not once... but twice... turned down by a stealership for a VIper alignment...

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called -Davis Moore-...."sorry.. our Viper tech doesn't feel like tackleing that right now... gonna pass on this one... sorry"

Called -Parks Motors-...... (told them about the first stealership) "Sure!!... -Davis Moore- is known for that... Hold on... oh... ummm.. our tech did not go to the Viper school and he says there are all kinds of crazy tools that we dont have to do that.. so we are going to pass as well.."

What the heck!!!!

friend of mine is the service manager at a Carmax and he is checking to see if they have the specifications on file.. no other dodge stealerships nearby...

anyone else use a on-stealership to do a 4 wheel alignment???

thanks!!:usa:

Matt

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Called -Davis Moore-...."sorry.. our Viper tech doesn't feel like tackleing that right now... gonna pass on this one... sorry""

I bet if you called and talked to the GM or owner, they could convince their Viper tech to get in the mood to do the alignment! It costs a lot of money to go to Viper tech school. I bet they'd love to know that their Viper tech is turning down work because he 'doesn't feel like it'

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look.Tell us where you are and maybe we can help you out.There is probably someone that knows what their doing within a days drive.Its a complicated procedure.No one will do it for $99 if they have any clue.If they know what they're doing it will probably take 3-4 hours.Well worth it!.However consider going to lowered springs,having the shocks adjusted and a more agressive street alignment done at the same time. GTS Bruce

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding, special tools, 3 to 4 hours? The author of the latest couple mopar books: "Chrysler Performance upgrades" and "Chrysler Engines" has aligned my car a couple times since I've owned it. I watched, and it didn't take but a little while. He is not a Viper tech and his books do not include Vipers, but he is a qualified mechanic and the suspension on these vehicles is not anything "exotic". He did it both times at the local NTB. He teaches school (auto classes) at the local technical school and they let him work there part time. From what I understand it is important to have the alignment done at a shop that has their equipment serviced and adjusted to specs regularly. Find a local shop that specializes in alignments. Good luck.

Tom Sessions

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car has never been wrecked the alignment is not that hard to do.Where the problem comes in is if the frame has been bent and changed the ride hight or bump steer.Than that is where all the special tools come in.Any good front end tech can do this.Is not rocket science.help is only a click away

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You've got to be kidding, special tools, 3 to 4 hours? The author of the latest couple mopar books: "Chrysler Performance upgrades" and "Chrysler Engines" has aligned my car a couple times since I've owned it. I watched, and it didn't take but a little while. He is not a Viper tech and his books do not include Vipers, but he is a qualified mechanic and the suspension on these vehicles is not anything "exotic". He did it both times at the local NTB. He teaches school (auto classes) at the local technical school and they let him work there part time. From what I understand it is important to have the alignment done at a shop that has their equipment serviced and adjusted to specs regularly. Find a local shop that specializes in alignments. Good luck.

I agree totally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
1 hour is possible if its not screwed up.My car is lowered and a dodge dealer and viper tech realy screwed it up.Chuck Tator and his trusty sidekick first returned it to stock specs as a starting point and then adjusted to my specs.The car was bounced around,rolled in and out of the garage multiple times,rechecked,readjusted then finaly test driven.Yep it took over 3 hours but mine was probably worse case scenario due to a local dealer screwing it up big time. My car from the first "alignment" was almost undrivable and then they threw up their hands and said we give up its the best we can do.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the factory service manual? Yes it is a big job to do it right, per the factory requirements, that includes sand bagging the car down and using the DRB tool. Be happy some hack didn't say they would do it. At least they were honest.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would appreciate the honesty of the dealership. Look around for some performance shops if you don't feel like going to one of those $30 alignment shops.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone looked at the factory service manual? Yes it is a big job to do it right, per the factory requirements, that includes sand bagging the car down and using the DRB tool. Be happy some hack didn't say they would do it. At least they were honest.
overkill and not necessary. Take it to a reputable shop (not your local Midas) there is nothing special about the viper suspension.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to get mine done here in SoCal , special tool needed as is an appointment. Track alignment with cameras and me in the car is 20 minutes and $140, period.

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If done correctly, it takes more than an hour and does require a special tool.

A lot of the complaints about Viper handling (bump steer, etc.) are due to poor alignment. If you take the time to get the car aligned correctly by a shop that really knows what they are doing, it makes a big difference.

Zan186

Viper Owner
Reaction score
1 hour is possible if its not screwed up.My car is lowered and a dodge dealer and viper tech realy screwed it up.Chuck Tator and his trusty sidekick first returned it to stock specs as a starting point and then adjusted to my specs.The car was bounced around,rolled in and out of the garage multiple times,rechecked,readjusted then finaly test driven.Yep it took over 3 hours but mine was probably worse case scenario due to a local dealer screwing it up big time. My car from the first "alignment" was almost undrivable and then they threw up their hands and said we give up its the best we can do.

Did you drive your viper across the state or did you trailer it?

