noisy brakes

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my brakes really squeel when I apply them. I had them checked and they all look good. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions to quiet it down. Thanks

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
my brakes really squeel when I apply them. I had them checked and they all look good. Does anyone else have this problem or have any suggestions to quiet it down. Thanks

Completely normal. My '01 did this for the longest time when I got it and still does it from time to time. Another quark of viper ownership. :)

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they work great, then that's the problem. Pads that have a lot of bite are noisy. :2tu:
Quiet, dustless pads don't stop worth a crap. :crazy2:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are they OEM? Aftermarket? Did they always squeak ?

I can't say if the following will work for your situation; but, it is free and fun to do. Read this article.
http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the owners manual it even mentions that they will squeal....they are metallic brake pads and are fairly noisy when cold. I upgraded to Ceramic pads, which has two advantages....no noise and little brake dust.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Just making sure i am normal. Spoeaking for the car of course. It just kind of embarrasing when you pull in somewhere. I took the muffler off and seemed to help a little.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The bedding of the brakes is very interesting. I will surely give that a try.,

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It just kind of embarrasing when you pull in somewhere..

Depends on who's there when you pull in. Anybody who's been around road race cars will consider the squeal a badge of honor. Old ladies do tend to think you're rude and your car is broken..... ;-)

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on who's there when you pull in. Anybody who's been around road race cars will consider the squeal a badge of honor.

True....many high end sports cars have squealy brakes....the only problem is that most people in the street will think you are neglecting your Viper and aren't bothering to change the brake pads since it sounds like the wear indicator squeal.

I think just for the benefit of getting rid of the crazy brake dust it should be considered getting something other than metallic pads.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Completely normal. My '01 did this for the longest time when I got it and still does it from time to time. Another quark of viper ownership. :)

Not normal IMO.
I have run two of the common aftermarket street pads for vipers (Hawk HPS, and EBC Red) and neither of them sequel or make any noise.
I do properly bed-in my new pads to the rotors though, and drive aggressively enough to maintain the transfer layer.
Also, I go to meets with several vipers and don't remember hearing any squeakiness.

If they work great, then that's the problem. Pads that have a lot of bite are noisy. :2tu:

Not exactly....
- The diff between track & street pads is mostly about the heat range. I can outbrake your track pads with my EBC reds on a cold day.
- One reason why pads can squeel in general is due to the lack of a transfer layer on the rotor. If your interested, Read more on that here:
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-s...y-definitions-and-procedures/brake-pad-bed-in
- Street pads can also loose there transfer layer from alot of light braking, but it is more common when running track pads on the street because the pad never gets up to the adherent temp of the pad and the abrasive trait of the pad wears the transfer layer off of the rotor.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not normal IMO.
I have run two of the common aftermarket street pads for vipers (Hawk HPS, and EBC Red) and neither of them sequel or make any noise.
I do properly bed-in my new pads to the rotors though, and drive aggressively enough to maintain the transfer layer.
Also, I go to meets with several vipers and don't remember hearing any squeakiness.

I think the old EBC red pad I put on my 2000 was the worst pad ever, threw them out the next day after really bad braking distances. Put on Brakeman 3 pads and they work great especially at the race track. Bedding in correctly is important.

chambers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have found that some Wheel cleaners will make your brakes squeal. That happen to me. When i stop using the Wheel cleaner my brakes stop squealing.

OP
OP
D

dru282

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not use wheel cleaner. I do however get alot of dust. The brakes were on the car when I got it two months ago. Checked out good. Stops good also. But I have nothing to compare to. Dom don't know if you will be at the car corral on Sunday in Owings Mills but you can hear it there.

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For comparison,..............I swap pads on my C6 for track days.
Hawk HPS for the street. Hawk HT-10 for the track.
No squeal with the HPS, It sounds like the car is gonna fall apart with the HT-10's.
Same rotors, just quick pad swap in the paddock, then go.

On the Viper, I don't bother with swapping pads. Mintex front/Brakeman #3 rear. -all the time. .....My exhaust is crazy loud, so it's not that noticable.

ksgts

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Your not joking! went to quiet pads and the car will hardly stop!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your not joking! went to quiet pads and the car will hardly stop!
I have tried many different brands/grade of pads, and that has been my conclusion.
The worst experience was, I found some 'lower cost pads' at the bozo parts store in town. This was when I first started tracking the car and didn't have a clue. After installing the cheap 'quiet' pads, I ended up in the dirt because the car didn't slow down like it did with the stock pads that were on before. Luckily this was a turn with a smooth run-off for this excursion.
Unfortunatly for me, I have learned a lot of stuff the hard way. -through stupid mistakes and bad experiences as a result.
Using this forum has helped me to stop doing that.
I just wish I would have started using it sooner. ....that's why I always say, -don't ask how I know.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using this forum has helped me to stop doing that.
I just wish I would have started using it sooner. ....that's why I always say, -don't ask how I know.

LOL that's why I joined in 1999, I know it says 2000 but that was just the year they changed the forum format. I was the 134th member to join and there is a wealth of info. Brakes are probably the most important part of our Vipers, you get up to speed so fast you need to slow down just as fast. If you start tracking your car ask lots of questions here, with feedback from this forum I went to a Stoptech 4 wheel Big Brake kit, Castrol SRF brake fluid and Brakeman 3 pads and believe me when you're on the Roval at California Speedway and you come off the speedway at 160 mph to a 90 degree left onto the infield you need the best braking possible.

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL that's why I joined in 1999, I know it says 2000 but that was just the year they changed the forum format. I was the 134th member to join and there is a wealth of info. Brakes are probably the most important part of our Vipers, you get up to speed so fast you need to slow down just as fast. If you start tracking your car ask lots of questions here, with feedback from this forum I went to a Stoptech 4 wheel Big Brake kit, Castrol SRF brake fluid and Brakeman 3 pads and believe me when you're on the Roval at California Speedway and you come off the speedway at 160 mph to a 90 degree left onto the infield you need the best braking possible.

SoCal, just an FYI, archives going back to '97 can be found here: http://www.viperclub.org/articles/forum-archives/ in case you're feeling nostalgic. :)

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put on new calipers, rotors and pads and my rear brakes squeal like crazy. I'm using Hawk pads with Baer rotors. I was told I can use a little bottle of BG stop squeal on the pads and "bake" them on a small oven burner to heat up the pads to get them to stop squealing. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know if it works or not, but I've been told it will do the trick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang