Pain in the Dash....installing the Kenwood 514

Robgen1

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thought I would pass this along in case someone decides to do a deck upgrade. I had a crappy Sony Explode that the previous owner installed and it had serious problems, so I rolled up the sleeves, yanked the deck and the frustration began.:mad:

I decided to install a Kenwood 514 motorized DVD/Nav/Ipod blah blah blah deck, the manual is like a novel it has more features than I will ever use. I post this so some of my errors may help on your install (keeping you from repeating), I am a hack and by no means a pro but the deck sounds decent and more upgrades are in the future.

Problem number one, even though I measured the depth and Crutchfield said it would fit, this metal bracket that secures the stock radio caused me serious grief. Instead of just cutting it out and leaving a sharp edge I decided to pull the two bolts out that hold this in place, unfortunatly the bolts are a pain to get to. It probably would have made it but there is 6 extra rca jacks I did not use, a USB port, Sattelite hook ups, back up camera etc,
You must be registered for see images attach

To get to the massive bundle behind the deck and get the wires in place I had to pull the heater controls, to get the metal bracket out (it is pinched between dash and sub structures) I had to pull most of the dash

After commiting to pull the bracket and gain access to route the wires the install was a success, I bought the Haynes Extreame audio manual which was very detailed and this was my first attempt at an install. Local shop wanted $200.00 bones to install as did Best Buy.

Finished in time to take to Quad City Cruisers car show, where I saw another Viper! Dont know who it is didn't get a chance to talk to owner, Iowa plates...Anyone know? It was a very nice gen 1 with hard top and slider windows.

Any my girl

ViperCollector

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I thought for sure it would be raining over there, so didn't make it this time! Glad to see a couple Vipers there - usually I'm the only one!

The black is probably Harry Tuttle's, he has a 94 RT/10 and that one looks like his. Drop me a PM with your email addy. A couple of us have been working on a QC list of owners and would like to add you to the email list. Are you a new owner?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you got balls taking that dash apart and tackling this...good for you.

thanx for the tips too