Other than the Viper, what exotic car holds it's value well?

ViperRay

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Other than the Viper, what exotic car holds it\'s value well?

I have had similar thoughts Sean but every time I investigate a little further, I find the maintenance expenses to be more than I'd like.

For example, I've looked at Diablos from early to later models. The early models had many problems and many things need to be changed right off the bat to avoid breaking down and incurring even higher expenses.

I probably wouldn't get a lambo before 1994 model year (VT or SV) and preferably newer and would look very carefully at the service history and recommended updates. It would have to be low mileage.

I'm sure people here will disagree but if you're really going to drive it, the maintenance costs need to be considered (I mean clutches every 3K mi. if you drive it in a spirited fashion).

Not sure about insurance premiums.

A 360 Modena seems reasonable for $125K and probably won't lose your shirt but not as exotic looking as a Lambo IMO.

I guess that's why I have a small collection of American Muscle from the '60's...you can maintain them and repair them yourself and still enjoy driving them although they don't have the performance of modern cars if left stock.
But, they will maintain their value or even appreciate if you take care of it and have the right models.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

I have had similar thoughts Sean but every time I investigate a little further, I find the maintenance expenses to be more than I'd like.....

How very true.
A newer vehicle would definitely have to be a consideration in that regard.
About 5 years ago I sold my 928S. It was a great car the first couple years, but when it started costing me about $1K a month in maintenance repairs, it was time to go.
Conversely, I've had the '96 GTS for over 5 years and the only part that's ever broken on it was a headlight relay about 3 months ago. The only thing I ever do to it other than drive it and beat on it testing is change fluids and filters. It's been the most relaible car I've ever owned.

Regards,
Sean

Brian E

Viper Owner
Reaction score

"So far, the Diablo sounds like it may be worth studying up on, as well as some of the Ferrari models.
Are used Gallardo's too new?"

Fox Valley in Illinois has a 04 yellow E gear Gallardo with less than 400 miles on it for 159k.
The original owner is also from Elkhart In. The car is perfect.
They have had it for a few months so they might be ready to move it.
PM me if you want more information on it.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The notion that early diablos are prone to breakdown and costly is a crock of [******]..As long as the upgrades have been done which in most cases have..they are very reliable and bulletproof Sean..I speak from experience not myth..Just make sure you get one with full maintenance and upgrade records..you can find one easily in the 90 range and there is no more depreciation occurring..your into a 250G car for 90..thats a deal and you can always turn her over fairly easily... Anyone who hasnt owned a diablo speaks from fiction not fact...

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure people here will disagree but if you're really going to drive it, the maintenance costs need to be considered (I mean clutches every 3K mi. if you drive it in a spirited fashion).

Total fabrication and bull...once clutch has been replaced and in most cases the vehicle your looking at has had it done already you can have a "spirited' ride all you want and not have to worry about the clutch failing in 3K miles...Again another example of misinformed opinions..speak to people who own them not ones who loathe them...Spoken from one who owns both a viper and a diablo...

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I think Italian cars are more durable than people give them credit for especially the higher mileage cars. I wouldn't buy a 91 Diablo with only 3K miles.... you're just asking for trouble just like any other car that sits for that long. Repairs can be costly though, replacement of a starter that went bad on my friend's Murcielago was around 4K! :eek: :eek:

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score

With Diablos, the key element is getting one that's had all of the regular maintenance performed at scheduled intervals. I have to agree with Adam, the cars are as reliable as maintained. Getting a car with documented service records is a key element.

I've driven two Diablos, one at MSR and the other through a friend, and the experience was similar to that of having sex for the first time. I equate a Diablo with a hot women: it has all the right curves, and it's a tiger when you hit it. Very few cars elicite such a visceral response.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My neighbor just sold his 95 Diablo VT. Owned it for 8 months and had to replace the clutch twice. Maybe he got a bad one but he spend a lot of money maintaining it in the short time he owned it. He traded it on a 996TT that I drove last week. Pulls harder in first gear than any car I have ever driven. :eek: :eek:

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My neighbor just sold his 95 Diablo VT. Owned it for 8 months and had to replace the clutch twice. Maybe he got a bad one but he spend a lot of money maintaining it in the short time he owned it. He traded it on a 996TT that I drove last week. Pulls harder in first gear than any car I have ever driven. :eek: :eek:

I concur... I had a chipped 996TT that my buddy currently owns and have driven that car and his Murcielago back to back and the Porsche seat of the pants pulls harder through first gear but the Murc catches up later since it has such a tall first gear if I'm not mistaken, up to 70 mph! BTW an 01' 996TT would be a great car that has hit the flat spot of the depreciation curve also.

Dohhunter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know, but you guys are making me salivate with this post.

Insurance is always my weak spot in buying cars up here. Us canadians don't have specialty insurers like Avon etc....the only ones we have are for cars 15 yrs or older.

It's either the Viper or the Trans Am this year, but I think I know what the decision is going to be :)

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Sean,

I would look at Ferrari or Porsche. I do know the Lambo's had a number of quality issues related to a Class action lawsuit a few yrs back. to Lambo's credit I thought I read they took care of the issues and owners, but none the less the issue was there. I have no exp with the English companies.

Either way... Good luck!

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

The notion that early diablos are prone to breakdown and costly is a crock of [******]..As long as the upgrades have been done which in most cases have..they are very reliable and bulletproof Sean..I speak from experience not myth..Just make sure you get one with full maintenance and upgrade records..you can find one easily in the 90 range and there is no more depreciation occurring..your into a 250G car for 90..thats a deal and you can always turn her over fairly easily... Anyone who hasnt owned a diablo speaks from fiction not fact...

Adam, what upgrades are you speaking of? What things must have been to the car before purchasing it?

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Adam, what upgrades are you speaking of? What things must have been to the car before purchasing it?

The early diablos had factory ask for them to be brought in for chain tensioner replacement and some minor wiring harness upgrrades to rid them of the so cold gremlins..a few other minor things ...I do agree that a driven car is more desirable as a driver car to enjoy with less hassles than a car that was a garage queen..all exotic cars including vipers fall into that category

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The early diablos had factory ask for them to be brought in for chain tensioner replacement and some minor wiring harness upgrades to rid them of the so called gremlins..a few other minor things ...I do agree that a driven car is more desirable as a driver car to enjoy with less hassles than a car that was a garage queen..all exotic cars including vipers fall into that category

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

What you must first consider, is that the majority of th erumors about maintenece costs, inmo are started by people, who REALLY want to buy these cars, but really cant afford them, so they brainwash themselves into thinking these rediculous thoughts.

Here are some of my thoughts both as an owner of 3 Lambos, and from being amongst the Lambo crowd for years. First off, if you need to replace the clutch every 3K miles, YOU ARE AN IDIOT. I personally have had 3 lambos, First i sold with 76k on the clock(original clutch) 2nd Diablo i ownly had for 1 year so i wont count it, and my 3rd Diablo Sv, is on its orginal clutch still after being driven hard for 7 years now. Most of you know i beat the [******] out of my car, and spray nitrous. I know many people who drive their cars daily, no clutch issues whatsoever. Some of you here may know Joe Martinez, he has a supercharged Viper and an 01 6.0. He likes drag racing his Diablo, and according to him, he logged over 9,000 miles of serious abuse before he started to feel his clutch slip. Others, who are less prone to drag racing, have 40-50-60k miles, an owner in England with over 250,000 miles on his Diablo with one clutch change.

Early model Diablos are great cars, couple of factory updates need to be performed and the cars are fantastic. The motors are virtually bullit proof. These cars are at the bottom of their depreciation. You will not lose.

As for Ferrari, if you like Viper, you will not like the Fcar. They are boring. I just sold my 355. Horrible car.

Lastly, a Murcielago will dust a chipped 996TT.

radta7

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Allanlambo,

how does a Murcielago compare to the diablo? Acceleration? Handling? etc?

Just curious from someone who has driven both AND knows how to DRIVE both vs the magazines.

RD

thebigsnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Whatever will be touched by Barret Jackson's pudgy hand on one of his televised shows. But if your going to joy-ride one for only six months, the value shouldn't be too affected.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I don't think the Murcielago will dust a chipped 996TT. My buddy owns both and we have run from various speeds and its neck and neck. It may be able to beat it the majority of the time but not DUST it. Both are high 11 second cars. ;)

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Murcielago and Diablo are too different animals. Stock for stock, an Sv or 6.0 is quicker than the Murcielago. The Diablo feels more of a beast of a car, the Murcielago is extremely comfortable and easy to drive. The Murcielagos clutch, gearshift is so smooth you are just as comfortable in bumper to bumper traffic as on the open road. Handling, is a toss up. Compared to my Sv, which is 2 wheel drive, the Murcielago is much more sure footed, against a 6.0 it is pretty much equal. When i had my Countach, after driving a Diablo, i wanted to trade the Countach in towards the Diablo. Going from my Diablo into the Murcielago, does not give me that feeling. I have to them both. 2 completely different animals.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't think the Murcielago will dust a chipped 996TT. My buddy owns both and we have run from various speeds and its neck and neck. It may be able to beat it the majority of the time but not DUST it. Both are high 11 second cars. ;)

Yes, if you are talking dead stop 1/4 mile, yes the Murcielago will not dust a chipped 996TT. It will beat it though. BUT, from a roll on, at speed, especially higher speeds, the Murcielago pulls hard. Done this experiment a few times with a 996TT with both chip and exhaust.

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yes, if you are talking dead stop 1/4 mile, yes the Murcielago will not dust a chipped 996TT. It will beat it though. BUT, from a roll on, at speed, especially higher speeds, the Murcielago pulls hard. Done this experiment a few times with a 996TT with both chip and exhaust.

Agreed

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Allan, Adam mensioned the chain tensioner and the wiring harness upgrade. Other than those two items, are there any other must do things to pre-94's? Is there a list somewhere online of things that need to be check specifically on the Diablo? Those are two that Adam mensioned are very Diablo specific which is great information.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Aaron..no there arent any other upgrades that were factory recommended..these cars are really mechanically sound..and boy are they fun to drive..early diablos are rack in pinion sterring so much more like a true racecar...very responsive and precise but theyre made for speed and are no fun to drive in bumper to bumper traffic..thats for sure

if you want more info here are a couple of links to check out..
http://www.lambo-power.com/phpBB2/
http://www.lamboweb.com/

Diablo Joe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I paid 168k for my 01 6.0 about two years ago and I could probably sell it for the same money(if not more)

Joe

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In addition to the tensioner updates, you have an oil pump upgrade, and the pinion shaft is updated. also, by now, most early cars have all been updated.

George Bryce

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where can I buy one? What year and how much Diablo can I get for 90 to 100K? I have had no luck finding anything yet. Can ya help me?

GB3

Jerry Dobson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow… I could write a book here, but I won’t.

Maintenance on an Italian car is not the same as a Viper. It will be higher. I think the biggest problem is that many of these cars do not get driven and deterioration will take place from sitting idle.

Many of the clutch failures are driver induced. Too much clutch slippage.

Do your homework and research the cars. Don’t take one persons word for any particular model because they owned ONE. Some older cars are better than newer ones. Take for instance the 328… more reliable than the 348.

The problem is that you are driving a fast Viper. You may not be happy even with a 355 or 360. They won’t have the power that you now have, although the fun factor is there!

I do like the F40 a lot. But now we are talking big money.

In my opinion, the Diablo is the sexiest car ever produced.

Sean, if you want to talk Ferrari and Lamborghinis and Lotuses… Call me. Then you will get the real scoop.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wow… I could write a book here, but I won’t.

Maintenance on an Italian car is not the same as a Viper. It will be higher. I think the biggest problem is that many of these cars do not get driven and deterioration will take place from sitting idle.

Many of the clutch failures are driver induced. Too much clutch slippage.

Do your homework and research the cars. Don’t take one persons word for any particular model because they owned ONE. Some older cars are better than newer ones. Take for instance the 328… more reliable than the 348.

The problem is that you are driving a fast Viper. You may not be happy even with a 355 or 360. They won’t have the power that you now have, although the fun factor is there!

I do like the F40 a lot. But now we are talking big money.

In my opinion, the Diablo is the sexiest car ever produced.

Sean, if you want to talk Ferrari and Lamborghinis and Lotuses… Call me. Then you will get the real scoop.

I agree with you on several counts and disagree on a few, mainly maintenece costs. You are not specific as to which make of italian car you refer to, so i'll assume Ferrari, because of its cam belt changes. In my experience, the Lambos have been completely trouble free. Maintenece on my Sv has been nill. Oil and filter changes define 7 years of ownership, 4 of which have been run using a 150 dry shot. The car has just recently been shipped to L.A. where it will have its clutch changed, and plugs. Both of which are still perfectly ok, but the motor is coming out to some head porting and possibly twin turboes.

I know of a 1994 Diablo Vt, red/black 22,000 miles, recent services, new borla exhaust, that can be purchased for 100k. It is a one owner car, that has been test driven by a member of our board, who said it was in excellent shape.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Allan,

Is there ANY type of aftermarket warranty you could get on a Diablo? Just to protect you from something major (engine or tranny). I realize you are saying they are pretty reliable, and so are Vipers, but you still hear of Viper owners that toast there motor every blue moon. Now a 5 grand rebuild on a Viper motor is do-able for us 'doing well, but not wealthy guys'. But I shutter to think what a complete rebuild would cost on a Diablo. 30-40K? Maybe more? The 90-100K initial cost of purchase may be do-able if the return is there when you sell, and even moderate maintanence cost are do-able, but it is the fear of the catostrophic failure. Any advice? Any way to protect yourself?

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes, there is a warranty company, but im not sure if they warranty cars that are 10 years old. I can check for you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang