Opinions on Viper Fresh Air Kit

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any real results from using the Viper Fresh Air Kit from Advantage Performance? The explanation on the site makes sense and the price is tons better than Vipair or Vararam. What about rain factor from a ******* airbox? I did a K & N ziptie mod on my ZO6 where I took out the airbox assembly completely and put a rubber hood seal on to keep the water out. Lastly, where can I get some low cost Cat sims?

SilverBlueGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never heard of it. Best bang for buck is K&N filters, smooth tubes and cut out rain baffle. Add a Vipe-Air if you really want to go fast.

JT

OP
OP

'01 Big Bird

Viper Owner
Reaction score
SilverBlue,

How do you cut out the rain baffle and what evil will it do if it actually rains? Is it really worth doing?

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A piece of soft foam (upholstery shop) inserted into the NACA duct (make the foam slightly longer & wider than the NACA duct) will block rain from entering if you're caught out on the road in the rain. The OE airbox is wider than the NACA duct so the engine will still get some air if you put the foam in the NACA duct..

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SilverBlue,

How do you cut out the rain baffle and what evil will it do if it actually rains? Is it really worth doing?

You actually cut the entire section of the box with the baffle moulded in out and replace the "hole" with a flat plate, caulked amd rivited in.

Drive a Viper in the rain......what's that? LOL!!!!!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the VFAK you don't cut anything. Just remove the OEM access panel in front of the airbox, 4 bolts and that's it.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rain baffle on the GTS is very much in the way of air flow, and as Sean Roe told me several years ago, he has been caught in the rain on occasions in Florida, as it rains all time down there, and never had a proplem.

Now if you are running a K&N stlye filter, water is no enemy to them, and will not ********* them easilly. Thats what we clean them with. I think you would be surprised as to how little water enters the opening. There is a drain in the box that will drain any great amount that does come in. Lofted papers filters will could get wet, then dry and shrink the fibers tight. That may be a problem. Who runs paper anyway. If a very small amount of water did enter the intake, it's no big deal, and won't harm anything. I just wouldn't drive to long in a torential downpour.

Skip White