Oil Weight?

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've noticed that some people counsel against using heavier weight motor oil.
My Viper Tech switched me out to 20-50 Mobil 1 when I had my cats changed out and my K&N air filters installed. I questioned it, but he said that it was the best way to go. Northern California has a range of 30 degree f low temps to 100 degrees summer high.

Is there any reason to be concerned over using 20-50 for somewhat aggressive street use, and no track use? :confused:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that is wasn't Mobil 1's 0W-40...or maybe 15W-50??? I have NOT seen Mobil 1 20W-50....but even if it does exist, I would be inclined to use one of the other two Mobil products listed above for your situation...noting that your Viper was delivered new with Mobil 1 10W-30.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like they had some leftover oil, as 0-40w is great and definitely the way to go.

Recommended in the past was 10-30W, but the new formulation is superior for start-up, and on the high end the 40 viscosity rating stands up to the higher temperature readings in the summer , or with harder usage.

Some guys used 15-50W for racing in the summer, but we have found that the new weight holds up just as good, and that is even with the 50 minute runs in the World Challenge Series.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LW Viper,

I will try to explain you with a couple of exemples what these numbers mean.

The first number indicates cold temperature viscosity.
In California you can get away with 20W without issue.
In Canada I use 5W-30 in my Mercedes during winter and the temperature drops often below -20F. It works great.
In my Viper I use 10W-30 in spring and in autumn and when I am on dyno ! Some people use 0W-30 in their snow mobile. It is also used in extreme weather when temperature drops below -50F. However, this oil is too thin when starting a regular car at 40F.

The second number indicates hot temperature viscosity at a given temperature (100C => 180F). If your engin was design for 30 viscosity oil, it is better to use that oil. Using a different oil might affect performance or the wear of the engin. However in some conditions you can switch to a different oil safely. For instance I regularly use 15W-50 oil in my viper. It reduces the rockers' noice and also a little ticker. It's good when you often push the engin to its limits.

Most cars use 10W-30 oil. However for racing you can switch to 15W-50. But again this oil is thick and might increase the wear of the engin in some conditions.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(100C => 180F)

Must be that Canadian math. Here in Michigan water boils at 212F = 100C

I think you forgot to add the 32 back in when you calculated the answer.