Only fools don't change their mind/GTS&SRT comp

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only fools don\'t change their mind/GTS&SRT comp

Hi Guys!

A year ago I told everybody I didn't like the SRT and would keep my GTS.
Guess what is sitting in my garage?! A red SRT.
I disliked it when I bought a 1/18model for my son. I hated it when I saw the Startech pimpmobile at the Geneva show. I really started to like it when I saw a friend's red one.
I picked it up yesterday in Zürich and drove it home. 250 miles in cold swiss weather. Fortunately neither ice nor snow.
I got a great deal as the customer who ordered it changed his mind after testing it and took a custom built z06 convertible instead. He did that because he wants to use it quite often. After my drive I agree with him. As I have read elsewhere, the srt is like the 427 Cobra: an engine with a saddle.
My commentaries are:
My right ankle hurted after an hour driving, I changed the way to apply gas and it was ok.
The ergonomics are better but not very good.
The chassis is amazing compared to the old one. I have promised myself not to track it but that will be difficult.
The brakes are the best I have tried. Better than the stoptech setup I have on my GTS.
The guy who designed the vents on the hood should be put to fry on them. When I opened the windows we were engulfed in hot air. I will block them off with a piece of cardboard and see what happens. The 69-70 Shelby Mustang had the same and I remember the same feeling(yes, I am that old...).
The power is good but my GTS has a SR supercharger and is definitively faster.
The srt has had almost no media coverage in Europe so the Wow factor is inexistent. It's a "what is it" factor. I always gets thumb up and smiles with my GTS.

The 93-02 will always be THE Viper. This one is a fantastic hot rod and an excellent evolution. If my wallet permits I will keep both otherwise the srt might end seeing track time.

Two things I noted:
During my(cold) journey, the oil temp didn't move until city traffic. Is it normal?
I have mist inside the headlight lenses. Is that normal?? Never heard off!

Thank you for your input,
Anders
Geneva
Switzerland

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Only fools don\'t change their mind/GTS&SRT comp

Congrats on the change. I did the same thing. I even came on this board and bashed the SRT with gusto. Still not as good looking as a GTS, but it has really grown on me. The oil temp is normal, at least between our two cars. The vents on the hood don't cause the heat to boil into the car, it's the side vents. I think. Wait 'till SUMMER! Most of us have changed the exhaust to cool the sills, but since you have rear pipes, and euro noise regs.....who knows.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Let us know if blocking some or all of the hood vents reduces or eliminates the heat coming over the top. I have a catless system and the heat still comes in over the top. Better yes, but not cool enough for hot summer days. For mine it is not exhaust heat as the side sills stay fairly cool (no cats and Dynomax bullet mufflers). I have not had any significant floor heat due to the exhaust like I had in the RT/10.

No mist in the headlamps to date.

Oil temperature is slow to rise and increases during city traffic and periods of spirited driving.

What driving position change did you make to improve your ankle? I have 3000 miles and a sore ankle to prove I was driving :)

YouWish

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT is no doubt a very capable sports car. I have tried and tried to like the styling it just doesn't cut it for me. The only reason I am replying is because,you said only fools won't like the SRT. I am no fool for not liking the styling of the SRT. Now if they make the coupe i'll be in line. :2tu:

ACR Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The SRT is no doubt a very capable sports car. I have tried and tried to like the styling it just doesn't cut it for me. The only reason I am replying is because,you said only fools won't like the SRT. I am no fool for not liking the styling of the SRT. Now if they make the coupe i'll be in line. :2tu:

Me too, except I need a change soooo SRT-10 it is! If DC does come out with a coupe, I'll trade up!

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Also have the mist in the right front headlamp - guessing it is not properly sealed. Have not look into fixing yet but when I do will post results.
Ken

OP
OP
A

Anders Dahlquist

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ok, let me rephrase:
"Only fools NEVER change their mind" or "never say never".
Which does not mean you have to agree with my decision.
The gas pedal is too low, as stated on this forum before. By putting my whole foot on it I avoid the discomfort but I will certainly have it changed because I like the feeling to control the throttle with the front of my foot(whatever it's called...)!
Anybody else has tried to block of the hood vents? My Viper is entering winter storage so it will take some months before I drive it again.
Thank you Ken for the mist report.

And Happy Christmas!

Anders

acarr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Anders, Kenvw
I too have moisture inside of both headlamps. It seems to happen when it is cool outside because it didnt happen during warmer weather.....hot engine bay/cool outside temps.
Selling dealer said that both headlamps will be replaced under factory warranty. Wonder how many other SRTs see this problem?

Russ Oasis

Enthusiast
Reaction score

By me, the most important thing to change would be the position of the gas pedal.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

If there is air inside the headlight assembly, the moisture is condensing on the inside of the cover because of the cold temperature outside.

So it seems that the best way to manufacture the headlight assembly would be to have it sealed with an inert gas. But you have to open the housing to replace the lamps, so that wouldn't work. Maybe a heater, to dissapate the moisture? A dessicant packet might help, but would soon become inefective as it absorbs all it can hold.

If you were the manufacturer, how would you solve the problem? Anybody know how other brands handle headlight interior condensation? I know my daughter's Mitsubishi headlights regularly cloud up inside, its also go the same problem. My GTS never headlights never cloud up, and also have never been opened yet.

When I first got my GTS, my left foot used to hurt a little, from the low angle as it rests the floor. Now I don't even notice it. Seat still sukks, though!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If it helps my RT/10 headlamps cloud up a little. They clear up very fast once turned on. They get cloudy very infrequently so it is not an issue for me.

kenvw

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The issue with the misting on the inside of the headlamp is that only one of mine (the righthand one) has this problem. Since the left side is good I think it not much to expect both sides being of equal quality. Ther should be a fix of some sort.
Ken

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang