oil change miscue ?

okloneranger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg: Am in the process of changing 10 qts. of mobile one. Front of car with 12" blocks under frame, oil drained and plug torqued to 35 ft. lbs. (too much?). Oil filter changed out but :omg: Forgot to at least partially fill new filter with oil before putting on. Stopped here. Questions: Should I pull coil wire(not sure where it is) to turn over engine without starting it in order to "oil up" the internals & fill the filter after adding the mobile one? Is this overkill? If it were you would you chance removing the new filter-adding the oil, then putting on again? Or, Just put in the new oil, and start her up? Thanks for you expertise.:)

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It's not that critical. You're not putting oil into a new or rebuilt block. There's plenty in the passages etc to compensate. Besides, it's only idle and Mobile 1 stays on parts very well. I have a Stealth with 270K miles with no engine issues and I've never filled my oil filter with oil. I just think it's overkill.

P.S. Don't pull the coil wires, you could flood the engine cylinders with unspent fuel.

cayman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ditto. Been changing oil on cars for 30 years. For the most part, I fill the filters before putting them on but there has been several instances in the past where I haven't. On some cars that because of the angle the oil filter sits, even a pint of oil in the filter will run partially out while trying to screw the darn thing in. As was mentioned, there's enough oil in the galleys and passages, it shouldn't be an issue. But for good practice in the future, I would add some to the filter if its not mounted too radically at an angle. On these snakes, the filter isn't mounted very far off of vertical.

It's not that critical. You're not putting oil into a new or rebuilt block. There's plenty in the passages etc to compensate. Besides, it's only idle and Mobile 1 stays on parts very well. I have a Stealth with 270K miles with no engine issues and I've never filled my oil filter with oil. I just think it's overkill.

P.S. Don't pull the coil wires, you could flood the engine cylinders with unspent fuel.

Last edited:

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been in the auto repair business 30 yrs and the ONLY time I worry about the pre-lube and filling the oil filter before start is when we are working on a brand new engine install. Have you ever seen a Fast lube or other shop fill an oil filter during an oil change? I don't think so. There is no damage when the filter fills so fast and almost immediate oil pressure.:2tu:

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nothing new to add to the oil question (same here, fill the oil filter too--not always, just sometimes..wanted to make that clear...there is no need to)...BUT wanted to let you know that we have always loved the Dodge Stealth, and with 270K miles on yours, just goes to show it WAS a quality vehicle!!! Hated that they pulled that one....congrats on the mileage on yours...you are taking very good care of it:2tu: ~~~~juli

Last edited:

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been in the auto repair business 30 yrs and the ONLY time I worry about the pre-lube and filling the oil filter before start is when we are working on a brand new engine install. Have you ever seen a Fast lube or other shop fill an oil filter during an oil change? I don't think so. There is no damage when the filter fills so fast and almost immediate oil pressure.:2tu:
+1 on his views. I've never pre-filled the oil filter either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctrengine