Passenger window not going down

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey, yesterday i tried to put the passenger window down, and it goes down about half an inch than stops. More of a something in the way type clunk, and not really a window motor not working. I took the panel off and everything seems normal. I felt the plastic part that goes up and down the track thinking it might be broken and it seems (and if that part is broken wouldnt it be the opposite as it would be permanently down instead of up) The panel is still off, and does anyone have suggestions. During the winter months I adjusted the door to close better (but not perfect). I assume I would have rolled down the window since then (ive had the viper out for about a month), but just checking is there any chance that adjusting the door/hinges would make it that the window wouldn't go down?

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You might have a broken wire in the loom where the wires run between the main car body and the door. Open the door fully, slide back the rubber gaiter and check for broken wires in the loom. It also might be that the contact in the switch requires cleaning?

You could try plugging the window connector plug into the other switch to test weather it makes a difference? Pull the centre panel from the console and swap plugs to the switches ;)

kratedisease

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, a common problem as told to me by Chuck Tator the Viper Wizard,.... the Wiring harness in the door jamb can get frayed and brake with time, over the years. I had similar problem on my 1997 gts and it was the wire harness traveling from the door to kick panel..... bending the wire harness from opening the door can cause the wires to fray occur over many years

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems to me that if the wire were broken in the door loom that there would be no movement in the window at all. The OP said it would move down about 1/2" and then stop. If there were no power, it shouldn't move at all? Maybe a roller jamming in the window guide? On my GTS the other day, I rolled the pass window up with the door open and thought the window was going to pop completely out of the door. I took it all apart and found that the metal piece that is epoxied to the rear of the window with the roller on it had separated from the window. I epoxied it back in place and all is good now.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ya I am wondering if there is even a possibility of it being the wires/cable considering it does move a tad...not trying to sound like I know what i'm talking about but more of a thought for me. It does clunk like it is stopped by something...I just have no idea where to look because I have felt around in there and it seems normal to me. I am stumped

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does the window go back up? can you work the windows up and down constantly (up to the point it stops)? How far does it go down before stopping? If it was a door adjustment issues, the windows should go down all the way with the door open, does it?

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes the window goes up to the proper spot. It will only go down about half and inch until stopping. odd for sure. I will take a picture of the interior of the door and see if anyhting looks out of the oridinary

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does it stop at random spots going down or does it stop at the exact same spot every time.

OP
OP
D

Darth Menace

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and I just went and checked and even with the door open it doesn't go down. Sort of like it is hitting something/being blocked by something. perhaps something is too tight?

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like its binding somewhere. Check out the regulator / tracks / motor real good!!!