Too bad we can't get Tator to move to this side of NY. All I have to say is Tator is extremely helpful as he pointed me in the right direction on buying my Viper.

OP
OP
C

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bill and Mark at Woodhouse came through!!

Thanks for all the helpful info and the specs!!

Good friend of mine at Carmax and I are tackleing this first thing in the morning!!!

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A lot of the complaints about Viper handling (bump steer, etc.) are due to poor alignment. If you take the time to get the car aligned correctly by a shop that really knows what they are doing, it makes a big difference.

I know the proceedure and "special tool" and would be willing to dispute your claim. I agree it takes a couple hrs to do it correctly. But I can be done with std alignment tools.

Reaction score
Hope all goes well and on the note about the special tools, yes you could do an alignment without them but when you lower the Viper you really need to check the bump steer pattern and correct if needed, these tools help you with this accuracy. Would you want to have K-Mart do a "normal" alignment on your 190+ MPH supercar? I think not unless it is a garage queen that is :drive: :bonker:

OP
OP
C

Compensating

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope all goes well and on the note about the special tools, yes you could do an alignment without them but when you lower the Viper you really need to check the bump steer pattern and correct if needed, these tools help you with this accuracy. Would you want to have K-Mart do a "normal" alignment on your 190+ MPH supercar? I think not unless it is a garage queen that is :drive: :bonker:
thanks again mark...

yep... they can check the bump steer..

you guys rock!!:usa:

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is that using cameras or a string??? I'd get regular alignments because I road raced the car so much, once up on the lift +6 caster, neutral-1/8th toe, -1.9 front camber & -1.3 rear camber, 20-30 minutes. It ran great on the track, the tires wore well, just a little "darty" on the street.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove it of course!Send wife to mall in Danbury and you hang out at Tators.Drive to Danbury and I think the Danbury Hilton,You go out to dinner with wife or sig other.rent car.Wife goes to mall after dropping you off at tators.When he's done you drive back homeWe must meet up.Local group cruises together.All VCA Ontario members.Cruise here(US)and there(Ca).Hamburg Dodge has a GREAT tech.Their old alignment machine will not work because it needs to shoot beams under the car and the car is too low.North Town were the screw ups.The guy at tators used to OWN an alignment shop.Alignment done with levels,strings,protractors etc.No Computer.Aligned like a race car would be done at a track.Damn do they know their shixt.MY advice is if your car is gen 1-2 get the eibach springs to put in,have shocks adjusted,alignment done more agressive than street.Mine seems perfect after running at the cayuga ontario exotic car days road course.Feel free to call me. 662-0464 [email protected]

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh.Sorry.The local independent viper shop is Dan,technical consultant for VCA Ontario.He can do just about anything including blowers etc.Does not get into alignments as far as I know.(finalgts@aol,com) GTS BRuce

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that using cameras or a string??? I'd get regular alignments because I road raced the car so much, once up on the lift +6 caster, neutral-1/8th toe, -1.9 front camber & -1.3 rear camber, 20-30 minutes. It ran great on the track, the tires wore well, just a little "darty" on the street.

The "special tool" I'm referring to is the inclinometer and the adapters that attach it to the knuckles.

As for anyone who claims to have received a full-on alignment in less than an hour, check the paperwork you received. I'd be very surprised if you have a dynamic toe pattern plot as part of that paperwork.

Mine was way out of spec from the factory. (And if you've lowered your car, yours is also almost certainly not where it should be.)

The problem is that there are not very many people who know how to work on Viper suspensions, and those that do are expensive because they don't do it in less than an hour.

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The biggest challenge to aligning a Viper is verifying the rear caster angle - and this has a MAJOR effect on power-down handling. I guess it is possible to measure this angle with a Hunter 4-wheel sonic/infrared system, but I don't know if the software does the calculation. You do NOT get a rear caster angle report. The only dead-solid reliable way to measure a Viper's rear caster is with the factory inclinometers included in the Viper Service Tools/DRB setup.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "special tool" I'm referring to is the inclinometer and the adapters that attach it to the knuckles.

As for anyone who claims to have received a full-on alignment in less than an hour, check the paperwork you received. I'd be very surprised if you have a dynamic toe pattern plot as part of that paperwork.

Mine was way out of spec from the factory. (And if you've lowered your car, yours is also almost certainly not where it should be.)

The problem is that there are not very many people who know how to work on Viper suspensions, and those that do are expensive because they don't do it in less than an hour.
lowering the car is not going to change the rear caster, just the camber and maybe the toe

v10kingsnake

Viper Owner
Reaction score
"Called -Davis Moore-...."sorry.. our Viper tech doesn't feel like tackleing that right now... gonna pass on this one... sorry""

I bet if you called and talked to the GM or owner, they could convince their Viper tech to get in the mood to do the alignment! It costs a lot of money to go to Viper tech school. I bet they'd love to know that their Viper tech is turning down work because he 'doesn't feel like it'
Good advice, after he gets the third degree from his Bossman and forced into doing the work, I know I would free real confident having the guy I just ratted out turning wrenches on all four courners. :nono: