Painting vs. Powder Coating

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of "ten spokes" from an 03'-06' and I think they will look really cool all high gloss black. For the most part I plan on using them for track days with some sticky rubber, maybe occaisonally on the street. My question is, which is better for my application, painting them or powder coating?

Reaction score
Paint will not last long at all and you will be redoing them often. Bite the bullet and have them powder coated in any flavor you wish! :2tu:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a set of "ten spokes" from an 03'-06' and I think they will look really cool all high gloss black. For the most part I plan on using them for track days with some sticky rubber, maybe occaisonally on the street. My question is, which is better for my application, painting them or powder coating?

Just something to consider: My understanding is that neither is the optimum idea for track wheels. You want to be able to see any cracks that might form. No finish, or a very thin finish would be preferred. Having said that, I haven't heard of any cracking issues for those wheels; so, for a durable finish, powdercoating is definitely the preferred choice

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just something to consider: My understanding is that neither is the optimum idea for track wheels. You want to be able to see any cracks that might form. No finish, or a very thin finish would be preferred. Having said that, I haven't heard of any cracking issues for those wheels; so, for a durable finish, powdercoating is definitely the preferred choice

Great points. Plus, all coatings will add weight. :crazy2:

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
all coatings will add weight. :crazy2:

Weight reduction is an important consideration when choosing track wheels; but, if the coating is applied while the wheels are being spun fast enough in a counterclockwise fashion, the performance degradation caused by the added weight is equally offset by the benefit of the pre-induced spin bias. :dunno:

sleeplezz_swe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Powder Coating is much stronger for stone chips etc, but the finish is not as nice as a wet paint, I use power coating for my wheels but I always get a clear top coat, that way you get nice shiny wheels.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang