Other than the Viper, what exotic car holds it's value well?

jimster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Other than the Viper, what exotic car holds it\'s value well?

Where can I buy one? What year and how much Diablo can I get for 90 to 100K? I have had no luck finding anything yet. Can ya help me? GB3

Try eBay, Autotrader, the Lambo forums, and Lambo dealers (for car that have been traded in).

BTW...........I've found two really nice Diablos for around 90k. Both had maintenance records and were in great shape.

One thing I've noticed is that serious collectors tend to ask more for their cars. Of course, that goes for any car whther its a Lambo, Ferarri, Porsche, or Viper.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just as another view I'd suggest getting a Lotus Elise. :cool:
It's different, rare, fun, and would be a great contrast to the Viper experience in the power delivery and handling.

Far more than the Viper, cars like the Lamborghinis and Ferraris hold their value best when they are rarely driven.
Mainteneance is expensive, even if it's not a problem and considered part of the investment in the car. And again it will add up unless you don't drive the car very much.

I've always liked the styling of the Diablo, it screams exotic, and unless you are in a Lamborghini club, you are not likely to see another one on the road. :2tu:

But I don't think that I'd want to buy an 11 year old Italian car for $100K+. :eek:
Or a Ferrari for that matter.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just as another view I'd suggest getting a Lotus Elise. :cool:
It's different, rare, fun, and would be a great contrast to the Viper experience in the power delivery and handling.

Far more than the Viper, cars like the Lamborghinis and Ferraris hold their value best when they are rarely driven.
Mainteneance is expensive, even if it's not a problem and considered part of the investment in the car. And again it will add up unless you don't drive the car very much.

I've always liked the styling of the Diablo, it screams exotic, and unless you are in a Lamborghini club, you are not likely to see another one on the road. :2tu:

But I don't think that I'd want to buy an 11 year old Italian car for $100K+. :eek:
Or a Ferrari for that matter.

first...once a diablo is 14 yrsa old its not depreciating anymore..they have bottomed..so that statement of holding their value because theyre driven is wrong..as a matter of fact they are preferrable to a person who wants one to drive..the maintenance issue of being expensive and excessive is false if the car has been well maintained and serviced ..and third try 90G for a 14 yr old car in pristine condition because lambo owners take care of their cars..

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wasn't considering the 11 years as a point of depreciation, but simply being an 14 year old Italian car, from the point of maintenance, parts availability, and cost.

I can buy a 14 year old Rolls Royce for about $25K, It also was a VERY expensive, Very exclusive car when new, and it's depreciation is pretty much leveled off now as well.

If you have a passion for Rolls Royces, it's certainly a bargain to buy one with super low mileage for about the same cost as a Honda Accord. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, you lost me at suggesting a Lotus Elise as an alternative. Inmo, you are completely misinformed and forming opinions with no merit or experience.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I wasn't considering the 11 years as a point of depreciation, but simply being an 14 year old Italian car, from the point of maintenance, parts availability, and cost.

I can buy a 14 year old Rolls Royce for about $25K, It also was a VERY expensive, Very exclusive car when new, and it's depreciation is pretty much leveled off now as well.

If you have a passion for Rolls Royces, it's certainly a bargain to buy one with super low mileage for about the same cost as a Honda Accord. But it wouldn't be my first choice.

no flame intended but now your comparing a 25G rolls royce car to a 90G lambo diablo car..totally irrelevant and not helpful to what Sean Roe is asking..you lost me too!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Funny guys. And you are right, I have zero experience owning an exotic car. Especially a Lamborghini.

You two are clearly enthusiasts, having bit the bullet and bought Diablos for yourselves.

My perspective is clearly not one of a convinced Lambo owner, but as a Viper owner stating my reservations about exotic and ultra-rare car costs in general.

The age of the car, parts availability, and servicability is wholly relevant to this discussion.

It's not a point of being a deal killer (even for me) as there are many classic cars that are even older, with harder to find, more expensive parts. But people still often pay $$$ for rare classic cars because of their passion for them.

Parts and service for the Viper is easily more than a Corvette, and I accept that as part of the cost of ownership of such a unique car. But I don't deny it.

My point on the Elise is that even though it's not an exotic car that Sean was asking for, it is a low production, rare and fun toy that's very different from the Viper.

This point was directed to see if Sean was purely looking for an exotic car, or for a fun toy (which an exotic car is also).

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Fair enough Snakester..I too am a viper owner and enthusiast so I have the same perspective about my viper and reasons for owning one.. All Allan and I were pointing out is that there seems to be a great deal of misconceptions about diablos when it comes to reliability and maintenance. But with that said of course if one buys the wrong car with problems waiting to happen due to neglect or service a diablo can be a very expensive car to repair in contrast to a viper...Peace

ERDOC

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Funny guys. And you are right, I have zero experience owning an exotic car. Especially a Lamborghini.

You two are clearly enthusiasts, having bit the bullet and bought Diablos for yourselves.

My perspective is clearly not one of a convinced Lambo owner, but as a Viper owner stating my reservations about exotic and ultra-rare car costs in general.

The age of the car, parts availability, and servicability is wholly relevant to this discussion.

It's not a point of being a deal killer (even for me) as there are many classic cars that are even older, with harder to find, more expensive parts. But people still often pay $$$ for rare classic cars because of their passion for them.

Parts and service for the Viper is easily more than a Corvette, and I accept that as part of the cost of ownership of such a unique car. But I don't deny it.

My point on the Elise is that even though it's not an exotic car that Sean was asking for, it is a low production, rare and fun toy that's very different from the Viper.

This point was directed to see if Sean was purely looking for an exotic car, or for a fun toy (which an exotic car is also).

I think perhaps he was looking for cars that have limited depreciation from usage like the previously mentioned cars. Basically be able to drive the car without losing any money. Lotuses traditionally have depreciated heavily when bought new. I'd wait a few years to buy an Elise if that's your thing.... personally, I wouldn't.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The ELise, is not exotic. Its a horrible car also. God forbid you get into a wreck, and try getting in and out of one with the top on.

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have never driven a Lambo, although Allan makes me want to consider 'owning' one.... Or at least test drive this beast. So Allan, when you have an extra minute, find out about that protection plan. You can email me at [email protected].

On the other hand, I have driven an Elise. Here's a quick summary: If you are medium/large to large built, whether it be all muscle or fat, you WILL NOT be comfortable. When I say not comfortable, I mean a Viper GTS feels like a Bentley in comparison. My take is it would make a fun little track car, although it could REALLY use a 50-100 HP boost. Don't let the 0-60 times fool you, this car is NOT fast in a straight line. As for a street car, I would rank it very low on my list of 'cars to have at 40K'. On the positive, it can really maintain the speed thru turns, and it brakes EXTREMELY well. Another plus is this car will PROBABLY not be able to be sold in the U.S. after 2007 (I think). It did not pass the US crash testing, but was given a 3 year pass (can't remember why, but the Lotus dealer told me....). So it may become somewhat of a collectable. Lotus plans to sell a similar car that will pass crash testing, but will look a bit different and weigh more. Not sure if they will keep the Elise name, but I bet not...

00prowler

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I forgot that a 91 Diablo does not have any airbags. Engine in the rear, not a very comforting feeling. Pretty suprising for a quarter million. My moms old 92 ****** had one...00PROWLER...

Dohhunter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice looking car.

$95,000 and see if you can get him to pay for the enclosed shipping, then buy some HRE's for her :)

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Hmm, I would not have expected this thread to go so long.
But, I'm glad to be getting this information and it looks like it will be helpful for other people here also.
I tend to research things a lot before making a decision, so it will still be quite a while "if" I make a step in this direction.
For me, the Viper ('92-'02) has all the looks and power that I want. I really could not want for a more powerful car than I have now (have you ever tried to connect 600 RWTQ at 1,700 RPM to the ground?).
I will not sell the Viper, but after having one since 1998, I think it could be fun to have a short term affair with an Italian exotic.
Maybe I've got the seven year itch, or need a vacation ;)

Regards,
Sean

S

sachin

i am looking for a 1991 Diablo (earliest production date the better, needs to be 15 years old to month of production to import to Canada). If anyone knows of any can you please email me at [email protected] :)

I personally would go for a Diablo. I currently have a 2001 Lotus V8 Twin Turbo and I am quite dissappointed with it. Everyone always complains that Vipers ride so harsh and the build quality is not that great, all I have to say is try out a Lotus.

Dohhunter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i am looking for a 1991 Diablo (earliest production date the better, needs to be 15 years old to month of production to import to Canada). If anyone knows of any can you please email me at [email protected] :)

I personally would go for a Diablo. I currently have a 2001 Lotus V8 Twin Turbo and I am quite dissappointed with it. Everyone always complains that Vipers ride so harsh and the build quality is not that great, all I have to say is try out a Lotus.

The only problem with the early diablos, in my eyes anyhow, is they have a very outdated interior, JMO.

I've imported a couple of cars now into Ontario, good luck finding what you are looking for :)

THOR

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Check out a Diablo SE 30 or SE Jota. Its super rare (only 150 made, 10 of those are Jotas), over 500hp, looks awesome, and its value has probably bottomed out and may even increase. There was one for sale in Hawaii a couple months back for $125K. If I had the funding, I would have jumped on it.

allanlambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The car in Hawaii is a POS. I went to Hawaii to buy it. It been in an accidient, bad paintwork, very rough all around.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Thanks for the input everyone.
I'm going to keep an eye open for the right kind of deal, one that I can afford to own for a short time.
However, knowing that I can't afford too much monthly debt, I'm going to sell a car that I've enjoyed for a few years and am still making payments on.
If anyone likes the V12 Mercedes SL600's, I have a very clean 1998 silver one with the Sport option and 19" CC wheels I'll be putting up for sale.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Regards,
Sean

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hi Everyone,

Looking for a little input here from those with experience in the exotic car field.

The Viper holds it's value really well and has probably spoiled me a bit (in more ways than one as everything else seems slow now). The times I've sold one, I've come close to breaking even on it, so that the cost of ownership has been minimal (finance charges if the money was borrowed, insurance, maintenance).

Do any of the more expensive exotics, such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, etc. hold their value as well? Obviously, I understand you have to buy it right to begin with, but, if you wanted to get one of those cars, which would be the easiest to sell a year or less later and retain its value well?

I'm thinking, before my time is up, I'd like to have one of those cars, even if it was for less than a year. With my credit, I think I could one day afford to short term finance one and may be able to justify the finance charges, as long as I didn't loose a lot of money due to depreciation, or not having a good market to sell it in. I'm thinking maybe a balloon note with monthly interest payments only.

For those that have been fortunate enough to have those cars, or are in that business, what's your opinion. What car would hold it's value the best?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sean

PS, before anyone gets any ideas, the Viper parts business is not "that" good. I just have good credit and am a certifiable car nut :)

I apologize for digging up this old thread from 05 but I found it interesting to read some of the replies.

I would love to hear the answers to the same question but in todays economy. It seems to me the the newer Ferrari's and Gallardo's seem to drop about 10k a year in depreciation and the days of buying one new and selling for a profit seem to be long gone. If I had to answer this question today the only cars that come to mind are the Ford GT (who knew) and maybe the Porsche 993. What is your thoughts?

Sean, did you ever end up buying an exotic? If so how was your experience?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching the Ford GTs and truly, they haven't depreciated a cent over sticker. True that many of them went for above sticker for the gotta-have-it folks, but something that listed for 165 still sells for 160-165 unless it has been wrecked or has a ton of miles. Dammit ;-)

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In today's economy there will be very few cars that get launched and not drop in value (some will go up eventually). Pretty much only the super limited editions will be holding their purchase value (if not more) I think.

Lamborghini Veneno, AM 177, LaFerrari, Porsche 918.

Jeffsss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm really surprised GT40's havent been brought up..

I'd have one of those over my viper if my pockets were deep enough. they will only continue to go up!!

EDIT... never mind.. it was.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been watching the Ford GTs and truly, they haven't depreciated a cent over sticker. True that many of them went for above sticker for the gotta-have-it folks, but something that listed for 165 still sells for 160-165 unless it has been wrecked or has a ton of miles. Dammit ;-)

Ford GT is one of the only cars I would get rid of my Viper for. Unfortunately or fortunately if you are an owner, they are going for around 200k now. Even cars with a salvage title are getting good money. Prices are insane. I don't think they can keep up the way they are going but you never know.

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ford GT would be nice. A well built GT40 replica would also be great, but they're also rather expensive, not to mention too small to fit taller folks.
H1 Alphas also seem to hold their values very well, if you've got $150k to spend.