Ok guys...opinions needed.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do your worst, how did I do? I'm curious. :rolaugh:

This was only my third time driving a Viper, I've had very little seat time driving manual. After Viper won at Road America, Kevan let me drive his on the streets the next day. I was careful, I've respected every Viper I've been in so far, so that's a relief. Only thing is this is the first time I recorded myself actually driving. The gopro's did their job so I'm pleased with that and Kevan, as you can see, was teaching me the entire time.

I've gone from driving a gen V to a gen II (GTS, non-ABS) to a gen IV and so far the gen II was the best for me, the gen IV was ok but I was driving it to much like a II (obviously, since I didn't realize you don't have to travel all the way to the floor) and the gen V...well, I don't want to be negative, but I honestly hate the clutch on that thing. It was the first launch edition from Pebble Beach so maybe the production car is better. That's the main reason why I like the gen II so much, I can feel the mechanics of how everything flows with a nice heavy clutch.

But anyway onto the video. :)

--RS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LC4eoIXZdU

ZZ SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I obviously didn't watch 17 minutes of you driving around town, but from the little I watched I saw one thing.

Try not to leave your hand resting on the shifter knob when you aren't shifting. It's bad for it and overtime can lead to it not wanting to stay in gear.

Other than that, not too bad. Nothing like driving a manual, and especially in a Viper!

HyperViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all :D

Seriously, it looks like you were doing fine, right up until you stalled it and I turned the Vid off.

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I obviously didn't watch 17 minutes of you driving around town, but from the little I watched I saw one thing.

Try not to leave your hand resting on the shifter knob when you aren't shifting. It's bad for it and overtime can lead to it not wanting to stay in gear.

Other than that, not too bad. Nothing like driving a manual, and especially in a Viper!

Will do, I'll take note of that thanks. :)

--RS

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like you were having fun :)

I will say ZZ SRT was giving you some helpful tips there with the Gearshift :2tu:

If you ever experience a Viper with a shorter shift, you should get into the rhythm of lifting your RH elbow which will turn the palm of your hand towards the passenger seat, this is essential if shifting from 3rd to 4th, (especially if giving the car full beans) if you don't lift your elbow you may pull the stick back into 2nd :omg:

I'm talking from experience here, so just want to help you in the right direction :)

Thanks for posting,

Mark UK

OP
OP
V

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone has to start somewhere. So when are you getting your own?

I'm working on that. Currently got my brain wrapped around a gen I RT/10. Next question is what color, green or white.

Looks like you were having fun :)

I will say ZZ SRT was giving you some helpful tips there with the Gearshift :2tu:

If you ever experience a Viper with a shorter shift, you should get into the rhythm of lifting your RH elbow which will turn the palm of your hand towards the passenger seat, this is essential if shifting from 3rd to 4th, (especially if giving the car full beans) if you don't lift your elbow you may pull the stick back into 2nd :omg:

I'm talking from experience here, so just want to help you in the right direction :)

Thanks for posting,

Mark UK

Thanks Mark! Yeah I was having fun, even just cruising, low speeds, etc it's just more fun in these cars.

Kevan was telling me the one reason why he doesn't have a short shifter (helloooo) was because it's easier to grab the knob being that it's right next to the steering wheel.

Ok not one part of that sentence sounded clean, but I get the idea. I was more concerned with the clutch than anything else really! LOL I appreciate the comments, anything else I can learn from the better.

--RS

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R