Original Rim Options

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a 1994 Yellow Viper with 9 miles. Love the car...even more since I synch'd the throttle cables.

Question: The originals rims are nice...but certainly not great. Has anyone tried to either paint or powder coated them black? I figure the black rims look great on the 2005 VCA Viper...they should look good on the rt/10???

racerjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It has been done a few times try looking through the pics im sure you will come across some.

Also the rims from any other viper will fit your car without any issues. Thats what i did to update the look of my 94. my wheels are off an 08.

cfiiman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 94 as well but mine are polished and look like chrome, I think they are awesome that way, BUT.........oh to have the spec 5's (insert a drool icon).

rpm9000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have stock 3 spokes on my car that are powdercoated black. I think they look pretty wicked on a black car. I also have a set of polished 98 model 5 spokes and a set of 2004 10 spokes. I swap wheels frequently.

OP
OP
Tonym6071

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uvbnbit, what paint did you use? Did you clearcoat gloss or a satin finish. Are the results good? I know Dupli-color has a wheel kit paint option.

Thanks to all for your comments...much appreciated!

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Black, Polished or Chrome would look great but i like em with the factory coating as well.

Is the coating on your wheels failing or are you simply looking to change the look?
IMO the biggest thing that will make them look better is lowering the car a bit with Either springs or perchCaps. The 17" SIZE is the onlything that looks dated about them IMO and this is accentuated by the large fender/wheel gap.

If someone was to make an 18" and/or 19" replica of the Gen1 3-Spoke it would look So money on a Gen1 IMO

OP
OP
Tonym6071

Tonym6071

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dom426h,
The wheels are perfect...also a reason for evaluating all my options. I am a big fan of originality...but I also want the car to look great! I figure I could alway paint them to their original color one day!

The black effect will probably help with reducing the fender/wheel gap effect???

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
uvbnbit, what paint did you use? Did you clearcoat gloss or a satin finish. Are the results good? I know Dupli-color has a wheel kit paint option.

Thanks to all for your comments...much appreciated!

I have a wheel repair business (not that it matters :D), I used Spies Hecker flat black base. Not sure which brand clear I used. The clear coat gives it the "shiny" gloss look. I think they turned out good. If you plan on tracking your car, I'd get them powdercoated though. Personally, I think the wheel "kits" are crap. It's all in the prep, application, and good quality clear. Hope this helps.
-chip

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang