Odd Exhaust Manifold Gaskets

RobHook

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ordered a set of exhaust manifold gaskets from JonB for my early '94. I removed the manifold over the weekend and it appears that the gasket is the wrong one. Jon seems a little stumped at this point so I thought I'd see what the board thinks.

The gasket I removed from the car has round openings for the exhaust to flow through and is made of a textured aluminum-like material. The ones I received from Jon are very thin shiny steel with flat-bottomed ports for the exhaust. The bolt holes line up ok but the new gasket would never seal properly.

I notice that there was a switchover from a two-piece to one piece manifold at serial #104 in the 1993 model year. My car has the later one-piece manifold and is a '94. Does anyone know at what point the shape of the ports changed to a flat-bottomed design? Is it possible I have a one-piece manifold but with an older port shape? Does Chrysler often forget to document production changes on Vipers?

--Rob

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JonB was indeed confused, and now have them differentiated.
Dodge does a mediocre job of differentiating.

I have 2 Belanger Exh Manifold G-1 gaskets out to you today, UPS 3-day.

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Gen 1 engine (1992 to 1996 RT/10)exhaust ports are round, Gen 2 (1996 to 2002 GTS and 1997 to 2002 RT/10) are D shaped.

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Sean Roe on 05-29-2002 at 06:38 AM</font>

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robert1994:
Well, I guess that explains most everything. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I disagree.

All Viper heads, Gen 1 and Gen 2, have D-shaped exhaust ports.
Only G-2 gaskets are D-shaped however! Go figure. Another case of square-peg--round hole expediency.

The OE headers themselves are also round, but mate to a D-shaped hole, via a round (G-1) or D-shaped (G2) gasket. Even MORE Square-peg expediency.

Common sense would suggest that a D-port gasket is a better choice, since Dodge changed to them in G-2.

This is a primary reason that Belanger D-port headers mate so well and flow so well...they match the exhaust ports exactly, whereas most other headers are round-tubes fitting D-shaped holes.

( Many Ford exh ports are rectangular; GM square. Aftermarket Tube Headers round. Even on Rousch motors! )

But it was still MY oversight to send G-2 gaskets to Rob! He now has 3 sets from which to choose!