Now MY car won't start: help wanted...

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually at the battery site behind the wheel, or under the hood? Can it be done at either location? I've already got the wheel back down.. :(

BE VERY CAREFUL !!!!! :omg:

You really want to do this at the battery location so that you know that the positive terminal is NOT connected to anything when you touch the cable to ground. You don't want to get yourself in the situation of touching an energized +12V line to ground; which could easily be the mistake if trying to do this in the engine compartment.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alright. Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I have a project to do today when I get home from work!

Thanks again!

steve911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get rid of the aftermarket alarm right away before you do anything else. After that check your plugs to see if they are gas soaked from all of the cranking. If they are clean em.

Disconnect a plug wire and if you have a spark plug from any thing any thing laying around, plug into the wire you disconnected, and ground it to a bare metal part of the engine and see if there is spark while the engine is cranking. My guess is not due to the after market alarm. If after you remove it, check again to see if there is spark. Report back.

Last edited:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are the chances that the PCM is fried? How do I go about testing/replacing that?

Slim. Then again if the aftermarket alarm is killing batteries that quick who knows what another side-effect could be...

Disconnect the Positive cable attached to the battery and Ground it by holding to the frame or scratching some rust off the battery tray and holding to that.

NOT the jumper post under the hood:nono:

goodluck and keep us updated.

OP
OP
L

Limit

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Slim. Then again if the aftermarket alarm is killing batteries that quick who knows what another side-effect could be...

NOT the jumper post under the hood:nono:

goodluck and keep us updated.

I'm wondering if the PCM would be fried because I had to jump a few times because of the battery being burnt out. I wasn't aware it was such a bad thing on this car. I'll report back today or tomorrow.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Whether you toasted your PCM depends on the way your jumpstarted it. If you used a charger with "start" circuit and a dead battery in the car there is a good chance that FRIED your ECM. Sean Roe was telling me that he's been seeing a lot of ECUs fried this way this year. I'm thinking that new Chinese technology is the reason.

It is easy enough to check your ECU. My 2001 GTS has a 1996 ECU installed because the Roe supercharger sets msifire codes on the newer Gen 2 ECUs. Just disconnect battery and switch ECUs with another Viper.

Ted

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have a check engine light when key is on? do you have a asd relay?check it- if you have a ses light key on engine off,its probably not the ecm=====check for fuel pressure? check for spark?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960