Over heating due to broken hose

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My car was running warm (yellow area) when idling or moving slow in traffic. I had it serviced at Field's Dodge near Chicago this past week. Cooling system flush, oil change, lube suspension components and added some broken minor trim pieces. Here is the problem. After driving the car back home 150 miles, the thermostat housing hose ruptured and blew coolant everywhere. White smoke and hot. Now after having the car towed 150 miles back to Field's, they are telling me that the hose just snapped in half due to age. The hose was 4 years old since it had been replaced when I had the cooling system replaced by another Viper Tech (who at the time of flushing caused the heater core to begin leaking $600.00 repair). Now Fields is telling me that I need to replace both termostat hoses at $160.00 each! After reviewing my records, I had the hoses replaced for $13.00 and $22.00 3.5 years ago and 10,000 miles. They are trying to tell me that the hoses are 14 years old!

Well the hose is snapped right in half for sure. They sent pics. I ordered the Roe 5 pc hose kit with bleeder for $320 and had it overnighted to Fields. Much better quality and cheaper! Now Fields is suggesting that I replace the thermostat at a cost of $560.00. Fortunately, I had a 180 degree installed a few years back. No need to change now.

My question is has anyone had the thermostat hose just snap in half? This seems too coincidental just after having the cooling system serviced. I wondering if there is anything which could have been installed improperly which could have caused the hose to rub and be cut in half? Also, now the hose replacement and towing is another $1100.

$13.00 per quart of coolant it took 2 quarts.
$12.00 per quart of oil for 10 quarts of oil $120.00 and $6.00 for a filter?
$54.00 to lubricate the Chasis and ball joints (what gets lubed here?)

Am I getting ripped off somehow here? Any replies would be helpful. See pic below
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2756919450032291343ZjvqeL

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
find another dealer FAST . call tator for prices on parts

install daves big brakes- 170 deg thermostat for a lot less than that

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Holy Frack. Tell them to slap on a new hose and get out of there. There's no way the thermostat housing broke. What does the hose have to do with the housing? I bet the hose just popped off and the're trying to make a killing on Viper tax.

P.S. Go get AAA premium membership for $75 a year, towing is free for 100 miles per incident and you get up to 5 tows. At $3 per mile, that would have saved you $300 plus hookup cost.

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Hi, Ivory...long time, no see.

I agree with above...they are ducking the issue of hose damage that, IN MY OPINION, they LIKELY caused trying to remove the old hose for the purpose of venting air at a "high point" in your year of Viper. That hose can be a BEAR to remove...and inspite of proper hose-removal tools, I still had to cut one of those off of one of our Gen I's. I'd ask them to reconsider their position.

OP
OP
I

Ivory

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update on the overheating issue due to the mysteriously ruptured thermostat hose with Field's Dodge in Chicago.

Charges for repair in addition to the initial cooling system service of $140.00.

Diagnostics Time
Coolant 2 containers for $32.00 @ 16.00 per unit
5pc hose installation and burping

$309.00 additional charge
$371.00 Roe hose kit over night expess (my choice)

Flatbed sent from Chicago to to tow the vehicle from Madison Wisconsin to Chicago (300 miles round trip) $500.00 ==> no charge.

Is this a fair deal considering the dealer absorbed the towing but not the parts and labor. They wanted $150.00 for the hose alone. Chuck Tator validated the price of the hoses but recommend I either go with the Roe kit or a customized OEM hose.

Thoughts. Should I pursue a letter to the dealership owner/manager etc. Or lick my wounds and be thankful they did not charge the $500+ for a tow?

Comments.

Hi Steve/Indy... How are you these days?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang