Ok, I get it. Changed my mind on runflats.

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have been a staunch supporter of the Michelin runflats for a number of years and conversely criticized for it. I've stood by them as they have saved me a few times from the rogue nail or cut tire motoring down the highway.

Maybe I am the last to come around and certainly Dodge did long before me with the new tire on the 08. To my defense, I haven't done much Vipering in sub 40 degree weather.

That all died today. I was driving my SRT this weekend and could not for the life of me get the car to hook up. Dead stop, slow roll regardless. The nail in the coffin was when I braked hard and the tires skipped across the cold tarmac like a stone.

My Porsche loving buddy was driving my 911 (07 Targa 4S). Granted I love my Porsche but the car has only 385hp and I wanted to prove a point today about how the Viper is a much better car. The tires alone made an **** of me as he out cornered, accelerated and braked me in my own car.

Never again. Calling JonB on Monday to get some real rubber on this car.

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You were driving in 32 degree weather, it's pretty hard to keep ANY tire working well at those temps with the amount of torque the Vper can lay down.
Having said that the PS2's will work a lot better I'm sure.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, about time. Wait until you try them in the rain. You'llactually feel safe on PS2s.

Ted

adg44

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Drove the Viper tonight, it was only 29 degrees, and it was virtually impossible to corner or accelerate at a brisk pace. I was turning onto a road, probably at 20 mph, just a slow turn, and the back stepped out and the car went sideways. It's essentially like driving in snow...

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Ok, I get it. Changed my mind on runflats.

Move to texas?? geez dave, only 2 things come from texas, steers and..........well, you the rest.

lbstone

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a similar problem early in the week. I only have 2K miles on my runflates and Viper for that matter(2005). I was getting on an interstate here when I gave the car part throttle as I switched from the right to left passing lane. All the sudden the rear end rotated way out to my right! I tried to save it but it was like I was on ice as I did a compete 360 in the middle of the busy interstate at 4:00 PM, just before rush hour!! It was about 30 degrees out and I had just got 373's and exhaust work done a few days earlier so I just wanted to take her for a ride or two before putting her away!! Nearly cost me big time, cold traction with the run flats is horrible to say the least!!

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
RavenFan 94, PS2's are far better but all tires need some heat first to perform. Get the Conti kit (or others) after you get the tires from JonB so you'll have a fall back in case of a nail.

Also, take a look at the date codes on your runflats, they could be 4 years old. I was surprised and a little disapointed to look at the PS2's on my new '08. My coupe was March '08 production, fronts are dated coded mid-December '06, rears are March '07.

Let us all know what you think about the PS2's after you put a few miles on.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
run flats make for great drifting practice...when i got rid of mine the rears were shot..anyone want a free set of front run flats..90% tread

Hamrhead

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got PS2's on my '06 Coupe.

You have to be real careful in the cold temps with these too! They will stick somewhat better once they warm up, but still nothing like warm weather.

When they're cold and the temps are low, it's sorta like ice-skating.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure there is much safety/security advantage of a runflat sport tire anyway. I've got 114,000 on Michelins and have picked up a nail or screw in that time and I've always been able to make it back home or to a garage. I think the Michelin sports car tires are built so well that there isn't need for a runflat version. I certainly would never choose a runflat tire over performance tire on a sports car.

dwhitt

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My '08's tires with 5 miles of warm up and summer temps did me little good - can't imagine how my runflats on my '06 coupe will do if the '08 tires are so much better

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My C5 had runflats. Time came to get new rears and ended up with regular and much cheaper rubber on all 4 wheels just to get rid of the poor ride quality of the runflats. The C5 rides and handles much nicer even though I got lesser performance rated tires.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have been a staunch supporter of the Michelin runflats for a number of years ........
That all died today. I was driving my SRT this weekend and could not for the life of me get the car to hook up. Dead stop, slow roll regardless. The nail in the coffin was when I braked hard and the tires skipped across the cold tarmac like a stone.

Never again. Calling JonB on Monday to get some real rubber on this car.

Ill slog thru the Triptofan Fog and get your tires right out, Thanks !
The difference is not small...it is dramatic, vs older tires with good tread.