Pictures of Shifters

CHAOS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I am going to get a new shifter after missing a 3-4 shift (did a 3-2 instead) at 90+ MPH. I like the Hurst for nostalgic reasons and was wondering if they have anything other than the UPS truck looking bent black bar that I see in advertisments. I am looking for something more flat with a logo than round bar.

Since I would imagine all of the after market shifters are "similarly" better I am hoping some can post pictures of what they look like in the car.:drive:

Big Al

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I could be interested in this shifter as well. How involved is the install? Does it need to be professionally done or can a handy backyard mechanic do it?

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the MGW First Strike. It has finger groove and a flat Sneaky Pete emblem on top of the ball.

Partsrack has them.

PartsRack.com

P9270293.JPG

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am going to get a new shifter after missing a 3-4 shift (did a 3-2 instead) at 90+ MPH. I like the Hurst for nostalgic reasons and was wondering if they have anything other than the UPS truck looking bent black bar that I see in advertisments. I am looking for something more flat with a logo than round bar.

Since I would imagine all of the after market shifters are "similarly" better I am hoping some can post pictures of what they look like in the car.:drive:

Are you looking for a new shifter? shift rod? shifter knob?

As far as shifters...
I have a B'M, Mopar (Hurst) Performance, Archer Racing and and a MGW shifter(from Mark at Woodhouse)
IMO... The MGW-Woodhouse shifter works the best. It has "stops" to help make sure you don't cause damage by slamming gears. It has a "ratchet' type feel when shifting gears.

As far as shifter rods/height....
B'M and the MGW are made so that you can use diferent height shifter rods. The Mopar/Hurst does not have this option.

I have the MGW "first strike" shifter knob in my cars...FWIW

"Missed 3-4 shift".... Might check engine/trans mounts.
Poly mounts make a big difference there also...

Last edited:

RevHeat

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Are you holding the shift knob like a pistol? If you are, I suggust learing to downshift with the cup of your palm of your hand over the top of the knob. You let your fingers extend down the lever to provide support and guidence.

I have the MGW First Strike and like it a lot.

Rev

Roffle Waffle

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This is not the Woodhouse Viper web page FYI. The MGW shifter can be bought from me.

You must be registered for see images attach

is there an increased effort compared to the oem shifter with mgw knob?

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the same subject line, does anyone offer an adapter to install the Hurst shifter ball to a stock shifter? Thanks. And I appologize to Chaos for changing the subject just a lil. John

Reaction score
is there an increased effort compared to the oem shifter with mgw knob?

Yes the reduced leverage from the tall stock shift handle is increasing the overall effort but in a good way I feel. The reverse spring is lighter than stock though so you can get it into reverse still with one hand. :rolaugh:

Xhlr8n

Enthusiast
Reaction score
An old shifting method thats usually helpful (regardless of shifter), shift 1st to 2nd with palm on passanger side of handle (thumb up) so when you pull down it will very, very slightly pull towards 2nd only, then rotate your hand to driver side of handle (thumb down) so when you push up it will very,very slightly push away into 3rd, keep hand in this position for rest of gear changes, takes alittle getting use to, mistakenly shifting into a higher gear its defintely not as bad as shifting into a wrong lower gear at high speed! Hope it helps.

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, that's a nice set-up and a great price! Do you have a version for the Gen IV's?

Chaos, I had Dan @ Viper Specality make a custom length stock shifter (1 1/2 drop). He uses your stock set up and modiies the length, or you can buy a complete set up and keep your stock shifter.

Reaction score
Mark, that's a nice set-up and a great price! Do you have a version for the Gen IV's?

Chaos, I had Dan @ Viper Specality make a custom length stock shifter (1 1/2 drop). He uses your stock set up and modiies the length, or you can buy a complete set up and keep your stock shifter.

Yes the MGW shifter will fit Gen3/4 cars, in stock always. :2tu:

Shank2117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I bought the MGW one from Woodhouse and completely love it, they should come factory on vipers.

SquadX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had the B M in my last two vipers and loved it.
Also might want to call woodhouse for there engine and trans mount. Makes a world of difference.

Kadeuces

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ordered a shorter shift rod and used my stock shift knob. ($75 from XVipers). Its much more comfortable (leather) than the hard plastic of the MGW one. I also had Venzano do some custom green stitching put into it, the e brake and the steering wheel.

Lawrenzo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I did the same thing- I also prefer the feel of the factory leather to the MGW synthetic. I only wish that I had done this with my other 3 Vipers:smirk:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456