No longer a snake owner..

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can attest to high performance tires being junk after 3-5 years. I have an 87 Dodge Shadow CSX that makes about 400hp and the car is undriveable on the Falken Azenis tires that are on it. The tires are nearly full tread, but they drive like they're made out of Teflon. I know what the tires were capable of when they were new and you just can't compare them.

That's why I plan on putting miles on my GTS... If I'm going to install tires every couple years, it might as well be because it needs them!

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
First - I have no dog in this fight. It seems like a lot of people want to blame tires. But in this CSI time we live in, I find it odd that:

It took 8 posts before the driver even mentioned "deer" or poor driving conditions. When I talk about a wreck that I had with a deer, the first thing that comes out of my mouth is "a F!#$%^& Deer ......."

Second, in looking at the video - this appears to be a straight 4 lane divided highway - no curves. Odd that the skid marks and impact are a straight line into the wall.

Was the top up or down? How does a cell phone end up 200 feet away when most of the parts from the wreck are at the impact site?

Two months, two weeks, 2500 miles, "I'm an experienced 27 yo driver", ......

Great you're OK and the Viper saved you.

I agree that the runflat was a VERY BAD tire and probably should have never been put on the Viper, but Personal Responsibility looks to be a thing of the past. :rolleyes:

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but Personal Responsibility looks to be a thing of the past. :rolleyes:
Well you have got to be pretty dumb if your going to admit you balls'd up on the internet :rolleyes:

Looking at the car it appears the top was up, as for the phone, if you hit something at speed and the side of your car gets torn open like a tin can the phone could easy have been thrown out! How the hell you find it in the dark on the grass and in one piece is another matter :rolleyes:

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well you have got to be pretty dumb if your going to admit you balls'd up on the internet :rolleyes:

Looking at the car it appears the top was up, as for the phone, if you hit something at speed and the side of your car gets torn open like a tin can the phone could easy have been thrown out! How the hell you find it in the dark on the grass and in one piece is another matter :rolleyes:

Top was up, phone was in my pocket, A guy found it, called my phone and walking around the grass, I was in the destroyed car looking, wanted to let my family know what happened and that I was okay. Only thing that was loose in car was 32 oz Gatorade which ended up in passenger floor board.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Top was up, phone was in my pocket, A guy found it, called my phone and walking around the grass, I was in the destroyed car looking, wanted to let my family know what happened and that I was okay. Only thing that was loose in car was 32 oz Gatorade which ended up in passenger floor board.

However a few seconds later, I was climbing out the Srt 10 Viper. Looking for my cell phone which was found about 200 feet away.

C'mon man get your story straight before you file the police report/ insurance claim. "Lance, is this you?" :lmao:

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
However a few seconds later, I was climbing out the Srt 10 Viper. Looking for my cell phone which was found about 200 feet away.

C'mon man get your story straight before you file the police report/ insurance claim. "Lance, is this you?" :lmao:

Your trying to pick stuff apart, at time of accident I had phone in my right jacket pocket. Soon as I got air bag out of my face I was trying to find my phone. Are you trying to imply I was using it at time of accident?

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your car and Glad you are ok.....BUT as I said in your "add your caption" thread...Vipers are NOT daily drivers in IL in the winter:nono:. Maybe you better go with the vette next time if you are only going to have the one car.:dunno:

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry about your car and Glad you are ok.....BUT as I said in your "add your caption" thread...Vipers are NOT daily drivers in IL in the winter:nono:. Maybe you better go with the vette next time if you are only going to have the one car.:dunno:

I have 4 cars, Viper made a good daily driver, didn't drive it when it wasn't dry an clear out. I don't have a job, I don't have a place I have to worry about leaving it parked while I'm at work or something. So for a daily it suited my needs just fine.

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Just a couple before pics, Miss it, was high of 75 today.

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your trying to pick stuff apart, at time of accident I had phone in my right jacket pocket. Soon as I got air bag out of my face I was trying to find my phone. Are you trying to imply I was using it at time of accident?

I'm not trying to pick anything apart, I'm just reading what YOU wrote in your posts, lots of missteps in your details. I'm not the only one who has seen it in your posts, now we have bad weather AND a deer added to the story not to mention straight tire tracks departing the road into the cliff face. I never said you were using a phone at the time of your accident, sounds like someone might have a guilty concience or afraid others can add 2+2=4... :rolleyes:

shine

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ouch, just now reading for the first time. Glad you're OK, may want to leave further details and updates off the forum until the insurance claim is over and done, though.

Speculation is one thing, confirmation is another.

viperdrummer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had a lot of car lawsuits in my time --maybe I am missing something but not sure how a pocketed object ends up 200 feet away without the driver ejected. Maybe I did not read all posts closely.

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
those pesky deer...

thats what happen to me and i'm sticking to my story, really it was a deer but more
then one. glad your ok. go to my photo gallery and you will see i hit a pole head on.
the car saved my life. drivers compartment and passenger area had no damage. go
look at my pics and you will see what i mean. i have over 20k miles driving a viper
but when things go wrong and your out of control your just there for the ride. glad
to hear you beable to tell the story. i think, had i had newer tires i would have been
able to pull out of it. ALL WHO READ THIS, BUY NEW TIRES NO MATTER HOW GOOD
YOUR TIRES LOOK.

WANTED. - STILL RECOVERING FROM MY ACCIDENT, BACK PROBLEMS BUT ALIVE!

Zentenk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Low visibility, does that have anything to do with the blacked out headlights? Those tires do look bad, I know I need new tires... flat spotted PS1's.

Any day you park your Viper safely in the garage is a day you survived the ride with a demon.

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not trying to pick anything apart, I'm just reading what YOU wrote in your posts, lots of missteps in your details. I'm not the only one who has seen it in your posts, now we have bad weather AND a deer added to the story not to mention straight tire tracks departing the road into the cliff face. I never said you were using a phone at the time of your accident, sounds like someone might have a guilty concience or afraid others can add 2+2=4... :rolleyes:

It's odd that we are now debating over simple things, you take my posts out of context when you take them out of quotes that were replies to other things.

Not so much worried about insurance claim, I know what happened, the solid marks going off the road were from me being on brakes after avoiding the collision. Low visibility, something suddenly appearing directly in front of you can cause you to panic.

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had a lot of car lawsuits in my time --maybe I am missing something but not sure how a pocketed object ends up 200 feet away without the driver ejected. Maybe I did not read all posts closely.

Strange things happend. Years ago I was driving my 1974 Charger and I was hit by a 75 Monte Carlo right behind my drivers door when I was turning left and he was trying to pass. I had my glasses on and the window rolled up. I ended up in a ditch some 50 feet from the intersection and my glasses were in the ditch on the other side of the road near the intersection. The jolt took the glasses right off my head while the window got blown out by the collision and the glasses must have flown out of the window at the same time. Weird. No matter the story--just glad he is alright.

J&R3xV10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow it seems some of you have never been in a true accident before. A fender bender or collision ar very different from the type of accident in discussion here. I was in an accident several years back where my phone was in my jacket and it took me 20 minutes to find it in the car. Its amazing how much things can bounce around when that much force is involved. I also hit a wall but I won't suggest it wasn't my fault. I was being stupid and racing. going from 120mph to a dead stop in 0 seconds hurts.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear 10SecSleeper,

Glad you're okay, I gotta assume you were sore today once the adrenaline wore off....anyway, cars can be replaced.

Regards,
Aaron

OP
OP

10SecSleeper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dear 10SecSleeper,

Glad you're okay, I gotta assume you were sore today once the adrenaline wore off....anyway, cars can be replaced.

Regards,
Aaron

Thanks, I'm okay, I've watched the video and looked at the pictures a thousand times, I have another chance at life. My upper body is sore like I spent a day working out, my ankles are sore an have some bruises around stomach. Other then that I'm fine, here to tell the story. I spent a lot of time reading on this forum and researching car wrecks in vipers before mine happened. Followed the whole story where the guy had a similar wreck but after a month or so in hospital he passed away.

I looked at the wall knowing I'm dead, the Viper however had another outlook thanks to the engineers that made the car.

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are NOT daily drivers in IL in the winter:nono:.
Well the weather is quite different 4+ hours south of CHI. We have a few members here that do use their cars as DD's. I did an article about one of our members a few years ago on his 100k mi GTS and I started out the story "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow".. No, it's not the postman, it's Tom and his 97 GTS :cool::cool::cool:

That was a nice looking car. I hope you get another and join the VCA. I was thinking about you today on a cruise out to Wentzville and saw a sign for Troy. It was prob our last top down day for a few weeks here.

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was 3 miles north of Troy, MO
I know that area well. Hwy 61? Travel that way all the time to STL (go Cards). Lot's of limestone out croppings and the road has ups and downs like a rollercoaster. Also lot's of speed traps between there and Wedntsville. Better drive carefully there. Driving I70 into STL is taking your life in your hands. Some of those people are just crazy.

Photog1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers are NOT daily drivers in IL in the winter:nono:.
Well the weather is quite different 4+ hours south of CHI. We have a few members here that do use their cars as DD's. I did an article about one of our members a few years ago on his 100k mi GTS and I started out the story "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow".. No, it's not the postman, it's Tom and his 97 GTS :cool::cool::cool:

That was a nice looking car. I hope you get another and join the VCA. I was thinking about you today on a cruise out to Wentzville and saw a sign for Troy. It was prob our last top down day for a few weeks here.

Well I am 150 miles south of Chicago and you are correct the weather can be different south it is sometimes worse. Everythig aside why take a chance with the car if you have other cars to drive. As we all know the pavement is still not warm even it we get some warm days not to mention the sand, salt and *** holes from the winter. Yes we are all chomping at the bit to get the cars out but why take the chance in winter months.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 50 miles on my ACR yesterday here on Long Island and it was upper 30 degrees.
Roads were clean and cold. Road conditions noted.
Adjust right foot input to take into consideration limited traction.
Simple.

jckrieger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put 50 miles on my ACR yesterday here on Long Island and it was upper 30 degrees.
Roads were clean and cold. Road conditions noted.
Adjust right foot input to take into consideration limited traction.
Simple.

The day I purchased my Viper it was 30 degrees outside. I drove it home with BALD rear tires 400 miles. The car drove excellent.

It's all about driving responsibly.

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As long as you don't have to steer abrupt (avoid an obstacle etc.) etc.........................you might get away with the limited grip at freezing temps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960