PCM Programming now available!!! L@@K!!

James Bell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it was Craig that I talked to at Jetchip earlier today. I also talked to another tech last week that said the same thing, but asked me to call back later for someone more experienced in Vipers.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason,how does this reprogram compare to an AEM unit on a NA car with no internal mods.Headers,no cats,cat back corsa.What is the limiting factor in using the stock reprogramed pcm as far as HP?If injectors are changed with fuel supply to keep up with head/manifold/cam work does the stock pcm run out of range? Bruce

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't compare to an AEM unit since I have never put my hands on one. However, the AEM unit and the Motec are closer relatives than the JTEC is to either. I have yet to work on a bigger injector car with the JTEC only, however, we will be working on that in the future. At that point I will find the limits (or lack thereof) on the stock PCM. Thanks!

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason:

Have you guys done a car with the Paxton SC yet?? Holding to 91 octane(streetable), what do you think the re-burn will do.....I still have stock manifolds with 3" hi-flows and cat-back.

Thanks.......Ted

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
TedK - Have not done a PCM mod on a paxton yet. (every paxton we install the customer wants the car back sooo bad that they say, "Will bring it back some other time....") The splitsec programming on the Paxton kit works well but I know I could maximize the power given the time to play... The last one we did on a totally stock 01 was laying down a clean 570RWHP on 91 octane.

Dyno Day this weekend was exhausting and great fun. Here is the un-official score board photo...
High Score of the weekend was David Andrews (SunDiego) with our NX450 install and it put down 750+/1000+ on multiple runs. (we need a bigger dyno to see the actual torque at the wheels but I am thinking it is about 1100 right now based on the arc)

You must be registered for see images

Bugeater

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOLOLOL! Boy those "Venom 600 and 550s" are really pushing out some crazy HP numbers! What a crook.

You have any more before/after PCM tune numbers? Those are the ones I am interested in.

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bugeater - I will post some more PCM tuning sheets shortly. We completed two more today and have another two staged for their turn.

The Venom cars dyno'd are both running lean so I am going to tune one of them early next week with more fuel. I am expecting power gains and will post the results with the owners approval.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are these corrected numbers and on the "stock" cars was just your "basic" PCM reprogram done?

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dynojet software always uses SAE corrected numbers. Elevation, humidity and barometric pressure are all calculated to make numbers from all regions the same.

'stock' cars were based on loose terms for the dyno day. For example, one 'stock' car may have had a cat back system, while another had smoothies, and yet another would be bone stock. If the car had headers or more than the mods were listed. This was not a controlled enviorment so some cars were dyno'd hot and other cars had plenty of time to cool off in the parking lot while waiting there turn. Just a fun day for all that attended. Good people, GREAT cars, good food (but not enough), and good fun.

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a chart showing 'Mike' who was at our dyno days. (see above message that shows the days numbers) His beast is a 99 RT and has headers, exhaust, gears, etc. Anyhow, from the dyno sheet here you can see the gains that we made on his car after re-programming the PCM to take advantage of his particular mods. The 420HP pull is the higher of his two from dyno days and the other is what it made after dyno-tuning it on our dyno. Hope everyone is having a great Holiday.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
91 Octane is the fuel that was tuned for. We have tried programming for higher octane on our shop car with mixed results. One of these days I will do a 'scientific' test in regards to octane and the spark map. We are lucky enough to have a fuel depot across the street that sells all types of race fuel. Just an issue of time though.....

JetChip update: I never got an email back so I just kept calling trying to get an update about Gen2 PCM's. Finally I spoke with a real tech there. They apparently CAN program the JTEC. However, they do clearly state that only fuel and spark can be modified and only within a certain parameter base that they have. Anyone want to try and let me know how it works? Things that make you go hmmmm......

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It makes sense to tune for 91 octane in california.That's all you guys have out there right? All the premium in my area is 93 except for sunocco which is 94.I would hope that a tune for 93 would bring up a little more advance and a couple of more ponies.I don't use the sunocco because its 10% ethanol.I use mobil/exxon 93. Bruce

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
91 octane is the 'NORM' out here in the Republic of California. 93 octane would allow slightly more spark advance without detonation worries, which like you say, is a couple more ponies. If only the whole country would switch to 100 octane super....

