One issue that is bothering me about the Gen V Viper..

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At 640 HP they figure a 0-60= 3.4 and 11.4 1\2 mile et at 128 MPH was the estimated performance specs.

I would expect the new Viper to be sub 11.00 ET'S and under 3.0 sec 0-60.

Launch control, huge tires, close to ratio gear box and 640 HP..Am I missing something here?

Arthur
:dunno:

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those are just magazine figures. SRT has NOT even speculated performance numbers yet. They are waiting till the car goes into production or close to it as everything thats running around right now are just test vehicles.

virginiavenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'll bet 10 seconds in factory form will be proven. except it will require a roll bar etc. <---bs

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other query, do the test mags such as Road and track and Car and Driver power shift or to put it in better terms never lift off the gas when they test stick cars? Big difference when they go against a duel clutch system in many cars?

Arthur

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, the Venom 650's back in the day ran 3.1 0-60 and 11.3 in the quarter with slicks. True, no launch control, John H was as scoundrel etc etc ......but you can bet your bottom dollar that John H did a great job on the one that Motor Trend tested and that they ran it many time to get those numbers. Not saying the Gen 5 isn't capable of better, just offering that at similar weight and chassis configuration, the results seem consistent.....640-650 HP will get you into the low 11's and very low 3's.

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One other query, do the test mags such as Road and track and Car and Driver power shift or to put it in better terms never lift off the gas when they test stick cars? Big difference when they go against a duel clutch system in many cars?

Arthur
Unless they're doing a comparo (where they establish a strict protocol for driving and then test multiple cars), most mags will experiment with every launch and shift variant imaginable to get the best numbers.

Tail lights

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A quote from our leader Ralph Gilles about the gen 5 "THIS ***** IS FAST"

OP
OP
AAKVIPER

AAKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hummm I guess the real world road test will tell all..

The same deal with the ZR-1.. Launch control and 640 HP..one would think it wold dip under 11.00 ET's..The MPH is sick ..128-9 MPH..Just wondering if these test guys for the mags ever heard of power shifting..Granny shifting is more like it.

Just looking at it logically, something is not right..Arthur

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hummm I guess the real world road test will tell all..

The same deal with the ZR-1.. Launch control and 640 HP..one would think it wold dip under 11.00 ET's..The MPH is sick ..128-9 MPH..Just wondering if these test guys for the mags ever heard of power shifting..Granny shifting is more like it.

Just looking at it logically, something is not right..Arthur

Not to defend the magazines (since they irritate me more than educate me), they do test those vehicles in high altitude areas sometimes. I also think they are average drivers. That is why I like the format that Top Gear uses to test the vehicles; with the same professional driver on the same course.