Opinions on remanufactured, rebuilt parts - rack and pinion and power steering pump?

488civ10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, I was looking for any opinions on the use of remanufactured or rebuilt parts.

Specifically, my 96 GTS is in need of a rack and pinion assembly and a power steering pump. While there is quite a large difference in price (more than 2x), I'm more concerned about function and durability. If remanufactured parts meets those criterias satisfactorily, then I'd consider that option.

I have not tracked the car, but anticipate a few trips in the future. Any comments on experience, much appreciated!

mike

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Opinions on remanufactured, rebuilt parts - rack and pinion and power steering pu

Hi Mike, for what it's worth, I've been in the auto repair business for a long time and always use reman parts. When they remanufacture the parts, they replace all the items that normally wear out. Occasionally I've had a defective unit, but it's rare. Since the rack and pinion is so easy to replace on our cars, getting a defective unit is no big deal for the savings.

The defects will generally show immediatley. Noise, leaks, no power assist to either or both directions.

If mine was to be at fault, I would certainly replace it with a reman. When the warranty runs out of course.

Hope this helps. Johnny boy

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Opinions on remanufactured, rebuilt parts - rack and pinion and power steering pu

Well, it's not like the reman company has any less liability...