Noise isolated to the RR suspension (see video), can Eiback spring make this noise?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was able to identify the noise I was complaining in my other post, it is definitely comes from the rear right suspension. However, i cannot make sense what exactly is making this noise. From the video in the link below you can see and hear the kind of noise what I think is Eibach spring makes when I load it with the car jack and than suddenly unload it.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nnlbE3ekwM[/media]

Can Eibach spring makes this noise out of blue? I mean I put those springs about a year ago and the noise didn't start until about a month ago. If not the spring, what else can make this noise?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Re: Noise isolated to the RR suspension (see video), can Eiback spring make this nois

try putting some wd-40 near the bushings where the bolt goes through the fork and lower arm to see if that is where the noise is coming from. Let it soak in a bit too.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Noise isolated to the RR suspension (see video), can Eiback spring make this nois

I would suggest you take ab's suggestion one step further and lube all of the suspension bushings on the RR side . If the WD-40 works, then get an oil can and squirt some normal motor oil in those bushings for longer lasting relief.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would suggest you take ab's suggestion one step further and lube all of the suspension bushings on the RR side . If the WD-40 works, then get an oil can and squirt some normal motor oil in those bushings for longer lasting relief.

That it the thing, I oiled the heck out of the whole suspension. I spraid silicon grease on rubber parts, waited for about 10 min and than sprayed WD40 on everything, including spring itself :rolleyes:. It was still making noises after 3 hours of soaking in :dunno:.
I really don't know what to think of it.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No more takers? Help me out guys, I am really stumbled with this dam noise.

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

It's alot of work, but have you tried swapping the rear shocks for side to side to see if the noise follows the shock?

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would buy an automotive stethoscope to figure out exactly what is causing the noise. Pretty much looks like a doctors stethoscope but has a long probe on the "listening" side.

My guess is the shock.

Good luck,

George

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would buy an automotive stethoscope to figure out exactly what is causing the noise. Pretty much looks like a doctors stethoscope but has a long probe on the "listening" side.

My guess is the shock.

Good luck,

George

Hm, never heard of the automotive stethoscope. I will check with local car parts store to see if they have it in stock.

Last edited:

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like a shock issue to me. My 2007 Jeep SRT8 which had a bad shock from the factory made that exact same sound ovr speed bump. If you are going to go to all the trouble of moving shocks around, just buy some new shocks. The PITA time far outweighs the shock cost.

There is your excuse for the Motons you always wanted.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds like a shock issue to me. My 2007 Jeep SRT8 which had a bad shock from the factory made that exact same sound ovr speed bump. If you are going to go to all the trouble of moving shocks around, just buy some new shocks. The PITA time far outweighs the shock cost.

There is your excuse for the Motons you always wanted.

Why would shock go bad with only 12K on the car? Is this normal?

Is Gen4 shocks same as Gen3? I found few Gen4 shocks for sale on ebay.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The noise at the end when you release the pressure in the jack is definitely the spring. Is it seated right in the top and bottom perches? Is it square?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I suspect the spring also.. Coil springs by design are really long torsion bars wound in a coil. As a coil spring compresses, the wire coil winds up and the length of the wire coil changes length. The creaking could be at the base of the spring seat or under the top abutment / cap seat. In other words, the ends of the spring rotate relative to one another when compressed, and there's slippage on the faces it contacts on other either end.

Try oiling the spring contact under the top cap, the top of the shock (if the top cap is rotating and creaking) and on the base where the spring sits on the fork.

Also take a look if the top of the coil is digging into the top cap preventing this slip, maybe on the bottom too?

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you guys, I kind of thought along the same lines, just can't comprehend why out of blue spring or shock would go bad.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shocks can fail internally, they take quite a bit of abuse especially with higher spring rates in performance cars unlike normal passenger cars. Just in case, not likely but you never know.. did you try pumping the upper and lower ball joints with grease?

Good luck...
Mike

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Shocks can be funny. I understand the thought, why would a shock go bad so prematurely right? On my 07' STRT8 Jeep with 500 miles, it had a small leak and all the nitrogen seeped out. The newer shocks are not like the shocks of old where the car had to bounce like a Slinky down the road before you knew it as bad. These new shocks are higher pressures and they just wear out and sometmes do not seat right with the shock inner bushings.

Anyway, that would be my guess here.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Quick question guys, does the Gen4 shocks fit on Gen3? Is Gen4 shocks/springs absolutely the same as Gen3? If not are they in any way better?

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gen 4 springs are little stiffer to better utilize the PS2's. Other than that no difference, and they will bolt right up.

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gen 4 springs are little stiffer to better utilize the PS2's. Other than that no difference, and they will bolt right up.
Springs little stiffer, what about shocks are they the same as Gen3 or little stiffer too?

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For what it's worth.. I talked to our damper / shock experts at work today, they suspect that the damper may have failed. It could be the piston or the sleeve problem, the piston may be cocked preventing causing smooth travel in both directions. It's happened before.

Did you try oiling the bottom and top of the springs seats and cap to rule out if the springs are causing the noise?

Regards,
Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For what it's worth.. I talked to our damper / shock experts at work today, they suspect that the damper may have failed. It could be the piston or the sleeve problem, the piston may be cocked preventing causing smooth travel in both directions. It's happened before.

Did you try oiling the bottom and top of the springs seats and cap to rule out if the springs are causing the noise?

I WD40ed the heck out of the whole suspension, so I am sure both ends of the spring got lots of WD40 on it.

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There's some good suggestions from the other members, such as using a stethoscope, check the ball joints also. If it's a damper, I typically try to support the VCA club and members (hint), especially if it was made by our damper / shock division, could be.... since there were non-adjustable / non-rebuildable ones manufactured for Gen3 back then.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 2009's front drivers shock started leaking like a nervous puppy at about 1800 mile :(

I've been waiting for the weather to get a bit better to take it in for warranty. Apparently leaky shocks are pretty common, although for a car with this type of performance potential I don't think it's acceptable.

Good luck with your findings.

George

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Nasty noise.

My Motons don't make that kind of noise - good time to upgrade ..... or just try another used OE shock.

I think it's the springs but it could be the shock as mentioned above.

Good luck,

Dan

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sounds for sure like the shock. I had cars in the past do the same thing time for an upgrade.