Photoshop Request: White ACR Rims

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am considering getting a second set of ACR rims for my 2008 for track use only. Are there any photoshop wizards out there--now that Austin has taken a much-needed sabbatical--that could photoshop this picture rims and make the rims white? Thanks for any help you can provide:

Viper_pic_11_29_08_037.JPG

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell me about those roll hoops
who made them
do you have to cut the interior panel
do they block ingress/egress etc, etc.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep the ones u have,they look great..white will look yukky:crazy2:

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
tell me about those roll hoops
who made them
do you have to cut the interior panel
do they block ingress/egress etc, etc.

The roll hoops are actually a full rollbar made by Autoform. The connecting cross-brace piece is hidden underneath the interior panel, which comes with the Autoform kit and replaces the stock piece. The rollbar is SCCA-compliant and will allow you to satisfy various clubs' requirements to have full rollover protection in a convertible. The rollbar is not NHRA compatible (think you need a full rollcage for that). The rollhoops do not change egress or ingress in the car. I would highly recommend the Autoform rollar to anyone considering taking their convertible to driving schools or track days. I purchased from Jon B at Parts Rack who gave me a good price. Here's some other pics of the rollbar:

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_09.JPG

Timberline_2_01_08_Near_Completion_030.JPG

CPPRHD265

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's what it looks like before installing. You get a new back panel with the right cut-outs with the roll hoops.

picture.php

picture.php

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sidewinders and not a vert but you will get the idea, put "white wheels" in the search engine and you will find the threads, the response was, ummm, mixed. Hey, if you like it do it. Remember those wheels are larger and that car is lowered so the effect will be different.

White_wheels.jpg

White_wheels_1.jpg

My personal take (as I owned the same car) is that nice reflective shine looks best on that model and color. I did a swap at the dealer for the 5 spokes and got many, many compliments. Might want to think about using the painted sidewinder blems on the track and picking up some polished 5 spokes for the street. If you like the theory I have a lot more pictures of my sold car.
IMG_0650.JPG

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep the ones u have,they look great..white will look yukky:crazy2:

Blue -- my plan is to keep the silver ACR rims w/ PS2s for the street and for wet weather track days while having the white ACR rims mounted with the 295/30/18 and 345/30/19 Pilot Sport Cups that come with the ACR.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sidewinders and not a vert but you will get the idea, put "white wheels" in the search engine and you will find the threads, the response was, ummm, mixed. Hey, if you like it do it. Remember those wheels are larger and that car is lowered so the effect will be different.

White_wheels.jpg

White_wheels_1.jpg

My personal take (as I owned the same car) is that nice reflective shine looks best on that model and color. I did a swap at the dealer for the 5 spokes and got many, many compliments. Might want to think about using the painted sidewinder blems on the track and picking up some polished 5 spokes for the street. If you like the theory I have a lot more pictures of my sold car.
IMG_0650.JPG

Lee -- Thanks for the feedback. Is the coupe with white wheels Nine Balls car? If so, that is actually the car that gave me the idea for the white rims.

My 2008 came stock with the standard 5 spokes. Beautiful rim but heavy in comparison to the Sidewinder/ACR rims. I plan on buying some "blem" black ACR rims from Jon B at Parts Rack and then powdercoating them white. Aside from the fact that I actually like the look of the white rims, the color will hopefully make cracks, fluid leaks and other problems more visible at the track.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, White rims were a fad of the 80's like black rims are today's fad. However, it's only a fad if everyone is doing it. Of course, fashion is personal preference.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMHO, White rims were a fad of the 80's like black rims are today's fad. However, it's only a fad if everyone is doing it. Of course, fashion is personal preference.

Interesting, as a child of the 80s I actually don't remember the whole white wheel thing. Most of my buddies and I were into Corvettes, Camaros, Mopars, Chevy's, Grand Nationals etc. The whole blue car with white rims look actually reminded me of the 60s when race cars often had white or body colored rims. Specifically, the look reminded me of this:

Factory_Five_Racing_Type_65_coupe_2005_f3q.jpg

PS -- This is not a real Daytona Coupe; it's actually a Factory Five made to look like some of the FIA racers from the 60s. Still, a beautiful car.

/Rich

DLTARNU

Suspended
Reaction score
White_wheels_1.jpg

This profile shot with those wheels shows just how much 'inspiration' Chevy stole from Viper when they 'updated' the looks of the Vette.

Having said that, I think the white rims with white stripes on that car look awesome. Very unique, and tasetful.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The whole blue car with white rims look actually reminded me of the 60s when race cars often had white or body colored rims. Specifically, the look reminded me of this:

Factory_Five_Racing_Type_65_coupe_2005_f3q.jpg

That certainly looks good. Maybe it works for me because of all the white in the stripes, and having the rim of the wheel still in polished aluminum.
Go for it !!!

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the white wheels will turn a nice shade of mud brown after a few laps at the track. Mine did! But, being powdercoated they were simple to clean when I was done. If you are looking for track-only wheels, polished is the most recommended finish. You will not see stress cracks under any sort of paint or chrome. I wouldn't worry about OEM or high quality wheels showing signs of cracks anyways, we aren't pushing these cars nearly as hard as a true racecar for 24 hr periods.

I have my white 19/20s shown above, will sell the wheels for $2000 plus shipping. They are already in boxes, ready to go. I sure would love to see them on a white 2009 coupe, bet it would look killer.

Tony

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Keep in mind that the white wheels will turn a nice shade of mud brown after a few laps at the track. Mine did! But, being powdercoated they were simple to clean when I was done. If you are looking for track-only wheels, polished is the most recommended finish. You will not see stress cracks under any sort of paint or chrome. I wouldn't worry about OEM or high quality wheels showing signs of cracks anyways, we aren't pushing these cars nearly as hard as a true racecar for 24 hr periods.

I have my white 19/20s shown above, will sell the wheels for $2000 plus shipping. They are already in boxes, ready to go. I sure would love to see them on a white 2009 coupe, bet it would look killer.

Tony

Guys -- thanks for the feedback. I am no expert on wheel finishes so when you say polished do you mean the finish that comes stock on most OEM SRT-10 rims (5-spokes, H-rims, Razors etc.)?

/Rich

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct, all of the shiny OEM Viper SRT wheels are polished aluminum finish with a clearcoat to make them low maintenance.

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just one other quick question: Assuming I want to go with a powdercoated finish (white or some other color) with a powdercoated clear on top is there any disadvantage to powdercoating both in terms of a street or track application (chip repair, longevity, etc)? Thanks.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
powdercoating does not need a clear coat. pc is just one layer, and it is thicker than paint. It also isn't as porous as paint, so it resists stains and chemicals better. Since it is static applied and then baked on, it is also more resistant to chips, compared with paint. It probably wouldn't be possible to put a pc clear layer on top of color anyways, it must be applied to bare metal.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
powdercoating does not need a clear coat. pc is just one layer, and it is thicker than paint. It also isn't as porous as paint, so it resists stains and chemicals better. Since it is static applied and then baked on, it is also more resistant to chips, compared with paint. It probably wouldn't be possible to put a pc clear layer on top of color anyways, it must be applied to bare metal.

Here's a quote from Custom Color From Custom Powder Coating
"We highly recommend a clear powder coat on top of any color you choose. The addition of the clear significantly increases the durability. "

I think that the base material just has to be conductive enough to hold an even charge across it's surface (Just like your skin holds a charge until tou touch that door knob.)

That being said, I agree with Nine Ball that powder coating is much more chip resistant than paint, and I also question the need for a clear coat (and I'd be concerned about how well it would bond to the base coat.)

Just make sure that the product will withstand the heat from the rotors, especially if you are driving some fast tracks ! (There are low heat and high heat powder types)

OP
OP
R

rcl4668

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's a quote from Custom Color From Custom Powder Coating
"We highly recommend a clear powder coat on top of any color you choose. The addition of the clear significantly increases the durability. "

I think that the base material just has to be conductive enough to hold an even charge across it's surface (Just like your skin holds a charge until tou touch that door knob.)

That being said, I agree with Nine Ball that powder coating is much more chip resistant than paint, and I also question the need for a clear coat (and I'd be concerned about how well it would bond to the base coat.)

Just make sure that the product will withstand the heat from the rotors, especially if you are driving some fast tracks ! (There are low heat and high heat powder types)

Awesome feedback. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960