No Viper Coupe

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Info from this week's Automotive News' future product series detailing model changes from 2004-2007:

Dodge Viper
"The convertible was redesigned last year; no major changes are expected. The company is no longer considering a Viper coupe."

Also listed were production stats for Viper this year. From 1/1 to 7/26/03 1354 Vipers have been produced thus far.

(If you're a subscriber, you can read the story online - http://www.autonews.com)

viperrwk

TRAMP 13

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we know one part is wrong that production number is wrong because I recieved my on June 19 and my number is higher than that.Maybe they are wrong about the coupe.

SnakeDreamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he stated it was from jan 1st and on, didn't they start producing the SRT's in late 02? in other words i think that's just a "how many were produced so far THIS YEAR" ?

TZL

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't take the word of one automotive magazine as the word of god, i'm sure they will make us wait 3-4 years before making a coupe, just like gen 1-2's

For my sake, I hope there will be a coupe version by 2005 model year. That way Dodge can also get back into GT-racing.

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still think the coupe will be built. It would be terrible marketing for Dodge's flagship vehicle and there is a ready market for it.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
he stated it was from jan 1st and on, didn't they start producing the SRT's in late 02? in other words i think that's just a "how many were produced so far THIS YEAR" ?

I believe they count production by shipments out the door and not when they were actually assembled. Since Connor was not shipping until the third week of December it is fair to say the majority would fall into this calendar year.

I also would not take a magazines word for product changes/announcements. I would wait for formal info from DC, which usually occurs around the major auto shows. FWIW I do not believe they publicly announced the GTS until the prior auto show (circa 1 1/2 years before availability).

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They definitely produced and shipped in Dec, 2002, my car was at the dealer by Christmas and it was one of the first black cars so that means the first red run was also out the dooor, I think it was 100 red, 100 black, etc to begin.

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They will build a coupe - I would bet money on it! Any takers??!

doctorbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As per previous posts, if Dodge is monitoring threads, put mine on order. Every event that I have been at since VOI7, PVO representatives have alluded to the coupe being produced. I would seriously hope and expect in 2005!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are WAY too many new super-coupes coming out for D/C to not offer a SRT-Coupe, especially with the Competition Coupe so publically visible. The new Gallardo, Ford GT, Ferrari 360's replacement, the C6 Corvette, and new Porsche 911 Turbo, as well as the higher-end Mercedes SLR, Saleen S7, and Porsche Carrera GT.

The SRT-10 Viper does very well, especially for being a convertible, but having a sub 3200lb SRT-Coupe with 550-600HP would definitely raise the ante.

Personally, I'd like to see a factory-supercharged "Super-Viper" with around 700HP+ (and for under $100K list).
That would make certain that the Viper was compared to the $400K+ ultra-exotics rather than the Mustang and Corvette.

-Dean.

snowmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only reason they would say such non-sense is so you guys don't hold out for the coupe and help out the SRT-10 sales.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They already have the coupe profile in the comp coupe. It would seem an easy task to either fit the panels to the SRT, or build a factory hardtop. I think the latter would be a challenge with the current trunk design. Aftermarket suppliers can think of ways around it, but I think DC would reject any compromises to fit and function. The coupe will come to those who wait. IMHO

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For DC to make a coupe, the panels will not simply be "fit" to the SRT. That would make it look like an SRT with a simple make-shift hard top cover. It would look unattractive. If they are to make a coupe, which I hope they do, they're probably going to make the coupe with a glass hatch like the GTS was.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope the article is wrong, but if not I hope Ford can build more GTs.

It really looks like the performance focus at DC is on the Mercedes line to me. Look at some of the incredible HP numbers the AMG cars are putting out.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all that DC S/C experience, wouldn't it make sense to launch an SRT coupe with a blower a few days after the C6 vette and Ford GT make thier debuts?? The GT will have 500 hp. It will be the first time another manuf. has equaled a Viper. It doesn't make sense to raise the bar before you see the other ones. That would just give them the chance to steal our spotlight.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dont think DC works that way with the AMG's, isnt AMG just another high end tunner who takes built cars and modifies them to their own specs? DC does not build fast family cars AMG does, which means the Viper is still their #1 sports car.

The Viper is not considered in the same league as a vette, except in the eyes of some Vette owners. As the GT will not be considered in the same league as Vipers. Vipers kinda have their own little nitch in the market, exotics at 1/2 the price of any other comperably looking or performing car. The GT is going to the the exact same thing but at almost double the price, but have the performance of an S7.

In my own personal oppinion the SRT coup has already been designed and is just awaiting the go ahead to build. Look at the comp coup, take off all the crazy wings and ground affect kit. They are just making sure to milk the srt 10 for all its worth before they steal 1/2 its customer base with a coup version.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure how the AMG relationship works, but you buy the car from MB with a full warranty, so I consider it the same as an MB option. I think DC's #1 sports car will have to be the 600HP SL they are producing (only in Europe for now I think).

OP
OP
V

viperrwk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercedes-AMG is a subsidiary of DC - http://www.mercedes-benz.com/amg/e/profil/index.htm.

They've always likened PVO to AMG (in all the literature/posts I've read) and that's the model going forward. The whole platform team concept that was pioneered by Viper is dead in the Chrysler division. Viper is just another car that PVO is responsible for (Neon SRT-4, Ram SRT-10, Magnum SRT-8, etc). A very *important* car of course, but not the only one.

viperrwk

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My prediction...PVO will announce a coupe version in 05 as an 06 model. It will be similar, but not exactly like the comp coupe. They will integrate some new technology to produce better handling, more hp and torque along with the new body. They will make the coupe exclusively for a year and a half. Then reintroduce the convertable with many of the coupe's improvements.
Deja Vu!

Then the discussions will once again be predictions on color!
Oh yeah... it will still be ahead of other cars and remain the King of the Hill. :usa:

Dixter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I for one am waiting for the Coupe to show up here in a couple of years.
If Dodge decides not to bring one out then I guess my car just went up a notch
in collectability as the last and only Viper Coupe made ( all GTS cars )

But I'd rather have a GTS and a SRT Coupe in the same garage before I get too
old. :laugh:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The coupe will be built when the demand for the convertible starts to fade. It's all about marketing guys. The SRT10 is effectively sold out right now till some future date. There is absolutely no business reason to bring the coupe along right now. However, after meeting and chatting briefly with John Fernandez, Herb Helbig and Dr. Wolfgang Bernhard at VOI7, I don't think these guys will take kindly to a competitor such as a Ford GT or Corvette C6 coming along with superior performance. Will a hot competitor drive the production of the coupe? Only if the performance cannot be driven out of the convertible. And only then if it can be sold to DC corporate. These guys gotta make money for DC first. And if you've been reading the financial press, that mission is not yet complete.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper was never a money maker for Dodge. If they are going to base the Viper future on profitability of the Viper line then it is history.

As far as demand for the SRT, I think you are mistaken. I see plenty for sale from dealers. This may be the death of the Viper in my opinion since it isn't genreating the excitement of the first Viper (which is why they ended up making it, pur marketing). In fact, my bet is that you will see a MB as the marquee performance car in 3 to 5 years and the Viper will be a memory.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all that DC S/C experience, wouldn't it make sense to launch an SRT coupe with a blower a few days after the C6 vette and Ford GT make thier debuts??
That's the German side of DC that has the supercharger experience. I'm not so sure that they'd have them help develop an SC for the Viper. It's not what the Viper concept was meant to have. I wouldn't mind seeing it on another car alongside the Viper, but not on the brute-force Viper.

I dont think DC works that way with the AMG's, isnt AMG just another high end tunner who takes built cars and modifies them to their own specs? DC does not build fast family cars AMG does, which means the Viper is still their #1 sports car.
AMG used to be a privatly owned business modifing Merc-Benzs for those who ordered them. Very similar to Dinan. Then M-B bought AMG and made them in-house; like BMW M, PVO, or SVT.

The Viper is not considered in the same league as a vette, except in the eyes of some Vette owners. As the GT will not be considered in the same league as Vipers. Vipers kinda have their own little nitch in the market, exotics at 1/2 the price of any other comperably looking or performing car. The GT is going to the the exact same thing but at almost double the price, but have the performance of an S7.
You see so clearly, why can'teveryone else like magazines and the Vette forums see it this way. Those fools don't even wonder why or acknowledge that the Viper GTS-R/T had all these restrictions and C5Rs were allowed huge over-sized engines to make them close in a race.

It will be to Dodge's benefit to manufacture the coupe version of the SRT. Not as profit as the Viper isn't a money-maker, as stated before. But to get the media attention to Dodge, and buyers of all the other Dodge products. Buyers see a great product under a manufacturer, they want something from the best. Not to mention all the current Viper owner yelling for a coupe (more yell for a coupe than yellow paint on the SRT). They will keep Viper owners in the Viper family. Not eveyone's a convertible kind of person. Some need the coupe, they'll build it.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More of us yelling for a coupe than A YELLOW SRT? No way! I think that deserves a thread of it's own. Red alert, shields up, flame suit on.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be advised that ALL cars need to make money for DC or they don't get approved - Viper included and HAS been profitable for a period of time. Even though it is a "flagship" vehicle, none of the other platforms will cough up money for it's design or support it and Marketing can't pin any actual "halo effect" dollars on it so won't support it's build either. I remember seeing this statement (about all cars needing to have a profitable business case) in an article in Automotive News as quoted from Dr. Wolfgang Barnhard, I think.

vipah

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is the case then don't look for DC to step things up a notch to stay in front of the Corvette of Ford GT. If they do, expect to pay a lot more for the car.

That is why I think the MB becomes the flagship.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang