Plastic part under front wheel well - What is it for?

Tim Purtell

Viper Owner
Reaction score
OK, so I'm driving home after a track event a few weekends ago and I hear this horrible scraping noise as I drive next to this country road's occassional guard rails. What is it I think? Is it really there (my car is so loud mind you with the Corsa Track installed). Next guard rail, same noise - so I pull over and look under the car, nothing - I look under the passenger wheel well and sure enough, there is a 15" long or so piece of plastic, 3" wide, about 1/4" thick - that hangs from the rear of the front wheel well which is (was) held on with 3 plastic push pins. 2 of the push pins had come loose, so the thing pivoted down until it hit the road hence the scraping noise. I pulled it off with my hand and made my way home with no issue. Of course, the thing is no longer its original length as about 4" of it had worn down from road friction before I heard it.

Question - what is this thing? It appears its function is to extend the rear of the wheel well down about 1" or so. Is it for some type of rock protection - but for the underside of the car? Is it aerodynamic? Do I need to replace it? A friend had an 08, and it does not have this plastic extension piece at all.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Attachments

• 20080408_0091_1.jpg
    20080408_0091_1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 93

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dodge refers to its use as a wind deflector but it does look like a rock guard Chrysler #5029614AA 20.95: the plastic screws are Part 6504521, 3.75 each. I had the same thing happen a while back,decided not to replace for the time being. Hope this helps

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is an air deflector. If you are using the car on a road course, you should definitely replace it. There is one on each side. Just get some new pushpins and a new deflector from Partsrack or your dealer and put it back on. You should probably check the other side to see if it is also coming loose. They are the lowest point on the car. Even if an object clears the front fascia, it still may grab onto one of the deflectors. Also, if you drive out of an exit, parking lot, driveway, etc. and it has a dip downward between it and the road, the deflector(s) will hit unless you angle the car just right. With a normal exhaust you can hear it scrape. These events can loosen the pushpins. Its not a bad idea to check them every once in a while. My own practice is to do a complete vehicle walk around at least once a week because I drive the Viper at least three times a week.

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that flap is designed to cause turbulence directing air towards the exhaust in order to help cool things down. if your car is lowered. they will scrape speed bumps and other things on the road.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My car seemed to feel hotter inside when I lost mine. My car is lowered and I knocked the push pins out. It took hours for the guy to find the right part. I should have just bought about 20 of those stupid push pins.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep, air deflector. And yep happened to me too.

Heard somethign clanking, checked it out, saw it hanging. Figured I'd look on the other side to see how the other one was doing... it was already long gone.