer requires buying a corvette. My car gets HOT in the summer.

Or wanting your hands to have a little heat with the top off in a Houston winter is wuss like either.

Now if I was asking for outside thermostat, compass, heads up display, or other gadget I would understand.

You must have a GTS.

Jump in a RT in the summer or winter with no top then talk to me. Its completely enjoyable, but if there was a small mod that could make it more enjoyable, why not?

I love my RT, but everyone modifies their car to fit themselves or their lifestyle.

My .02
Andy

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think my car is very comfortable. Although mine's a GTS I think the HVAC is very adequate. Yes, it's not as good as any other normal car but then again it's not a "normal" car. :2tu:

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, yes I have a "green" Viper with ~85,000 miles of experience. (A previous thread determined that "green" automatically means it is a '94 or '95 RT/10 Gen 1.)

Lots of the fun is in making it more fun, like the 40mm brakes, ways to get the side curtains on and off quicker (I cut half the threads off the thumbscrews so it would take fewer turns to tighten) and cutting up the center console for more elbow room. All my gizmos are pretty low-tech, really, even the fuel pump primer.

Andy, you were part of a thread asking about better HVAC controls:
http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=682506&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ac%20temperature%20control&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=682506&Search=true#Post682506

AJT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to set the record straight, yes I have a "green" Viper with ~85,000 miles of experience. (A previous thread determined that "green" automatically means it is a '94 or '95 RT/10 Gen 1.)

Lots of the fun is in making it more fun, like the 40mm brakes, ways to get the side curtains on and off quicker (I cut half the threads off the thumbscrews so it would take fewer turns to tighten) and cutting up the center console for more elbow room. All my gizmos are pretty low-tech, really, even the fuel pump primer.

Andy, you were part of a thread asking about better HVAC controls:
http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=682506&Forum=All_Forums&Words=ac%20temperature%20control&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=1year&Main=682506&Search=true#Post682506

Yup, I said pretty much the same thing. What idiot designed this. I cant see that any more weight would have been added.

Oh well the car is beautiful, & there is nothing else like it. I can live with it.

GTS02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read on a past forum about blocking a vacume line to help the cold air stay on as you increase throttle pressure. Can anyone tell me were to find and block the correct vacume line.?

snampro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the design "problems" on the VIPER are poor engineering, I think they are quick engineering. remember, they were under the gun and in a hurry. It takes time to refine things and catch all the little weird things that you don't plan on.

at least "we" won the major things, like getting a coupe in '96

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think the design "problems" on the VIPER are poor engineering, I think they are quick engineering.

What about the battery access design? Four different fasteners to get the cover off and that's AFTER you take off the wheel :bonker: Would it be so hard to have a trunk access or at least try to have a quick release panel in the wheel well.

Not that I'm complaining... :p

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The original cars had the battery in the middle of the trunk floor; only later did they move it to the drivers side rear wheel well to unbalance the front tires under braking... hey, wait a minute!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness