On the road flat tire!

Weber

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just replaced the original Michelin Run Flats on my '05 with a set of 4 Continental ExtremeContact Sport. I drive my Gen3 every chance I get, most of the time no further than an hour from home. I just realized(duh) that now without run flats, if I have a flat, I'd have to hope to find a garage or Dodge dealer that would/could do the repair.....and what would they do, jack it on-site or tow it back to the shop.....and if the flat is a rear tire, which is much larger than the front, that presents another problem since many shops don't have the equipment or manpower to remove/reinstall the tire from/to the rim. The shop that installed the new Continental's used standard equipment but it took 2 guys working together to remove the Michelin's and install the slightly wider Continental's.
I'm thinking that a quality tire sealant and a 12v pump may be a worthwhile investment to carry in the trunk.....is that a good idea or do you other Viper owners have a better solution.
Appreciate your advice!

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I had it to do over again I would buy the Mopar kit just because it’s Mopar. It’s a can of sealant and a pump. I have the pump kit made by Slime in my trunk and have had to use the pump many times over the years because of small nails. The Slime sealant disintegrated after a year or two so I threw a can of Fix A Flat in the trunk just in case. The can of Fix A Flat will inflate a tire too but I would not use any sealant if the tire will reasonably hold air because that stuff would need to be cleaned out by the guy doing the flat repair.

OP
OP
Weber

Weber

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Appreciate your reply.....helpful! I was hoping there might be another solution to this but what you are doing makes total sense.

alansviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How do you like the continental extreme contact I'm thinking I'm getting them for my Gen. 3. Also as far as your flat goes if you get one I agree carry fix a flat and a 12 bolt pump i did that in my AC Cobra for many years and it worked great

VaderViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had this exact thing play out on my first sunday drive in my Viper. I had to run and get a sticky plug kit from autozone, and air it up because it would not hold air. The plug didn't leak and eventually I replaced to two front tires, sux cuz all 4 of the tires were new and I didn't want to run with a plug in my tire. They had 2018 date codes so eh...I guess it ain't so bad.

I keep a sticky plug kit in my trunk now, I should add a little 12V pump too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dsalameh