NOS Purge Solenoid Question

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the NOS brand purge solenoids. they have a filter in them. im assuming this filter somewhat restricts the flow (in addition to their main purpose)which thereby reduces attainable HP. I removed my purge solenoid altogether today (since the cheap shiit broke in Topeka) and hooked the feed line up directly to the nitrous solenoid itself.

My question; anyone know or have an idea how much of a potential increase to now expect in the flow/HP? i need to know so as to concomitantly increase fuel feed via larger jet size.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you talking about the blue an fitting with a screen inside ? You said you removed the purge solinoid.....a purge solinoid should be off the main line via a tee fitting. Maybe you could tell me a little more.

Ted B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The area of the screen is much larger than the cross-section of line itself. Unless the screen was very dense it probably wasn't restricting flow in the first place (unless it had some built up crap on it). Your jets will restrict flow to a certain point. Unless the screen was more restrictive than the jets, there wouldn't have been a net effect.

It's similar to a chain being the weakest link. The smallest point in a line will usually be it's ONLY bottleneck. And that would be at the jets.

If you think there is an increase (or just for a good measure of tuning), you should put in bigger fuel jets and check the air fuel ratio. Then work your way down with smaller jets until you get good (safe) A/F across the spray RPM range.

There's no simple math formula to get jet sizes (or horsepower). The ones that are quoted by manufacturers or tuners are gotten by testing on certain engine configurations. Although they provide a good baseline, your engine is probably not EXACTLY like the ones they used to get the jet sizes. Your results will be different and you should tune for your engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave