Planning ahead

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only owned my Viper for a couple months now and am enjoying it very much. I am planning a couple long distance driving trips for next Summer. So I'm going to make a few changes to the car and I need some input from some of you.
First - Has anyone installed the Cruise Control system that is offered by Snake Oyl Products? Are you satisfied with how well it works?
Now before anyone flames me for Cruise Control it's nice to have on a long trip. :drive:
Second - I'm looking for a Stereo / GPS unit that fits in the stock opening in the dash. Can anyone recommend a unit that the Navigation screen automatically slides out from the unit like a Cd would and then rotates up? If you know what I mean?

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about advancing your plans to THIS summer and attend VOI 12 with the rest of the Ontario chapter? It should be a total blast :)

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actualy contact Viper specialty. Dan Lesser. I know he has done that type of install, That is a Dodge nav and stereo system into a Viper. GTS Bruce

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From another Ontario guy, welcome to the VCA forums! :)

I have heard many good things about the cruise system although I have never used one personally.

I guess a question for you is what year and model?

Another option for install may be Garett at Ontario Chrysler. Although he is dealer, he has the skills to do a lot of custom stuff! :) (And he is one of only two Viper techs that have let touch my car so you know he has skills!! ;) )

And as for VOI, yes. If you have the ability to, attend VOI. Nothing compares to a VOI. WAAAAAY too much fun! :D

OP
OP

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi MoparBoy
Met you at a Milestones Dinner about 2 months ago. Didn't have my Viper yet.
It's a 2001 RT/10 - Yellow
I have met and talked to Garrett on few occasions. He hasn't had a lot experience with the Cruise System. I also talked to JonB.
I was really hoping hear from someone who has it and used it.
I have ordered a 3.55 gear set. Garrett will be installing that.

OP
OP

10PISTNZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was considering VOI 12. I have a concern about the tires though. There is plenty of tread left but they are 11 years old. Not sure I want to chance a 16hour drive.
They are on my todo list over the Winter months. Just not in the budget now.

blackandblue01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Alot of companies have discontinued the half din flip outs. All of today's new cars come with full din factory head units. My opinion is try to find a new old stock alpine IVA-D106. Alot of alpine add ons work great with it. Gps, sat. Radio, etc. I found mine on eBay. Good luck. Jim

Mutts02GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only owned my Viper for a couple months now and am enjoying it very much. I am planning a couple long distance driving trips for next Summer. So I'm going to make a few changes to the car and I need some input from some of you.
First - Has anyone installed the Cruise Control system that is offered by Snake Oyl Products? Are you satisfied with how well it works?
Now before anyone flames me for Cruise Control it's nice to have on a long trip. :drive:
Second - I'm looking for a Stereo / GPS unit that fits in the stock opening in the dash. Can anyone recommend a unit that the Navigation screen automatically slides out from the unit like a Cd would and then rotates up? If you know what I mean?

I have the Snakeoyl cruise control on my 02 GTS, have had it for almost two years now, easy install, seven wires if memory serves. Works fine, remote battery lasts about 6-8 months is what I have seen, don't know if that is typical or not, remote is velcroed on for ease of battery change. Took about 90 minutes for the install. Take care. Jeff

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi MoparBoy
Met you at a Milestones Dinner about 2 months ago. Didn't have my Viper yet.
It's a 2001 RT/10 - Yellow
I have met and talked to Garrett on few occasions. He hasn't had a lot experience with the Cruise System. I also talked to JonB.
I was really hoping hear from someone who has it and used it.
I have ordered a 3.55 gear set. Garrett will be installing that.

Oh that is YOU! :yay: Sweet! Glad to hear you got the car now! :)

Excellent choice on color btw.

As for tires, yeah. New ones would really be a good idea! Vipers bite back when playing on old ones.

As for a tire source, might I suggest calling Viper Parts Of America for the hell of it just to see? You would be amazed at how cheap US tires are! :)