Paxton Superchargers

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay all you Paxton owners how about posting about how your installation went/is going, driving impression, dyno runs, track results, and add on (such as gauges, etc). I know many of you are just dying to let the rest of know how they are.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
You mean you forgot to check off the Paxton box when placing your SRT-10 order? ;)
A SuperCharged Viper with 750+hp practically guarantees more smiles per mile--you know that!

Hope that works for a quick driving impression. :2tu:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roe does not offer a Gen III supercharger to my knowledge.

Reaction score
Please forgive STUGOTS....this is what happens when a GEN II guy wanders in here. :) Just giving him a hard time!!

I was under the impression there weren't that many Paxtons on SRT's yet. Are you planning something top secret Cris??? :) Oh, there was the DLM one that he was selling....forgot about that!!!

ledfoot

Viper Owner
Reaction score
How much maintainance is required with a SC?

SnakeEye,does your car (SC,3.55's )feel like a ride at Disneyland ?.....

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is my present status. Fuel system not yet installed, PCV and gauges also not installed. But it is getting there. I took the past 2 weeks off due to work and some damn cold weather (garage can be heated but when it is 0 outside it is too much to get it comfortable).

Many trials and tribulations so far in the installation. It has not been clockwork!

498100_0723-med.JPG

Bigger pics in my gallery.

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ledfoot, yeah...the combo plain rocks.

-----

Ron, great pic your install looks to be coming along good!

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Oh goodness. Tell us more. I am assuming that you guys are replacing the rear rubber with any upgrades? My run-flats don't bite as it is. Of course, it is like 12 degrees here.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I plan to put some sort of 20's on the back with the PS2 tires. Unfortunately I think that's the best option.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The runflats may become an issue. But in the warm they are okay. The Paxton kit states that the supercharger should not be used under 40 degrees. So the condition you indicate is out of the question.

Like to hear about others experiences like:
- Missing parts in the installation kit
- Where split-second unit got mounted
- Any difficult installations
- etc.

As you may have guessed I have hit a few snags. First I did not receive all the correct parts. I contacted the place I purchased it and they were not helpful. Lots of help before buying but minimal help thereafter. I shot pictures of all the parts as I unpackaged them so there is no question in my mind about missing and/or wrong parts. To date I had the wrong oil pan fittings (purchased correct ones at a hardware store), incorrect vacuum line fittings (I purchased plastic ones at a car part store but am uncomfortable with that solution) and missing PCV hose and connections (no replacement yet made). All I have left is the fuel system so I think that will be all the missing parts.

I have also encountered packaging problems. I found that the air cleaner was too large to fit between the charge cooler and the radiator. I redrilled new mounting points but it still required lots of pushing to get it to fit.

The air cleaner element just does not seem to be air tight along its perimeter. I have not fully investigated this but it is not comforting. The air cleaner housing is not fitting for a $8,000 kit.

But, on the other hand, most of the hardware is top notch and looks great on the car. I ran the car at idle for about an hour to check the oil system integrity (while washing the car for winter hibernation) and it sounded good at idle. A faint whistle sound when in front of the car but not too much inside the car. No belt or pulley interferences but darn things are close. I dread the time for a belt installation as it is probably a full weekend installation :(

I do look forward to finishing the installation and getting a dyno test. That will wait until spring though as it is not Viper weather here.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please forgive STUGOTS....this is what happens when a GEN II guy wanders in here. :) Just giving him a hard time!!

I was under the impression there weren't that many Paxtons on SRT's yet. Are you planning something top secret Cris??? :) Oh, there was the DLM one that he was selling....forgot about that!!!

my bad I honestly thought he had finished it. Sorry gonna bring my 450hp a$$ back to the gen 2 part of the board.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are actually a fair number of Paxton installs out there. I am VERY surprised by the "don't operate under 40º", as that could rule out quite a few of us that might take the car out on an otherwise sunny day. I wonder if that is more of a warning for traction or if the charger itself could pose a problem with colder intake temperatures. Hmmm...

I would also love this upgrade, but only worry about traction. I have had the pleasure of driving another DLM beast and traction was a challenge even without runcraps (regular Pilots). That is my only concern - that and no cash (forgot that very important part). ;)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are actually a fair number of Paxton installs out there. I am VERY surprised by the "don't operate under 40º", as that could rule out quite a few of us that might take the car out on an otherwise sunny day. I wonder if that is more of a warning for traction or if the charger itself could pose a problem with colder intake temperatures. Hmmm...

The manual specifically states that clearances in the supercharger are the reason for non-use below 40 degrees. My garage is never below 40 so that would not be an issue for the normal fall/spring drive. But it would prevent stopping for extended periods.