;)

sanco-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jason, I was at your dyno day and was the 3rd car after Mike. I also have a '99 (gts) with the same mods only smaller headers. 416/460. Mike was talking to you about going with roller rockers and the pcm change. Are the numbers above with the rockers also or just the pcm change? If it's just the pcm change, how much more hp/tq gain could be expected with the new rockers? Thanks, Steve

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 1.7 rockers netted the norm on the stock PCM. (about 13 RWHP) But what I really wanted to do on Mikes car, I did not have time to. That would be to dyno tune and THEN do the rockers. But due to time constraints I had to have Dan put the rockers on first, then I got to work on the PCM. Otherwise, I would have had to reprogram the PCM twice. One thing is for sure, as I do more and more of these, I am really starting to see a trend. It seems the more air the motor is modified to pump, the more the PCM mod nets in RWHP and RWTQ. Not just obvious gains, but more of a richter (sp?) scale. "Ol'blue" , the shop test mule has cleared the 570 mark now still with stock compression. This is with our race step headers, headwork, rockers, throttle bodies, return fuel system, air box mod, PCM, stock cam, etc.(putting a stock PCM program back in this car puts it back down at 525)

Geared cars (3.45's / 3.55's etc.) are also showing consistently lower numbers than cars with stock gearing. I don't fully understand why, but I am still looking into it. I will do a rear end swap on the same car sometime soon (read: a weekend where the little lady is working so I have time) to verify this phenomenon and try to apply an equation to it.

But first, the next 'in-house' experiment will be with our long awaited intake manifold on the car making 570 now. We have made multiple runner length and plenum volume mods on our manifold and are confident this next run will hit the 600+ mark. With any luck, the manifold will be ready to be released to the foundry for pre-production by Q2 2004. Only a matter of time from then as to when a cast aluminum version will be shipping. :headbang:

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jason is being modest. He headed a publicly traded computer company. He has reprogrammed motor sport computers since they first came out. On my car he set up the 1st N/X Maximizer system for a Viper that could adjust based on RPM, creating a nitrous system that isn't an on/off switch. With N/X's blessing and collaboration, the first N/X 450 HP shot on a Viper was put on my car with Jason's skill. My car is on the dyno getting the flash as I write. This isn't an upgrade your average mechanic can do.
Disclaimer: Not an employee of Westcoast. Paying full retail for all work etc. Happy customer

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a great thread and I've been following it for a while. One question, Jason. If your background is as sun diego states, why did you have so much trouble tuning your tt setup? I don't think you were affiliated with Westcoast back then--was there some tool or data that you didn't have then to tune the JTEC?

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The first message in this thread pretty much sums up the tuning issues I had. The TT setup (or any boost setup with a piggy back regardless of tuner) has the problem with the CF's. These make tuning for optimum performance a real hit and miss that changes daily. There are two ways to deal with that. One is to settle for less than max power or the other is to replace the JTEC with something like the Motec SVS uses. The Motec is financially not an option for most people, so the first choice is all that was available. (even for my personal TT car) The JTEC 'hack' I have now is the proverbial knight in shining armour for so many of us.

S

Stang7900

Will I be able to pass emissions tests here in NY with your reprogramming?

Steve 99/RT stock

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure what the emissions testing in NY is like. The tailpipe emmissions of the car will be most affected by the efficiency (or presence) of catalytic converters. If your car has cats on it and you have a stock cam, you will pass the tailpipe test. In contrast, if you have a 'wild' cam and no cats, then you would most likely fail (regardless of our programming on your PCM). The answer is really based on a case by case examination of what mods you need/want done to your PCM. The disclaimer is of course the same as the Mopar Performance PCM was. "For off road use only"

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
More dyno results from PCM mods coming soon in regards to the cars that were at our dyno days. (see JPG of white board earlier in the thread)

As a side note I have more information regarding JETCHIP PCM mods. One of the [******] Venom 600 cars that we tested (Vince) needed a program mod as he was running very lean and not realizing the potential of his parts. However, Vince's car is a 93 which uses the dual S-spec PCM's.

Not being able to do these (I can only do the JTEC's in the 96-04 Vipers) I sent the PCM's to JETCHIP along with a dyno sheet showing the A/F and a list of mods. They assured me that they know what to do and that they can fix the lean issue. (which in Vince's case should add a good amount of RWHP)

Talk about DISGUSTED, I got the PCM's back today, installed them on Vinces car and put it on our dyno. There was NO CHANGE whatsoever. I mean NOTHING. You could super-impose Vince's pre jetchip dyno run on top of the post jetchip dyno pull, and get confused which is which. Disgusted, I called my contact at Jetchip and got nothing but voicemail. I am willing to bet that the PCM's were never modified. They returned with the stickers and all the goodies showing they were done, but I dont believe it.

I have not gotten a call back from them regarding this issue but rest assured I will find out what happened and let everyone know their excuse.

I just wonder how many people out there WANTED horsepower from a chip mod like this jetchip incident so bad that they think they got it, yet just recieved back their pcm's with a sticker and nothing else. The butt dyno can play tricks on us when we want to BELIEVE......

Just my .02 ......... :smirk:

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JetChip has asked us to send the PCM set for Vinces car back to them. We did that and expect it back in a day or so. GET THIS: The reason that they stated the car had no changes was that ".....sometimes the programming does not take the first time, we have had to flash those PCM's a couple times to make them work....." I am sure you know what I was thinking when I heard this but I will refrain from writing it since this is a family style community.

I can only wonder what happened to other PCM customers of that company who did not have access to a dyno and a wideband. Scary.

For the record, every single PCM we have flashed has 'taken' the first time. I am actually unsure what having the PCM "not take the program" means or how you would not know that. This is why checksum's were invented.

We have done a number of stock SRT's and have been finding a 12-14RWHP increase and 15RWTQ. Not enough stock ones done to be sure that will always be the same, but I have a good idea that will be the norm.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone notice the big variation in HP on the SRT's?

I can understand 5-10 hp but 30? OR was the one that pulled 450 or so not stock?

PS..
Looks like I missed a great dyno day, too bad could have come down to ******** my Vipair(Dust collector) on someones car to see the feels like 50hp gain. :)

OP
OP
W

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one that pulled 450 at dyno days has cat back and rockers on it. We got 465/500 with PCM tuning on that car. (Frank's car)

cruser

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was curious as to how many people have had good results with this and if anyone with similar mods to mine have had any dyno results. VERY interested in getting this done.

Ryan

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As the guy who has been waiting less then patiently to see what change it makes to my Venom 600 I am hoping for about 10%. That would put me over 500 hp. Jason and I will be doing some after hours dyno running, will keep you all posted. Vince

tzoid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've also been waiting very patiently, but this time Mother Nature has done the screwing! Sent my PCM to Jason the first week in January and discussed my car with him...'99 GTS, smoothies & K&N's, Heffner air box, 3"Corsa w/ RT Hi-Flo's and a 3.55 diff. Car always runs on Sunoco 94 octane. Jason and I talked about how the PCM should be set up (titan missle spec's) and about 6 days later the UPS man dropped it off. Talked to Jason that same day, thanking him for the instantaneous turn around. He's almost as anxious as I am for my report back on the performance change....buttttt, Mom Nature made a slight adjustment. That evening we got 8" of snow and temps dropped to low single digits. So I sit here, with madam palm and her 5 sisters. Now, I know you California & Florida guys are having a good laugh while us jerks live up here in the rust belt. What really hurts is your right. Anyway, as soon as decent weather arrives along with about 5" of rain to clean the salt and anti-skid (a.k.a.rocks/gravel) off the roads, I will proudly display my report card. Until then, it's the fireplace, a bottle of Kettle One and a beautifully built blond. The missle will rise again! Us Yankees will pray for an early spring, as usual.

italian1nj

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well Jason did several dyno pulls for me an the best we got was 482.06 on the hp and 508.16 on the torque. I, as with most of you guys, will continue to tinker with the beast. Have a great weekend. V

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187