No Liability Clause on Work Order?

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to the local Dodge dealer and I was asked to sign a no liability clause before they would work on my viper. It stated that they would not be liable for any damage caused while car was in their possession.
Can you be forced to sign before work is done and what is the policy of Dodge regarding such a policy by a dealer?
I told them to stick it.

larry

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd run away, too. I can't believe that they would ask you to sign that! That's why they have insurance.

I mean it's like admitting 1) we're not going to take good care of your car and 2) we're going to drive the crap out of it.

I have heard of other dealers not working on Vipers because of the liability concern - it's just bad business if you ask me.

ViperBran

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It seems to me that if a dealer asks a Viper owner to sign that, they probably have no confidence in the mechanic working on your car. Maybe the service department doesnt have a certified Viper-Technician on staff. In that case, they should just tell you that they don't service Vipers. I have never been asked to sign such a form for any car I've owned, many more expensive than my Viper. I would walk away from that service department. Dodge headquarters should not allow that either. If they can't service a factory made car, they should not be allowed to have a service department.

Find another dealer.

Brandon

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There has to be a legal contract between the corporation and the dealers (independent) to prevent them from picking and choosing which cars they work on. If this becomes widespread, we may all end up with no service providers. What would that mean for my DC warranty? Sounds like it could be worthless.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By my recollection, most of the dealers around here(Dodge, Lincoln, Cad., Jeep, etc.) have had that clause/similar clause tucked into the work order for some time...NOT sure how well it would hold up in court lacking a FULL risk/benefit discussion.

gthomas

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Peoples Democratic Republic of New Jersey
It would not hold up in court. Like when you park in a garage, they usually have a sign stating 'Not responsible for..', BS, that is only there because most people would see it, and not file a claim against the company/person. The few others know better.