Oil change questions

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, first off I did use the search function and it came up with nothing.

Anyways, I am planing on doing an oil change on my 98, but I have a few questions first.

What weight is used? 15w50?

How much do I need?

And can it only take Mobil 1 or can i use other brands? I have an Amsoil account and I was thinking to use their 15w50 racing oil. or mobil 1 only?

how much does the oil pan bolt be torqued to?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did try the search option and it came back as nothing, but when I look at the related threads under this there are a bunch on oil. go figure

I thought I read somewhere that it took 20w50 or something crazy.

So can i safely use something other than mobil 1. I wanna put amsoil in there, but not if its risky business

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can use the heavier stuff in the summer if you're beating on your car for extended periods of time, but for the street why bother, stay with the 10-30.

Also, the formulation for Mobil 1 (and some other synthetics) has changed in the past 2-3 years....so its not the oil it was when it was spec'd by Dodge for the 98 Viper. I have it on reasonable authority that the zinc levels and other additive levels have been dropped significantly and that although it still meets whatever the SAE spec is for synthetic oil, its not got the protective mojo it once did.

(Enter Tom O&L GotR for validation or refutation of this!)

Allegedly, the Joe Gibbs oil (also available in 5/10-30) has been formulated with these additives and more. It costs your first born, but apparently was one of the big reasons behind Joe Gibbs Racings success a few years back.....their motors just held up better at the end of the races and they won a disproportionate number of events until everyone caught on. Its about twice the price of M1.

aloushi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So that means I can use amsoil without the worry of my car exploding?

Don't think you have to worry about your car exploding, if you're just an average driver like myself any good name brand 100% synthetic 10w30 will be good so amsoil we be good, I've always used M1 and never had an issue but I don't run my cars hard and don't race...

JustinB

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I like Amsoil products as well. I do run M1 in all my daily drivers and have for years with no issues. As others have said with normal driving any good synthetic 10W30 should be good.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, first off I did use the search function and it came up with nothing.

Anyways, I am planing on doing an oil change on my 98, but I have a few questions first.
how much does the oil pan bolt be torqued to?

my '98 manual sez 8.5 qrts w/filter
95 in.lbs. on the oil pan bolts

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would go with the M1 0-40W, even more protection that 10-30W. Don't forget to fill the filter with oil before installing, put some oil on the seal, and make sure the old rubber seal comes off with the old filter. Torque it good and tight but not too tight (about 45# i would guess..without looking at the manual)

Last edited:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I think you're fine with any branded synthetic. I use M1 0-40 on the street and Gibbs XP3 on the track (10-30)

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
sweet, thanks. I hope my changing the oil now (because im replacing the timing cover gasket) doesnt mean I have to change it in the summer when I pull it out of storage

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Some where on here the the oil guy recommended using Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Oil. I can't remember all the reasoning why, I'm sure if you do a search for it you'll find the thread. There are literllay hundreds of oil threads.

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Not to take you out of the lime light, Darth, but I figured I would take this opportunity to get something answered that would seemingly be on topic. I did a head gasket job about 1,000 miles ago. Is it standard to change the oil earlier than normal since I had the heads off and the pistons exposed?

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about 5W-30 Mobil One? Thought I was getting 10W-30 but was running around and grabbed the 5W-30, should I take the 5W-30 back and exchange it for 10W-30? DOH!

I also got the MOPAR Filter. Is that one fine or is the mobile 1 filter better?

scottmarston

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How about 5W-30 Mobil One? Thought I was getting 10W-30 but was running around and grabbed the 5W-30, should I take the 5W-30 back and exchange it for 10W-30? DOH!

I also got the MOPAR Filter. Is that one fine or is the mobile 1 filter better?

How cold does it get there!? I've read that the thicker oils, like the 10W-30, have more anitwear additives. I'd get a second opinion to mine though. I'm going to venture a guess that everybody else on here will tell you to take it back and swap it out. ALTHOUGH, just becuase the book says 10W-30 doesn't mean they accounted for Alaska-esque conditions! Sometimes running thinner oil in an aged motor will "help" you find oil leaks. These leaks will not likely seal up after switching back.

I've heard many of the guys on here talk about using MOPAR oil filters...I use Mobile 1. Everyone seems to be satisfied with the results.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery