Optima Batteries

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
they are great in that they don't leak. However they don't last either. I get a year or less out of them. Even the battery rep says they have problems with the battery not lasting. No Joke this am I went to start my everyday car and it was so dead the interior light didn't even come on. I put a yellow top in about 10 months ago after the red top lasted only 12 months. Point being besides the fact that they do not leak , the batteries are JUNK. I will be buying another new battery tonight

What he said....

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My CC was charged and I haven't even seen the promised coupon.
We sent you an e-mail when you made payment to let you know that your VCA membership had expired at the end of 2008. We provided the contact information for VCA HQ to get you renewed and never heard back from you after that. If you don't wish to renew just let us know and we will refund the Optima payment right away. Thanks!

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I really think someone needs to drive a wedge between the Red Top and Yellow Tops... I have installed dozens, and they are all ticking away for years, and years, and years now. Hell, I think the Yellow in *MY* SRT is going on 5 years old now, and I still listen to the radio for hours on end at car shows and such without issues.

Red Tops... yeah, havent had great luck and stopped using them back in '05

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And while this is posted in the main Optima thread, please note that ALL certificates are mailed with the posters that you should receive within a few days of payment (we ship Priority Mail immediately). The certificate needs to be sent or faxed by you as you need to specify which model of battery you want - not everybody is ordering for their Vipers. So look for a very large white envelope with your certificate and two letters - one with how to redeem your certificate and the other a thank-you from the VCA and how to get your World Challenge race tickets. Thanks for your support!

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The basic problem with spiral wound absorbent glass mat lead acid batteries (read Optima) is their sensitivy to excess rate of charge. Very dependent on temperature and charging system settings. Vehicles designed for Optima use provide a somewhat different charging strategy to avoid this issue. The basics are less acid volume therfore more sensitivity to boiling. As a result they may seem more fragile and failure prone. As a result flat plate absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries are becoming the norm for non hybrid vehicles with increasing their electrical loads and load cycles.

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you guys use a battery tender when left parked more than a week?? I haven't had any problems at all with the use of a tender. My cars all go dead after sitting for 2-3 weeks. Not just the Viper. Really goes dead fast when I forget to turn off the radar detector.
I wouldn't use anythging but a gell battery in the Viper...A wet battery already destroyed the paint on the left rear underbody...What a pain to fix because of a battery.

Revtune

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had one(yellow top) in my Ram that is equipped with the V10. Battery did not last worth a damn. The OEM battery lasted SEVEN YEARS, the Optima lasted TWO. Got a good old Die Hard in there now and it is excellent. Was VERY unhappy with the life of that Optima battery, and it was expensive too.

Definitely won't buy another one.

tg0056

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i am installing a red top optima battery in my 1999GTS should i use either tray(A) or tray(B),that comes with the battery, under the battery?

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OPtima. No Problems and no acid pukeing. Red or yellow. After a drive I hook up a charger. With a full charge and the alarm off it will start the car instantly no problem after a long winter. GTS Bruce

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang