OK, I NEED TO REPLACE MY HEAD GASKET ON MY 94 VIPER, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS??

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I NEED TO REPLACE MY HEAD GASKET ON MY 94 VIPER, WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?? What kind of gasket should I use so that this problem will not occur again? How much will the two gaskets cost me? Where can I get them? Thanks!

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy,

I had two options when faced with changing the gaskets on my '94.
A local 5-star Dodge dealer wanted about $2100 to do the job. Or you can call Parts Rack and Jon B. will hook you up with the upper engine gasket kit for about a quarter of that amount and you can then (a) do it yourself or (b) go to your own mechanic. The job isn't too daunting if you have good mechanical abilities.
You may choose to buy new head bolts, although there has been a fair amount of past discussion that concluded that re-using the factory head bolts one time is acceptable.

It's a good time to change spark plugs and add headers, too! Make sure you flush all the old coolant out of the block and upgrade to Dex-Cool.

Good luck. Have your mechanic check how much the cylider liner protrudes above the block level. If that value is off, it may indicate that the liners have shifted, which is not a good thing. More likely, the crappy stock gasket has simply corroded away and your liners are fine.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Contact the Viper Wizard...He knows all the ins and outs...Not sure how far he is from you...

Tomer

VIPER1996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get the upper end gasket kit, I emailed you the part number. I checked with several people and no one makes an aftermarket head gasket. The kit will have everything you need to put the motor back together. (intake gaskets, thermo etc.) It's OK to use the original head bolts as long as they are not pitted or rusted. I had a local mechanic that is very good do the work for me. NO BIGGIE it's not a hard job. The labor cost me $424 That included all the clamps, antifreeze, resurface the heads and cheap oil change to put 100 miles on to flush the block out. I run a car dealership so I know how much dealers charge. I think I spent about $900. I think 2000+ is INSANE. It's just a internal combustion engine. Just because it's in a $70'000 car everyone thinks that you have to be a graduate from Viper college to work on it. This car is simple. (don't be intimidated)

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER1994-

Thanks, can you e-mail that kit info at my address below? Thanks again for all your help.

Do you think i should have the heads resurfaced anyway?

MarineGuns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoa there bigr1. Sounds like you should have a mechanic do the work for you.

1. "New style multi layer heads". Jon means the gaskets, right?
2. "intake". I am clueless as to what he means??? what intake?
3. "TStat". thermostat??? right???
4. "Exhaust". what exhaust????
5. "valve covers". does this kit come with new valve covers? if so, why are they needed or different from the ones that i have?

1. Right. The whole kit is gaskets.
2. Intake manifold gasket.
3. Right, but thermostat gasket.
4. Exhaust manifold gaskets.
5. Valve cover gaskets, not new valve covers.

Good luck and I hope this fixes your problem. I may need to do the same thing but have to get the Viper in the air to see if its leaking. I have noticed some coolant lose but it may have just been a loose radiator cap.

Take care,

Howard

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes, everyone seems to be in agreement here, not too hard to do. I had a Dodge (not a Viper tech) do mine. Do some searches under "head gaskets" and you'll see lots of postings. I would really suggest you buy the Mopar Kit from Chuck Tator. He will make sure you get the upgraded gaskets and also tips and answer any questions you may have. I don't have his number here, but do a search with his name and you should find it.

MarineGuns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need the entire set. The thermostat, valve covers, intake and exhaust must be removed to do the head gasket. You probably will not be able to get all the old gaskets to reseal.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i thought that the exhaust gaskets were for the manifolds though? why would i need that, i just bought a new set of exhaust gaskets? right, so i would not need them.

Also, how many labor hours did you guys get charged when replacing all these gaskets?

GG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just had the same job done on my 94 by my viper tech under the added care warranty for a $100 deductable. Might want to check and see if your car qualfies for a warranty and buy one. Had all of the gaskets replaced including the main seal that was leaking as well, no liner slippage, so good to go...good luck...

Jeff Torrey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Randy- Here is Chuck Tator's phone # 914 763 3136 (New York)
Give him a call he can advise you on time/parts, etc. If you are going to do it yourself you will need a shop manual. He could help you with that 2. It's 7PM you have a 50/50 shot that he is still there.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Randy, why dont you just call me?

East coasters can get me til 830pm est !

Sorry that I abbreviated my email replies....comes from answeing 75-100 per day! Thanks for your inquiry.

picflight

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by VIPER1994:
[snip] It's just a internal combustion engine. Just because it's in a $70'000 car everyone thinks that you have to be a graduate from Viper college to work on it. This car is simple. (don't be intimidated)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Viper1994, I too owned a car dealership and dealers can charge very high amounts not that it isn't worth going to a dealer. But, you can do this yourself too or have a good mechanic change the gaskets for you. As Viper1994 said, it is a simple engine.

Good luck.

OP
OP
B

bigr1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, i e-mailed Jon B. and this is what he said is included in the Gen I kit:

Upper gasket Kit" New style multi layer heads, intake, TStat Exhaust, valve covers

OK HERE IS MY QUESTION, BECAUSE I AM NO TECH. (so someone here please tell me if i am right or wrong)

1. "New style multi layer heads". Jon means the gaskets, right?
2. "intake". I am clueless as to what he means??? what intake?
3. "TStat". thermostat??? right???
4. "Exhaust". what exhaust????
5. "valve covers". does this kit come with new valve covers? if so, why are they needed or different from the ones that i have?

Does anyoen else out there have Jon B.'s KIT that can shead some light on it for me as to what exactly comes in the kit?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog