jcaspar1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Photos of the new 19

Never mind. I may have answered my own question:
345/30/19 = 4.1 inch side wall = 27.1" in dia
335/30/18 = 3.95 inch side wall = 25.9 in dia
335/35/17 = 4.6 inch side wall = 26.2" in dia

Do the 19" wheels/tires really have a taller side wall than the 18" wheels? It doesn't look like it.

I agree with you about the stock 97 wheels. Stock 97 style wheels in 18" would be my dream wheel.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's exactly my predicament as well. I also like the stock 17 inchers but I want something a littler larger.

I like the fact that 19" have a little more sidewall and taller but aren't 19" tires much more expensive?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BacknBlack, I don't have the number on me at the moment. Call 411 for WEST COAST VIPER in Temecula, Ca. John is the owner over there and hooked me up. Tell him you saw Manny's car and want the same shiat he got! ;)

By the way, do you guys prefer the RT/10 (at least mine) with the top on or off? What looks best? Here are two photos to compare by:

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score

West Coast Viper is 909 676 1204
http://westcoastviper.com has the wheels for $3,000.
These guys have done 211 mph on the street, 190+ in one mile races. They can set you up safely.
Not a paid shill, just a happy customer

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score

top off looks better! i think the top on still looks great, but i dont like the way it looks from the rear. to me it looks like a hat. from the front, & side it looks great, and doesnt look drastically different from a coupe. i just dont like the way it drops off in the back, as opposed to the GTS where the glass tapers down in the hatch. just my .02

your car still looks great both ways!!

roadsters were built & meant for the top to be off...

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You live in Sun Diego. What kind of a question is top on or top off?

******* IMO!

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GTSnake, the car just looks MEAN with the top on :)

I was out doing a few things with the car yesterday and some of the neighborhood kids came up to tell me that my car was the toughest looking viper they had ever seen. I said, "You like this one better than Matt's Viper?" Matt is the guy a few houses down that has near new Gen II Grey Coupe. The kids said mine blew it away as it just looked different. Yeah, I agree with them -- Coupes on Vipers and Vettes are just so bubbly looking. That's why the Z06 (or hard top vettes) looks so much better than standard C5 coupes -- same with Vipers, IMO. The Competition Coupe Viper is the first coupe I have seen that I really, really like.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score

******* of course?!

$3k for these wheels, how does that compare with stock 17" 96-98 wheels on price?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You can pick up a set of stock 17" wheels for under a grand, easy. I don't even remember what I paid for mine, but I THINK they were like $600 for the set, and then I paid another $200 or so per wheel to have them refinished to get all the knicks and scratches out, and then had them Chromed. So in all, I was around $1,400 or so for the chromed wheels you see in my Avatar photo. I just bought a wheel to replace the one I broke at the track, and will heopfully have it chromed to match sometime this month. I'll have two sets of wheels at that point, my pretty chrome stock ones and my new polished 19" ones. Oh yeah, I still have the original 3 spoke ones too -- those any good for sticking drag radials on and taking to the drag strip?

SHADOW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The new Purner 19's look great on the RT/10's. Does Purner offer Viper logoed center caps???

riverflyer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mendocino, on the lovely North coast of California

You can pick up a set of stock 17" wheels for under a grand, easy. I don't even remember what I paid for mine, but I THINK they were like $600 for the set, and then I paid another $200 or so per wheel to have them refinished to get all the knicks and scratches out, and then had them Chromed. So in all, I was around $1,400 or so for the chromed wheels you see in my Avatar photo. I just bought a wheel to replace the one I broke at the track, and will heopfully have it chromed to match sometime this month. I'll have two sets of wheels at that point, my pretty chrome stock ones and my new polished 19" ones. Oh yeah, I still have the original 3 spoke ones too -- those any good for sticking drag radials on and taking to the drag strip?

Can you comment on the ride quality of the 19's versus stock? A friend's shop here in N. cal said the Purners, even with the extra mass ride better due to the less runout and finer quality construction. Is that your experience also?

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The purners are actually 18 pounds lighter per wheel than the stock 17" wheels, so in all, I am saving nearly 80 pounds, not figuring in rotational mass calculations. Ride quality -- I didn't drive the car enough on the stock wheels to tell if there is much of a difference. Remember, I bought the car, had problems with it, and it has been in the shop for 95% of the time I have owned it. Then I broke a stock wheel off the car at the track and it was at the shop again for a couple weeks. I now finally have it back and hopefully the only reason I need to take it back is to get it tuned for the NOS, which I have yet to use. I am sure that I will be adding a few extra pieces here and there to boost up the power, too. :)

The car dyno'd at 502 RWHP and I would really like it to be closer to the 600 RWHP range naturally aspirated, and at least 800 RWHP with the NOS hitting. I hope they can tune it with a 300 shot instead of a 200 -- that would be awesome. West Coast Viper crew are pretty good at squeezing performace out of a car.

What I REALLY need is some freakin' pads to replace on my front Brembo brakes -- they squeel like a ****, and the greens and other pads wont fit the large Caliper. Brembo said the HAWK pads would fit, so waiting on West Coast Viper to get those in so that I can finally pull up to Valet at some place nice without that spine shivering squeel (no, not the normal brake squeek - this is that super loud sound you get when you rub two pieces of metal togeter and the hairs on your arms raise up.)

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

Valet :eek: ...good luck! 18 lbs. lighter per wheel versus stock is a huge difference...are you sure?....no flame.

OP
OP
M

MannyC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

18 pounds ligher per wheel was what I was told by West Coast Viper. I didn't actually weigh the things, so I only know what I was told by the pros.

racewheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i will trow a set on the scale tomorro, i expect it will be closer to 18lbs for the set compared to a 96 model factory wheel and tire package

DEVILDOG

VCA Member North TX
Reaction score

i will trow a set on the scale tomorro, i expect it will be closer to 18lbs for the set compared to a 96 model factory wheel and tire package

Thanks....I think you're probably right. Can you do a compare to factory 18" too?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qdog