Objects in Mirror

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The wording objects in mirror are closer than they appear (only on passenger side) does anybody know if there's anyway to get it off. I know its probably etched into the mirror but I would think there's someway to get it off. I tried goof off & used a razor to try & scrape it off but each to no avail. Does anybody know of anything that will. Thanks!

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're as picky as I am! LOL

I hate that crap too, but I don't think you can get it off no matter what you do. I'm pretty sure it is etched into the glass.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're as picky as I am! LOL

I hate that crap too, but I don't think you can get it off no matter what you do. I'm pretty sure it is etched into the glass.
Thanks Jance, not really what I wanted to hear but that's what I was afraid off. I've got a friend that owns a glass company next door to me I guess I could ask him, he might know if there's Anything I can do, if so I'll let you know!

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if I could get that off, there is a decal available that reads -"objects in mirror are losing". I would really like to have that on the mirror instead of that other crap.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, if I could get that off, there is a decal available that reads -"objects in mirror are losing". I would really like to have that on the mirror instead of that other crap.
Allan, that is EXACTLY the one I put on my drivers side! I'll take a pic of it & put it up. I've got one more that I was wanting to put on the passenger side! Lol!

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got it on my drivers side mirror, but couldn't find any way to get the original print off the passenger side.

SNKEBIT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does not come off. put the decal over the wording, depending on color of decal, you don't notice the original wording anyway......

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried removing it/fading it out on junk mirrors before with no luck. Surely there is something that would at least remove the color so that it makes it less of an eye sore, but it could be colored in from the inside of the mirror?

I've got some chemical paint remover I will try on a junk mirror and get back to you.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've tried removing it/fading it out on junk mirrors before with no luck. Surely there is something that would at least remove the color so that it makes it less of an eye sore, but it could be colored in from the inside of the mirror?

I've got some chemical paint remover I will try on a junk mirror and get back to you.
Jance, I'll be waiting! SNKEBIT, I also thought just doing what you said but I only had one left & after you put it on you can't take it back off (I'll see what Jance comes up with & if nothing else I'll probably just put it over the top of the other & see how it looks).

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I could not find the mirror I was going to practice on. I did a google search and found several forum topics just like this one. They all said the same thing, that it's etched behind the glass. So removing it from this side most likely won't happen.

The mirror that I was going to used was actually raised up on this side. I was hoping to at least remove some of the color. I'll let you know if I come across it and try it out. Sorry I wasn't any help!

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I talked with my neighbor that owns the auto glass co. & he showed me one of the passenger mirrors with the (objects in mirror wording) & it goes all the way thru the mirror, so you can't get it out (he said that its the law, it HAS to be on the passenger side mirror) I'm suppose to take my car by there (at his shop) & he thinks we may be able to buy another driver side mirror & just reverse it & it might fit! that or you'd have to just put another lil' (about a 1x4 mirror) on top of the orginal & put the logo on it (I think that would look like crap). If I can't reverse the driver side guess I'll just leave it alone, I'll let ya'll know if they're interchangeable!

Slithr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I talked with my neighbor that owns the auto glass co. & he showed me one of the passenger mirrors with the (objects in mirror wording) & it goes all the way thru the mirror, so you can't get it out (he said that its the law, it HAS to be on the passenger side mirror) I'm suppose to take my car by there (at his shop) & he thinks we may be able to buy another driver side mirror & just reverse it & it might fit! that or you'd have to just put another lil' (about a 1x4 mirror) on top of the orginal & put the logo on it (I think that would look like crap). If I can't reverse the driver side guess I'll just leave it alone, I'll let ya'll know if they're interchangeable!

If they're not interchangable, can your neighbor just cut you a new passenger side mirror from some base mirror stock, using your mirror as a template .... or is it illegal for him to install it without the 'words of caution'?

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If they're not interchangable, can your neighbor just cut you a new passenger side mirror from some base mirror stock, using your mirror as a template .... or is it illegal for him to install it without the 'words of caution'?
We actually looked at doing something like that but the glass is beveled & has a lil' arc in it. You could cut a flat piece of glass but it would look like crap. I'm almost 99% sure we can just buy the driver side mirror & just turn it around. If you get a chance go out to your car & look at both of them & you'll see what I mean (by thinking it'll work, just reversing them).

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
By doing the driver side mirror on the passenger side thing you might make your mirror pratically useless. The reason for the warning is because the mirror is slightly concave so that you can see more in the mirror then you would on a flat mirror. The driver side mirror doesn't have the warning because it's a flat mirror. Depending on how much you actually use your mirrors it's probably not an issue, will be interested to hear how it works out for you.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We actually looked at doing something like that but the glass is beveled & has a lil' arc in it. You could cut a flat piece of glass but it would look like crap. I'm almost 99% sure we can just buy the driver side mirror & just turn it around. If you get a chance go out to your car & look at both of them & you'll see what I mean (by thinking it'll work, just reversing them).

Make a paper template of the drivers side and flip it to see if it is the same shape.

OP
OP
M

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Make a paper template of the drivers side and flip it to see if it is the same shape.
You can do this, but just like DarcShadow said if it doesn't have the exact spot where its beveled (concave) to it, it will be useless. Everything we looked at or tried is EXACTLY like Shadow says above (you'd think he was in the glass business at one time or another, Lol). I'm out of town right now but I'll follow up on it when I get back Monday.

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going back to an old thread...

I talked to my painter the other day and I asked him how hard it would be to paint inside the mirror housing for a better finish. In about 15 seconds he moved the mirror glass around and pulled it off without breaking it! So if there is a way to make a new passenger side mirror you could easily swap them out.

It's pretty cool how they actually remove. If you pull the bottom corner of the mirror it will unsnap the bottom and leave the top portion "hinged" and the mirror will be swinging, then just raise up and the mirror glass can be removed, just reverse the steps to reinstall.

I hope that made sense?

Sybil TF

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would like to replace these flat looking mirrors with some later model ones like the new gen5 has!!! Maybe gen 3s or 4's will work?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's mine, and apparently I appear to be losing (i.e. losing $200 in IL, on way to VOI, SLC)

You must be registered for see images attach