Paxton Update, 45 systems now installed!

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We just completed our 45th Paxton SRT install and am quite happy with the continuing results. We have several customers with 25,000 plus miles without any issues. e have learned quite a bit and have made the system even better with custom tuning and hardware upgrades.

We offer several levels of performance and preparation depending on vehicle use
and your budget. We specialize in supercharger specific engine preparation and tuning.

For questions regarding SRT SC systems or performance preparation, feel free to call us.

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
good to hear.

what kind of hardware upgrades ???

what typical RWHP numbers can be expected from the basic kit on a basically stock GEN2 ?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was one of Dan's earlier customers on my 03. The Paxton system has been flawless. Easy as a unmodified car driving around casually, but given a few revs the power pours on progressively.

Think my Dyno was 690 rwhp with Corsa track exhaust.
Only change was going back to stock 3:07's as the 3:54's, while great fun, did not allow the car to pull long enough between shifting.

Had the car back in once for oil change, rear gear, and air filter cleaning.

I am still amazed that an 800 hp car can be so easy to drive in daily use.

I understand some of the Dealerships are offering this Paxton option on new and used cars they sell. Woodhouse has put out a bunch of them.

It is great fun to watch the reaction from bikes when you pull them hard. They can't believe a car can pull that strong.

Thanks Dan for renewing the smile on my face. Viper is now HyperViper.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had some issues with my Paxton SRT Ram and Dan has more then helpful with some questions that I've had. Its even better that although I'm not one of his customers quite yet he's taken time out of his schedule to answer some e-mails that I've sent him. Thanks Dan!!

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you clarify what the upgrades include and if they are available for cars with a Paxton already installed (whether by DC or other installer)?

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think my Dyno was 690 rwhp with Corsa track exhaust.
Only change was going back to stock 3:07's as the 3:54's, while great fun, did not allow the car to pull long enough between shifting.

Wow, really? All else is stock, other then the Paxton kit and the Corsa Cat back ? 3 inch corsa track?

Jon

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some dyno numbers do appear unrealistic. Simple thing is an engine dyno with Paxton nets 700 flywheel hp with optimized fuel and spark. Lower backpressure exhaust may help some but claims of high 600 range RWHP are just not rational. And driveline loss (in the 50-60 hp range) is not going to go down.

two06vipers

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cris. Explain this to me.... why thats "not rational" to hit higher 600rwhp #s....

My 96 mustang 2v with a single t76 turbo just hit high 600rwhp #'s and its a 8cyl. 2v mustang.... granit i have a built motor etc....

These vipers should easily be in the mid 600's with some good boost, good tuning, and exhaust upgrades.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I said HIGH 600 RWHP. Is 600 in the high 600's to you?

650 would be about the highest without other modifications. Another 10 or 15 with freer exhaust. Beyond that you are starting to break the laws of physics.

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the engine on an engine dyno only produces 700, how can it make 650 easy when the hp loss on a stock engine is more than 50 between crankshaft and wheels (510 crank versus 445 or so RWHP)? You think the driveline gets more efficient with more power?

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note I believe engine dynos much more than chassis dynos, especially the dynojet inertial dynos.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes.
SRT is stock except for Corsa track exhaust. If someone can post it for me, I can take a picure of the Dyno Sheet.
The original dyno was with the earlier 3:55's. Car was scarey fast. I changed back to 3:07's to allow the car to pull a little longer between shifts.

These Paxton Vipers are very RPM sensitive. At low RPM's they drive just like a stock Viper that is running really well. Once you get above 3,000rpm the power comes on with a rush.

Maybe Paxton should have a special corral at the VOI.

Dave T (BADVENM)

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished putting back together my '04 SRT Ram. The motor was taken out of Kevins (Underground Racing) '03 Viper. Mods include Paxton, Belanger headers, no cats, 4 mufflers, lightweight flywheel and Centerforce clutch. On a Mustang dyno that Woodhouse commonly uses I got 535 rwhp and 535 rwtq. This equates roughly to 668/678 at the crank. Prior to my motor blowing it reached 554 rwhp and 554 rwtq. The numbers are within 5% or so of eachother so they seem comparable which they should.

My boost numbers only reached 6.5 psi so I have either a leak or a very free flowing exhaust. On my prior motor the boost was just a bit less...mostly from airleaks and poor workmanship from the tuner who installed it.

I talked to Dan at DC about my numbers and he felt they were representative of his personal experiences with the Rams. Why the Viper numbers are higher I dont know. I'd be interested in those who dynoed their SRT Vipers through Woodhouse on the same Mustang dyno to show their numbers. It would kind of be comparing apples to apples.

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dan installed the Paxton on my SRT along with Corsa Track, Random Tech Cats, aluminum flywheel, KW suspension on the first phase of my mods and it produced 692 RWHP on his dyno.

He currently has the car and is installing 12# pulley, FJO Water/Methanol, Racelogic w/all the goodies, Quaife, Light weight Unitrax half shafts, World challenge two piece rotors w/ st.st. brake lines. Cosmetic changes Dan is arranging for include: Aero Venom front fascia, rear diffuser and Autoform hood.

In my 40+ years of "gearhead" I have never received the quality of service for a "project" as I have from Dan and the crew at DC Performance. Along with the products and advice from JonB at Partsrack, my introduction to Viper has been an outstanding success with "zero dollars" misspent on "I shoulda done this first or this...."

If Dan Cragin tells you something, you can take it to the bank! Other than installing a short shifter, speakers and RB-1 with Sirius myself(big deal for me), Dan has done all the work on my Viper including service and warrantee that he arranges with the help of another great sponsor. Viper life is good. :2tu:

Larry

Cris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the Mustang dyno did you do steady state points or a relatively fast sweep?

If you did a fast sweep those huge diameter wheels and tires will reduce the measured power as they are absorbing it (like a flywheel).

rleminv

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cris, I'm not sure if your last comments were directed at me or not. If they were, I don't know since I wasn't there during the dyno. However, I do have a complete set of baseline and after dyno sheets that if I knew how to I could post for you. As far as the info they represent, I'm sure you could interpret it better than I, after all I just look for the biggest numbers!!! :cool:
Larry

OP
OP
D

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments and questions. Larry and Paul,
you are both great customers and we enjoy building personalized Vipers for you! Its what we do.

Here are some answers to your questions:

Typical rear wheel hp on the base kit is 630-650rwhp with some heat soak.

Our stage 1 upgrades include an new idler pulley stand off, 170 thermostat, billet crankcase valve, additional nylon clamps,factory PCM tuning, FMU disc change and exhaust.

Stage 2 upgrades include high flow cats (where legal), water methanol injection and timing controller tuning.

Stage 3 includes, a supercharger specific engine, boost options (up to 15psi) and a new fuel system.

Our computer flash and hardware upgrades are available for you to install.

We also offer drivelineand suspension options to complement the power increase.

Thanks,

Dan Cragin
DC Performance Inc
310-841-6996

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think its great that DC has done alot of kits! :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

Take it from a guy that has had nos/propane ,paxton blower and now Twins, (all on the same car) The best bang for the buck is the paxton blower.

FyI I have seen 750 rwhp on a stock kit (one guy wanted to go crazy and told the tuner he didn't care about blowing the car so they tuned it mean and lean)

vd..

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If and when I can shake some more lunch money out of wifey, Paxton would be the only way to go, since its CARB certified.