Has anyone with the Paxton kit started their car below 40 degrees?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris.
Love my Paxton. The installation is so clean. It was not what I would consider a do it yourself, so I had Dan Cragin at DC performance do all the fitting. Dropped it off, and picked it up a few days later.

No gauges, as I get very focused on the road when I am under boost. At first it was intimidating, but I'm getting more used to the power now. Snap throttle will break loose the tires. Best success is rolling on the throttle, and shifting when the tires break loose.

In warm weather the power is lowered, and the tires stick well. In colder weather the power is greater, and the traction is lessened.
Maintenance is mostly more frequent oil changes. (3,000 mi.)

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey Tony I'll chime in; I put down 665rwhp with the Paxton, not sure of Paul's numbers. Most seem to be around 630-675rwhp, super fine hp gains for sure. The Track system did seem to help things a bit over the range too and the sound is freakin' awesome. Also, can't say enough about changing the diff to 3.55' as it sure makes a world a difference for the good.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys keeping the stock cats? It seems like they'd be too restrictive for a high horsepower blower car. I want to take them out, but I don't want it to be unbearably loud. I'm thinking of doing heads, cam, rockers, forged pistons, fuel system, etc. in the next couple of months. Should be able to throw down 900 at the wheels with all that and a little more boost.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My system also had one bag of connectors that were incorrect for the kit. A quick trip to the autoparts store and the install continued. I have started my car in some fairly cold weather (below 40, but but only by a degree or two) and have had no issues. The best word to describe the power is violent. The tires have real problems putting it down in the cold weather, though. Looking forward to warmer days in the short term and a better tire alternative in the long run.

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a Paxton added to my '04 SRT-10 a few months back. I believe it was his third installation. Before that, DC Performance had changed the rear end to 3.55, added the Corsa Track exhaust, and a lightweight flywheel. After the blower, the hp increased from 436 rwhp to 651 rwhp. I have had no problems except for the horn that was not connected correctly and has only a wimpy "beep". I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. My experience is similar to the other listings. The installation was smooth and took only about 5 working days. The performance is awesome...maybe a bit too awesome. You have to really be light on the throttle in first and second gear. A car with traction control would probably blow right by you. You would probably catch up in 3rd or 4th. I am not sure I would agree some of the others about the 3.55 gears. If I had done the Paxton first, I might not have felt compelled to change the gear. It does make the car very pleasant to drive around town. I have put about 1000 miles on the car since the Paxton, including through some nasty rain storms. Very fun. My wife loves driving it too. :eek:

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a Paxton added to my '04 SRT-10 a few months back. I believe it was his third installation. Before that, DC Performance had changed the rear end to 3.55, added the Corsa Track exhaust, and a lightweight flywheel. After the blower, the hp increased from 436 rwhp to 651 rwhp. I have had no problems except for the horn that was not connected correctly and has only a wimpy "beep". I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. My experience is similar to the other listings. The installation was smooth and took only about 5 working days. The performance is awesome...maybe a bit too awesome. You have to really be light on the throttle in first and second gear. A car with traction control would probably blow right by you. You would probably catch up in 3rd or 4th. I am not sure I would agree some of the others about the 3.55 gears. If I had done the Paxton first, I might not have felt compelled to change the gear. It does make the car very pleasant to drive around town. I have put about 1000 miles on the car since the Paxton, including through some nasty rain storms. Very fun. My wife loves driving it too. :eek:

does that L88 camaro you have have the same L88 engine that was in the vettes, 600hp?

VPRTKMIKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have done a few 04 installs with gears and corsa track system and easily getting 650rwhp. the systems i have received from paxton have always had all the parts there(nothing missing).AND they have always given great tech support if needed.

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The L88 Camaro had 12.5 to one compression, aluminum high rise with a 850 cfm single Holley 4bbl. It was rated at 430 hp but probably put out closer to 550 hp.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Darel.
Dan Cragin, at DC performance, has developed a remounting kit to put the horn in a position where it is loud again. There are lots of little tricks that experienced tuners do to make the kit bulletproof. The Paxton is a very enjoyable mod that makes the car hugely powerful.

DB/Paxton SRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Paul: Dan said that he uses the mounting bracket from the Gen II Paxton kit for the horn and voila'--beep beep again.

Franko: Regarding wheel hop, I had some problems with this before the kit. After discussing it with Dan, he suggested lowering the pressure in the rear tires by 2-3 psi. It does seem to help. Now they just spin uncontrollably.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you guys experiencing violent wheel hop when your spinning uncontrollably? :)

Didn't have wheel hop prior to the blower install - have it now if I jump on the throttle and don't get off quick enough once the rear end steps out. Bottom line, as long as I don't drive like an idiot, it doesn't hop.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I encounter violent wheel hop without a power adder. The power adder just allows you to spin the tires more. Just need to modulate the speed you spin the tires (but darn hard to do).