Please advise before i buy!

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Getting ready to purchase a 2002 dodge viper final edition gts, the car seems 100% flawless I can't Find a chip in the paint or crack in the leather, 17,800 miles. Tires are new, brakes are new, all fluids look minty clean, Here's The catch, the car shows 1 accident in 2012, I payed for the accident report at necrash.com. Found out the previous owner lost it in the rain and hit a small tree in a grass median in clearwater florida, no air bags went off, the car was functional and was not towed, no one was hurt. Title is clear. Accident report says there was a crack in the hood, front bumper and passenger headlight, these 3 items were replaced, you can't even tell because it looks perfect, this car is going to cost me 42 grand. I don't think its worth that BUT it's in my back Yard and they are willing to finance me because I'm putting down a c5 corvette that's paid for,

Anyhow what I want to know is how much is a final edition that is cherry condition with a medium level accident worth? I'm hoping 35,000 EASY money, if so I'll be a new viper owner finally !!

SRToad4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No dealership would go from 42 to 35. You'd be lucky if they went down to 40k.

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to make sure it's worth 35 all day, they aren't coming down to 35 I don't want to buy it if the accident makes it worth less than 35

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have them put it on a rack? Id look at the frame for any buckling evidence or signs of repair. I'd also go back take a deep breath and look at the car from a distance as well as close up. How do the gaps look around the hood and the front fascia. Does everything look tight, even and square? These cars are notorious for uneven gaps, especially on a rebuilt car. Take your best and most picky car buddy with you as an extra set of eyes is always invaluable. Otherwise, as said above, if it tracks perfectly and it's in great shape, buy it.

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know the hood gape between bumper looked a little big to me at first but then I looked at more online and a lot of them look that way, one thing I don't really like about vipers...but I still want one for sure.

denniskgb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
even with very minor accident its worth $42,000.00. It is afinal edition and they only made 360 of them. now! you need to realize that you are not shopping for a vette....there is boat load of them out there you know that. even salvage title vipers are bringing good money and banks finance them. you want to buy a clean one like one on ebay right now with 6K or 7k miles be prepared to pay under $50K or more. this a very minor accident helps to bring the value down but you are not going to rob it out right. JMO

Last edited:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
As Camfab has suggested...check it out, and avoid the car's geographic proximity playing such a major role that you relax your guard.

"minor accident"???...I suppose that is an assumption based on the lack of KNOWN structural damage and the lack of airbag deployment. As you likely know, the Gen I and II Vipers led the US market in cost of vehicle repairs through the late 90's and early 2000 years...average about $26,000.00 per incident...mainly due to the cost of a new hood and the painting of same.

Aside from all of that, you NEED to have a competent, knowledgeable Viper Tech inspect the car from ALL angles...frame, panel fit, etc. I have see Gen II's "tap" a curb stone and puncture the coolant overflow in the nose, AND break parts behind the nose that are hard to detect. Worrisome to me is the fact that more than one Gen II has been "cobbled" back together when the plastic frame holding the headlights and radiator, etc. was damaged but not replaced. I have seem LAG BOLTS and stacks of fender washers used in a pathetic attempt to align the nose and hood. Also, "all of the fluids look minty clean"... fluids can look new by sucking out the reservoirs and refilling them without doing a correct/complete service. There are a lot of tricks out there.

As far as worth goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. As noted they made 360 of the FE's...so it's not like they have all disappeared. While I agree that they are striking, value will certainly come into play if/when you try to recoup your cost for a wrecked, repainted vehicle. There are NON-wrecked 2001's out there for similar money.

Do your due diligence before you do the deal...then, do what pleases you !!! Best of luck.

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Words from the wise, thanks. Any recommendation for a viper expert in the tampa area?

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe I should avoid buying a wrecked viper, I'm also 26 years old and every once in a while I will get a little loose in my vette. I'm sort of scared of my self in a viper without traction control. I'm sure there will be a point when I show boat on the Street

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh…there are a few of us "experts" in the area. Especially GEN-II… IF the dealer allows, drive it to my place and we can put it on my lift and really take a close, relaxed look at it.

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they will let me take to a shop that's to far, your in valrico?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Let the Florida folks give you some help...AND, I would suggest that you consider contacting the sponsor of this very section:

Doug Levin Motorsports, Inc - 4711 SW 83rd Terrace - Davie FL 33328 - 305 249-RACE (Dade) - 954-434-9DLM (Broward)

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not sure if they will let me take to a shop that's to far, your in valrico?

Yes. I could argue a dealership resistance to allowing a potential customer to take a Viper out of the area for an inspection both ways. But at the end of the day, its just a 12 yrs old used Dodge. Some dealers are great and "get it" while others have some sort of untrustworthy fear of a customer doing unscrupulous things. I guess the dealer's handling of a request like this would be some sort of indicator as well. Personally, I think the car is probably good to go, but the piece of mind that comes with a purchase like this can be priceless as well.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a prospective buyer, you are a little worried about the car having been in an accident and want to use it as a leverage to get a better price on the car.
As an owner, when the time come to sell the car, you will be facing the same situation, but in reversed roles, with any potential buyers.
Is that worth it?
Not at $42K when you have so many no-issues cars around

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, they are willing to take my vette on trade though, they wanted 35k out the door with my c5 in trade after all the taxes and all the crap, I got them down to 30K out the door plus my 2000 C5 corvette 6 speed with 50k miles, the vette little do they know needs a clutch and harmonic balancer plus headlights motors

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I know, I'm leery of this deal. I'm not buying the viper until I get someone to take a look at it and drive it

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Gen2 Viper is right up there with the Gen3's in terms of price...or even more expensive if you are looking at a mint one. In terms of holding their Value, you can't really go wrong with such a car, but expect to pay in the mid 40s for a nice one with low miles.

rdutko

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree, they are willing to take my vette on trade though, they wanted 35k out the door with my c5 in trade after all the taxes and all the crap, I got them down to 30K out the door plus my 2000 C5 corvette 6 speed with 50k miles, the vette little do they know needs a clutch and harmonic balancer plus headlights motors

And your worried about them screwing you....LOL

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the deal is done. I ended up coughing up my vette and $31700.00 for the final edition GTS. I paid joe from powertech ( viper joe ) here in the forums to come have a peek. He builds race cars for a living and has repaired the box frame on a 1996 GTS after his friend ditched one. He came and took a look, he could not tell the car had been wrecked if it was not for the car fax. No welding to the frame, no mismatched bolts on either side. Everything lined up as good as a viper would from the factory. The shims were in place. It's drove great. There is not one scratch on the car or flaw In the interior. I get to pick it up at lunch time tomorow : ). I'm very nervous and scared of it. I just finished reading the new owners safety sticky. Sounds like the most torquey car on the planet. Yikes

Indy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats!! Take it easy at first.....the torque on the Viper can change the rotation of earth :) And don't forget to post some pics!!

Free2go

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And replace the power steering bracket and pulley... : )

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too cool. Enjoy. Do you want to meet-up for wings or something Saturday? I know you'll be anxious to put some miles on. I think the weather is suppose to be nice.

OP
OP
A

armed2012

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be down for some wings but I couldn't do it this saterday. Got to work! I just drove the car, WOW I love it. What an awsome ride.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang