over heating????

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a 2001 RT and i noticed my temp rising unusually, I figured this was the water pump issue but the usual symptoms did not apply. Whats happening is that under normal driving the temp is at 190, and under hard acceleration it is above 190, but between the hash marks. The PROBLEM occurs at Idle, when the temp goes half way between the last large hash mark and the next little hash. Would a faulty water pump cause the engine to overheat only at idle? Im thinkin that the cooling system may just need to be flushed and the fluids changed, since it has been about 2 1/2 years, but does this sound like a water pump issue? I took it to the dealer and he said he ruled out the water pump, however im still a litte nervous.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Every year I have Chuck flush the system. It may be time for the coolant to be changed. It might have lost its properties.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont hear the fan running when it gets that hot, but if it were the water pump it would be hot all the time right? not just at idle?

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally, i believe so too since i took delivery back in october 2001, and havent had the fluids changed yet. I really hope its just a coolant issue.

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mahesh, what was the ambient temp when this occurred?

FYI, my factory service manual shows diagrams of how what you describe is completely normal...However, if as most owners, you know the exact behaviour
of your guauges, and what you describe is a definite diversion from normal, I would
concur you have a problem that nees looking into...

However, lets call the thick hash mark to the right of 190 to be 205 degrees, and the next small tick mark to be 225 degrees...I may be off a little, but this is close to the best of my recollection...

I was told the fan comes on around 218...So if it is hot out, when you are stopped (no airflow) the temp will rise (affected by ambient temp, AC on, etc) until the fan comes on and it brings the temp back down to 190, or very close and as you start moving, temp should stay down...

This is what I see on my car.

good luck
Tomer

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Old coolant is bad for the car but I don't think you are going to find that this is caused because the coolant has "lost its properties".

I guess you have burped it so the next thing would be to park it in your driveway, let it warm up and see if the fan ever comes on.

It could be the water pump but if it were the water pump, the fan would still come on as soon as it reached the turn on temperature. It would cool down and then the fan would turn off, then repeat the cycle.

There is a relay that turns on the fan. You might try turning on the AC. The fan should probably come on. If it does, then you know it isn't the relay.

The thermostat could cause this too.

OP
OP
M

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the ambient temp was about 60 degrees farenheit. I really doubt its the water pump because it wouldnt be cooling down under speed and only overheating at idle. I would see heat at more than just idle. I cannot say that i remember hearing the fan kick in as the temp was getting way on up to 225 and yet the car had to get to speed for the temp to cool down. When i get a chance i will check the fan relay with the A/C, but im worried that this heating problem will affect my gaskets if the extreme temp is prolonged.

Joe- are the most probable causes the fan relay and the thermostat?

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would do a quick check to ensure the fan is coming on (simple procedure, let the car warm up in your driveway)...If temp gets close to the 225 "tick" and the fan
has not come on, you should shut the car off...This won't damage gaskets, but fan operation is obviously critical to the system...

Also, I would follow the procedure to "burp" the system, and check the levels in the purge tank and overflow tank...

Tomer

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First checks for air in system is opening the tank with radiator cap and seeing if it is full or empty.

Then checking the tank in front facia through donut hole in front passenger wheelwell.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are things? Is it fixed yet?

Mahesh, have not spoken to you in a while. How are things? Going to any events soon? You should attend our Winery event on April 24th or Tators on May 1st.

Talk to you soon

Keith

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960