Oil Drain Plug w/ Heli-Coil on Gen 2?

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a mostly stock 2000 GTS with very low miles and I have owned the car since it was new. When I took it to the dealer to get an oil change, I mentioned the car had been dripping since the last oil change. When they took out the drain plug, a heli-coil and the plug came out together. Is this a normal configuration for an unmodified factory Gen 2 motor?

Heli-coil and drain plug:
You must be registered for see images attach

The threads in the oil pan look good and the threads on the plug look fine, but the plug obviously does not fit without the heli-coil in place.

Oil Pan:
You must be registered for see images attach

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

BV

Reaction score
All they had was the wrong plug and made due? They are different sizes gen2-3. I would ask the dealers Tech that did the last oil change.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Friend with a Lexus had a similar experience at the the dealership...found a "siliconed" oil drain plug on next trip back...got a new oil pan out of the deal thanks to good record keeping of the scheduled service visits to same place...fairly compelling evidence.

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The viper tech at the second dealership said there was silicone around the drain plug, as well. What is the proper way to fix this problem?

Thanks,

BV

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At this point I would go to the next size larger helicoil, have it installed right, and live with a non-standard size drain plug. Hey, it'll be larger than normal so the oil will drain faster! Otherwise your choices seem overkill - weld in a new **** or replace the pan.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you would like you could install a Time-sert into the existing hole.

Just pm me the plug size and i will tell you what kit you need. I think its a 1/2-20 but not positive.

All you have to do is use the counterbore in the kit and run the tap back in the hole just in case it has any burr from the counterbore.
Then use the driver tool and install the insert...you can use locktite if you wish, not necessary.
When the Time-sert is installed it will be below the surface so the washer will contact the aluminum not the insert.

This is if the threads are still in good shape.

P.S i would never recommend using and over sized insert in any drain plug application because you will be locking and
releasing off the insert and it could back out.

You could also just drill and tap to the next plug size and run a bigger plug as mentioned.

Last edited:

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Gen-2 pans often have heli-coils right from the factory. Just put in a new helicoil and plug- a burr on the plug threads likely pulled the coil out.

OP
OP
B

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Gen-2 pans often have heli-coils right from the factory.

OK, that is good to know. Is there any way to tell if this one was from the factory or installed after the fact?

The threads in the oil pan look perfect and the threads on the original plug look fine, so I wonder why it was leaking from the plug? If the previous Viper Tech had to put silicone on the plug, he must have realized something was not quite right.

At the time of the last oil change, the car was still under the 7 year/50K warranty I purchased, so it could have been fixed at no cost to me. sigh...

Thanks for all the input,

BV

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
OK, that is good to know. Is there any way to tell if this one was from the factory or installed after the fact?

The threads in the oil pan look perfect and the threads on the original plug look fine, so I wonder why it was leaking from the plug? If the previous Viper Tech had to put silicone on the plug, he must have realized something was not quite right.

At the time of the last oil change, the car was still under the 7 year/50K warranty I purchased, so it could have been fixed at no cost to me. sigh...

Thanks for all the input,

BV

Not really a way to tell so long as the job was done correctly. The plug may have had a bad seal, or the helicoil may have backed out a bit last time the oil was changed, and was not allowing the plug to seat.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32